ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 8:25 am

Raptor wrote:
fueledbycoffee wrote:
Raptor wrote:
fueledbycoffee wrote:
Censorship is something that everyone should object to. The only problem with objecting to this particular style of censorship is that so many objectors object seemingly in order to be as offensive as possible and have an excuse for it. If someone's not being an obnoxious prat, then as both the liberal and the conservative supports personal liberty (supposedly), censorship should be unacceptable. This shouldn't be a partisan issue, and I'll thank you for not trying to turn it into one.

Too late; you've already said that I sicken you so in order to maintain my status as a sickener I'll have to continue to make you sick otherwise I've allowed you to pwn me.
Just for you I now embrace censorship to a fanatical degree whereas I did not before. :P

Wow. See the power I have over this man? You see?! I AM THE MESSIAH!

Now, minion, I order you to post whatever you want without any sort of decorum or civility.

Sorry, doesn't work that way. :twisted:

It doesn't? I thought that was the way things usually happened.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 8:35 am

fueledbycoffee wrote:
True story. This morning, I went to a coffee shop for my breakfast. I've been binging on Kipling lately, and brought along the novel Kim, which despite having seen the film numerous times, I'd never read. Pretty good book, as I've come to expect from the man. Well, about a half hour and two cups of coffee in, a young lady asks me what I'm reading. When I tell her, she launches into a tirade about Kipling's sexist, racist pro-imperialist agenda, and how I should be ashamed of myself.

Suppose she were to catch you reading

Would the Disney version be sanitized enough for the modern Feminist?

And, I've never heard of anyone complaining of Kipling being "sexist."

Are you really supposed to limit your reading to Feminist rants?

fueledbycoffee
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 9:16 am

ArrantPariah wrote:

Virtually none of Kipling's work, or much Victorian/Edwardian literature at all, has any sort of strong female character. If they exist at all, they are simply depedent on the male characters or there to cheer them on. Modern feminists hate that crap.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 10:13 am

Do Feminists like the Brontë sisters?

If you would cut out this image

and place it over whatever book you happen to be reading, then people would consider you to be politically correct and leave you alone.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 10:23 am

fueledbycoffee wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:

Virtually none of Kipling's work, or much Victorian/Edwardian literature at all, has any sort of strong female character. If they exist at all, they are simply depedent on the male characters or there to cheer them on. Modern feminists hate that crap.

There is one powerful female in Kipling,Nagina,the female cobra in Rikki Tikki Tavi,I felt sorry for the cobras.It was their garden till the Anglos showed up.

@Ap,you can make money with that idea,that's a good one!

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 2:35 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
Do Feminists like the Brontë sisters?

If you would cut out this image

and place it over whatever book you happen to be reading, then people would consider you to be politically correct and leave you alone.

Lol

Valerie Solanas tried to kill Andy Warhol

I always thought there must be far better targets than him really - he wasn't a misogynist in my opinion and I'm pretty sure he
was an aspie too - that might have been his problem - he might have said something blunt to her

Hugh Heffner would have been a far better target

It would be funny if she was an aspie too

I often think people who do radical things might have been aspies

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 3:20 pm

Kipling could have done women characters. All he needed to do is see the move: As Good as It Gets which is about a male author who does women characters How does he succeed so well? Here is the answer right from the movie:

In the movie, “As good as it gets”, Jack Nicholson, who plays a writer in the movie, is just leaving the publisher. The young female receptionist asks Nicholson a question.
Receptionist:

“How do you write women so well?”

Nicholson:

“I think of a man and I take away reason and accountability.”

ruveyn

EmoGlambertAspie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 3:32 pm

I believe that however a book was written, if the beliefs were appropriate for the time leave them in. I even think it's okay to call someone a "n****r" or "f****t" in a book today - characterization! If someone uses those terms cruelly in real life, that's their right - but it's also everyone else's right to speak out against it, correct them (in the case of dalse statements like "All f****ts rape children," "N****rs always use Welfare and don't work," etc.) or boycott them.

wittgenstein
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 3:44 pm

If troll =one that loves to instigate intense debates and likes to prepare for them, then "troll" is a compliment. Socrates called himself a gadfly. * Not bad company to be associated with!
* I am assuming that Plato was not putting words into Socrates mouth.

I love debate!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtckVng_1a0
My debate style is calm and deadly!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-230v_ecAcM

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 4:38 pm

/\
I've had the title of troll bestowed upon me here by a few people and I consider it a compliment given who they are. :D