How long can America keep going before it defaults

Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 5:04 pm

Probably another 4 years then It will collapse as China takes Americas place as the world super power!![youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxCxHM5Ax_k&feature=related[/youtube]

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Mike_Garrick
Toucan
Toucan

22 Aug 2012, 5:09 pm

JWC wrote:
I read a breakdown of how that ammo will be distributed, and it actually comes out to around 500-700 rounds per agent. The total amount sounds excessive, but when you factor in the fact that it is meant to cover training, practice and on duty usage for an entire year it really isn't that much. I usually go through 300-500 rounds in an afternoon of target shooting. I'll post a link to the source as soon as I can find it.

Do you practice with .40 hollow points?
A type of ammunition that doesn't shoot through walls or body armor?
A type of ammunition designed specifically for killing an unarmored person in one shot?

JWC
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 5:19 pm

Mike_Garrick wrote:
JWC wrote:
I read a breakdown of how that ammo will be distributed, and it actually comes out to around 500-700 rounds per agent. The total amount sounds excessive, but when you factor in the fact that it is meant to cover training, practice and on duty usage for an entire year it really isn't that much. I usually go through 300-500 rounds in an afternoon of target shooting. I'll post a link to the source as soon as I can find it.

A type of ammunition designed specifically for killing an unarmored person in one shot?

When I had a .40 cal I did every once and a while. My statement spoke to the quantity, not the type of ammo. Also, as I stated in my original post, the claim is not that they are only for practice, but for on duty use as well.

Mike_Garrick
Toucan
Toucan

22 Aug 2012, 5:27 pm

JWC wrote:
Mike_Garrick wrote:
JWC wrote:

When I had a .40 cal I did every once and a while. My statement spoke to the quantity, not the type of ammo. Also, as I stated in my original post, the claim is not that they are only for practice, but for on duty use as well.

Well ok mister richy rich. :lol:
Best case they just wasted tax payer money.
I do know that you can easily go through 300+ rounds in an afternoon.
I'm concerned with the types of ammo though, they are ordering NATO rounds now for rifles.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 5:29 pm

Aspie_Chav wrote:
I am sure that those bullets also cost a lot more then the standard type.

Press TV? The Iranian government's mouthpiece?

You can do better than that can't you?

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 5:32 pm

Don't the Geneeva Conventions prohibit the use of hollow-point bullets?

Mike_Garrick
Toucan
Toucan

22 Aug 2012, 5:35 pm

MDD123 wrote:

Via Wikipedia so take it with a grain of salt.

The Hague Convention of 1899, Declaration III, prohibited the use in international warfare of bullets that easily expand or flatten in the body.[3] This is often incorrectly believed to be prohibited in the Geneva Conventions, but it significantly predates those conventions, and is in fact a continuance of the St. Petersburg Declaration of 1868, which banned exploding projectiles of less than 400 grams, as well as weapons designed to aggravate injured soldiers or make their death inevitable. NATO members do not use small arms ammunition that is prohibited by the Hague Convention.

Despite the ban on military use, hollow-point bullets are one of the most common types of civilian and police ammunition, due largely to the reduced risk of bystanders being hit by over-penetrating or ricocheted bullets, and the increased speed of incapacitation. In many jurisdictions, even ones such as the United Kingdom, where expanding ammunition is generally prohibited, it is illegal to hunt certain types of game with ammunition that does not expand.[4][5] Some target ranges forbid full metal jacket ammunition, due to its greater tendency to damage metal targets and backstops.[6]

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 6:24 pm

another 8 to 12 years then it is kaput unless are are some major austerity policies and cutbacks in government expenditure. When the roof caves in or the government has to cut back, some people will die as a result. That is the consequence of 100 years of digging the nation into a hole (or the grave).

ruveyn

JWC
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 10:13 am

Mike_Garrick wrote:
JWC wrote:
Mike_Garrick wrote:
JWC wrote:

Well ok mister richy rich. :lol:
Best case they just wasted tax payer money.
I do know that you can easily go through 300+ rounds in an afternoon.
I'm concerned with the types of ammo though, they are ordering NATO rounds now for rifles.

Here's the article I was referring to:

Quote:
Federal Law Enforcement Agencies Buy Ammunition
Posted on August 17, 2012

You may recently have seen some in the Internet rumor mill feverishly repeating the
obvious truth above, in an effort to stir up fear about recent acquisitions of
ammunition by the Department of Homeland Security and a number of smaller
agencies. The mildest writers have questioned why seemingly mundane agencies
would need ammunition at all; more incendiary authors suggest that these
government agencies are preparing for a war with the American people.

Much of the concern stems from a lack of understanding of the law enforcement
functions carried about by officers in small federal agencies. These agents have the
power to make arrests and execute warrants, just like their better-known
counterparts at agencies like the FBI.

For instance, the Social Security Administration solicited offers for 174,000
rounds of pistol ammunition. But the agency has 295 special agents who combat
Social Security fraud that costs tax payers billions each year, so the order works out
to roughly 590 rounds of ammunition per agent for training, mandatory quarterly
qualification shooting and duty use. More than a few NRA members would use
that much ammunition in a weekend shooting class or plinking session.

Another recent rumor questioned a request for 46,000 rounds of.40-caliber ammo
by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. NOAA inadvertently
fueled that speculation through a clerical error that suggested the ammunition was
destined for the National Weather Service. NOAA later clarified that the
ammunition was actually for the little known Fisheries Office of Law
Enforcement, which enforces laws against illegal fishing and marine life
importation. The ammunition is for 63 personnel, amounting to about 730 rounds
per officer.

The most widespread of the recent rumors involves a Department of Homeland
Security contract for a maximum of 450 million rounds of .40-caliber jacketed
hollow-points, to be supplied over the next five years.

After receiving numerous questions from his constituents regarding the contract,
pro-Second Amendment U.S. Rep. Lynn Westmoreland (R-Ga.) and his staff set out
in search of the truth. In a press release, Rep. Westmoreland's office explains:

If you take the number of agencies that will be using this ammunition – CBP,
Citizenship and Immigration Services, the Federal Emergency Management Agency
(FEMA), ICE, the U.S. Secret Service, Transportation Security Administration, the
DHS police force, and all the guards that protect the various buildings these
agencies are housed in, and spread that out over 5 years, you start to see that 450
million rounds really isn't that large of an order. Especially considering it is used
for training purposes like firing range and live fire exercises, on-the-job use
(though that is very limited), and to shore up their supplies. In fact, there are
65,000 – 70,000 law enforcement personnel at DHS who would be covered under
this … ammunition contract. If DHS were to purchase all 450 million rounds over
5 years, then that would equate to only about 1,384 rounds of ammo per year per
law enforcement [officer] … assuming the lower estimate of only 65,000 law
enforcement personnel at DHS. Considering those agents go through training
exercises several times per year, that is not a lot of ammunition.

Perhaps most strangely, some have cited the purchase of hollow-point ammunition
as evidence of the federal government's evil motives. Hollow-points are the
defensive ammunition of choice for federal, state and local law enforcement
officers across the country, just as they are for private citizens. These attacks are
eerily similar to statements made by gun prohibitionists, who spent the much of the
'70s, '80s and '90s complaining about "dum dum" bullets. (In fact, the Violence
Policy Center's website still exhibits a publication lamenting that federal
ammunition law "has no effect on today's generation of high-tech hollow-point
ammunition.") The attacks also ignore the fact that federal agents, unlike average
taxpayers on more limited budgets, normally train and qualify with their duty
ammunition.

As most gun owners will agree, skepticism of government is healthy. But today,
there are more than enough actual threats to the Second Amendment to keep gun
owners busy. With two key Supreme Court decisions hanging by a one-vote
margin, the Justice Department deeply involved in a cover-up of a disastrous
Mexican gun smuggling operation, and President Obama touting a ban on popular
semi-automatic firearms, there is no need to invent additional threats to our rights.

It was posted on another forum that I frequent, with no link to the original source. Interpret it as you see fit.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 10:15 am

The USA pays its debts in currency created out of thin air so it should never default. The ridiculous "debt ceiling" though can force it to not create that currency and thus default, but that is a constraint entirely chosen and not at all necessary.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 10:16 am

MDD123 wrote:

Militaries are not supposed to use it but it's the favourite ammo of the fuzz.

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 10:36 am

If we re-elect Obama it won't be long before we default. If we don't re-elect him, the first thing the new president needs to do is to stop all of the massive spending we have done in the past twelve years. We will never get back to having no debt, but we will could at least cut our losses. * again this all depends on Obama's re-election *

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 10:44 am

Brainfre3ze_93 wrote:
If we re-elect Obama it won't be long before we default. If we don't re-elect him, the first thing the new president needs to do is to stop all of the massive spending we have done in the past twelve years. We will never get back to having no debt, but we will could at least cut our losses. * again this all depends on Obama's re-election *

If we cut 1.2 trillion immediately from the budget the nation would immediately go into a deep recession if not a depression. Collapsing tax revenues further. Even Romney says he won't do that. The relatively modest "fiscal cliff" cuts that are set to happen next year may do that alone according to economists.

The Republicans are working very hard to make this a spending problem only. It's not. It's a revenue collapse and tax cut problem as well. Everyone thinks their pony wasnt the expensive one and that daddy shouldnt return it.

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 10:51 am

simon_says wrote:
Brainfre3ze_93 wrote:

If we cut 1.2 trillion immediately from the budget the nation would immediately go into a deep recession if not a depression. Collapsing tax revenues further. Even Romney says he won't do that. The relatively modest "fiscal cliff" cuts that are set to happen next year may do that alone according to economists.

The Republicans are working very hard to make this a spending problem only. It's not. It's a revenue collapse and tax cut problem as well. Everyone thinks their pony wasnt the expensive one and that daddy shouldnt return it.

That's the thing that bothers me, but remember this massive spending problem has been going on since Bush was elected. If we had a better tax code that wasn't as complicated. Perhaps we can take care of the tax cut problem as well of revenue. When I was talking about massive spending, the biggest two I was refering to was the 768 trillion *or so * dollar stimulus. The national health care program that Obama has pushed for is another to cut out.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 11:17 am

Quote:
That's the thing that bothers me, but remember this massive spending problem has been going on since Bush was elected. If we had a better tax code that wasn't as complicated. Perhaps we can take care of the tax cut problem as well of revenue. When I was talking about massive spending, the biggest two I was refering to was the 768 trillion *or so * dollar stimulus. The national health care program that Obama has pushed for is another to cut out.

Simplifying the tax code is usually an argument put forward by people who are hoping to come out on the other side paying less. Others might repeat it for them but it has little do with the actual deficit. Like tax cuts Republicans will put it forward as the solution for what ails ya, rain or shine. Got cancer? Well, simplifying the tax code should fix it. Both Romney and Ryan want to *reduce taxes*, not increase them and "reform" is their mantra too.

As for PPACA (Obamacare), it's going to reduce the deficit according to the CBO because it raises revenue (has taxes). Opinion on the law aside, it's a good thing that it has taxes and penalties. That's how government programs are supposed to be paid for. So it's not just tossed on the deficit. If the projections are eventually found to be incorrect then more revenue should be raised to pay for it. That's good policy. Compare that to the BUsh medicare expansion that costs 60 billion / year and is entirely unpaid for. Just borrowing from China. That's a bad funding mechanism.

The stimulus is almost entirely spent so there is nothing to do about it. That was a one time expense that isnt factored into our ongoing deficit problem. Some economists think we should be spending more right now seeing as money is cheap to borrow and the economy is fragile and would benefit. Something everyone basically agrees with in principle as they are afraid to either raise taxes or deeply slash spending and even Republicans are crying about the damage it would cause if the automatic budget cuts kick in.

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 11:33 am

simon_says wrote:
Quote:

Simplifying the tax code is usually an argument put forward by people who are hoping to come out on the other side paying less. Others might repeat it for them but it has little do with the actual deficit. Like tax cuts Republicans will put it forward as the solution for what ails ya, rain or shine. Got cancer? Well, simplifying the tax code should fix it. Both Romney and Ryan want to *reduce taxes*, not increase them and "reform" is their mantra too.

As for PPACA (Obamacare), it's going to reduce the deficit according to the CBO because it raises revenue (has taxes). Opinion on the law aside, it's a good thing that it has taxes and penalties. That's how government programs are supposed to be paid for. So it's not just tossed on the deficit. If the projections are eventually found to be incorrect then more revenue should be raised to pay for it. That's good policy. Compare that to the BUsh medicare expansion that costs 60 billion / year and is entirely unpaid for. Just borrowing from China. That's a bad funding mechanism.

The stimulus is almost entirely spent so there is nothing to do about it. That was a one time expense that isnt factored into our ongoing deficit problem. Some economists think we should be spending more right now seeing as money is cheap to borrow and the economy is fragile and would benefit. Something everyone basically agrees with in principle as they are afraid to either raise taxes or deeply slash spending and even Republicans are crying about the damage it would cause if the automatic budget cuts kick in.

How do economists saying spending more money is the solution. Wouldn't you spend less if your were in a fiancial debt? Also I never said I was for the Bush medicare expansion. How was the stimulus never factored into the deficit is if it was an expense?