Page 8 of 8 [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 12:08 am

sliqua-jcooter wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
The most obvious and frequent lie is "the government is coming to take your guns".

...but it's, in a large number of cases, true. Every proposed gun ban has included some sort of provision that ends up with the banned guns in the hands of the government. They're not explicitly rounding the national guard to go door-to-door confiscating guns, but the effect is the same.

It hasn't happened, despite frequent 'warnings' that it is imminent. Hence "proposed"... I think we both agreed that manufacturers are the ones to benefit the most from that hysteria.

sliqua-jcooter wrote:
If you ban people being able to legally buy or sell "assault weapons", even if you provide an exemption for all the guns of that type currently existing today - when that person dies, you can't legally do anything with the gun except give it back to the government to be destroyed.

I don't really like that term as I find it to be misapplied and slippery in general ("Assault weapons")

sliqua-jcooter wrote:
My grandfather's service revolver just recently went to my uncle when he passed - and I know that when my uncle passes, it will go to someone - possibly me or one of my cousins. And I know that when they pass, it will go to their children or someone else in our family. It symbolizes everything he stood for as an FBI agent, and I would be truly horrified if, one day, the government decides to pass a law that makes it illegal to buy or sell that revolver - insuring that eventually it will leave our family forever. The thought literally makes me sick, even though I realize that it's relatively unlikely that revolvers would be targeted.

However, imagine that instead of a service pistol it was an M-16 from Vietnam.

I didn't think you tough gun lovers were so sentimental :P I'm not sure what the ideal solution to that is but there is no reason your family shouldn't be able to keep that weapon, its clearly an heirloom

sliqua-jcooter wrote:
They have a marketing database of people that they believe might want to buy an NRA membership - the same way that Cat Fancy has a marketing database of people they believe might want a subscription.

There's a big difference between that and a database of everyone who has ever purchased a gun - what types of guns they own - and, oh by the way, one FOIA request and it's yours.

Obviously it isn't information of the same calibre as a national registry but nonetheless I find it hilarious on some level. What I think is great about their database is the NRA's stance on collecting information on gun owners. According to the NRA, that is like two steps away from FEMA concentration camps, so collecting data on gun owners that sympathize with them seems counter-intuitive to their messages on registries given how easily that information could be taken by the government.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 12:32 am

redriverronin wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
redriverronin wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
redriverronin wrote:
I know you wish I was ret*d I would be pulled in by you misinformation and BS but sorry iam just a bad writer is all. It occurs to me every single day just how important Machiavellis thoughts on people and how to deal with them are when iam online though I don't feel the need to be that fake. :P

You are so smart

Thanks for noticing you 2 :)

If I hold my windpipe closed until I black out several times from oxygen deprivation, would that maybe help me to be more like you

No you would first need air duster then you would need to eat lost of tooth paste then oxygen deprivation hope that helps.

I'm starting to like this guy

Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 12:47 am

sliqua-jcooter wrote:

Well, hunting big game, for one.

Then a rifle is better.

Quote:
Quote:
Moreover, there exists explosive shells designed for the standard 12 gauge shotguns.
http://www.defensereview.com/exclusive- ... est-fired/

Quote:
01001011 wrote:
What problem because of prohibition you are talking about?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibitio ... rohibition

Or, you know, go read a book.

Quote:
And - *surprise* - it's classified as military ordinance and can't be purchased by civilians! Stop just googling random stuff.

The point is why it should be illegal. Even if we grant the constitution right does not include 'military ordinance', it does not mean such item must be banned. What I find funny is that from some hard cored libertarians, who is against any prohibition, their reaction to explosives is 'explosivez-r-bad', just ban those.

Quote:
Quote:
An did we say anything about accidents? Do you agree we are arguing here because people _deliberately_ use guns to kill other people?

Well, I don't know why *you're* arguing - but I would submit that the gun control advocates are pushing for gun control because guns are dangerous objects, not just because people use them to murder people. The danger something poses isn't just limited to what people use it for intentionally, but also what people use it for unintentionally.

I don't align with most gun control advocates. And the number of gun accident death is much smaller than intentional kills anyways.

Quote:
Why does there have to be a concrete benefit for either task? Why does carrying a gun have to provide concrete benefit while being carried to be allowed? Why does driving a car around for an hour have to have a benefit? People are allowed, in this country, to drive wherever they want for whatever reason - and people are allowed to carry a gun for whatever reason they want. The benefit to doing that is for them to decide.

Even if one is driving for no particular destination, he is doing so for some purpose (say entertainment). Simply carrying a gun is not using a gun, having a car parked in the garage is not using the car. That is what the article tries to confuse.

sliqua-jcooter
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 1:00 am

Vigilans wrote:
It hasn't happened, despite frequent 'warnings' that it is imminent. Hence "proposed"... I think we both agreed that manufacturers are the ones to benefit the most from that hysteria.

Yeah, but the people who actually believe that scenario are the same people who believe in FEMA camps.

Quote:
sliqua-jcooter wrote:
If you ban people being able to legally buy or sell "assault weapons", even if you provide an exemption for all the guns of that type currently existing today - when that person dies, you can't legally do anything with the gun except give it back to the government to be destroyed.

I don't really like that term as I find it to be misapplied and slippery in general ("Assault weapons")

Totally agreed, but I don't really have a better term for guns that lawmakers think look scary - which is the only accurate definition I can come up with for what lawmakers call "assault weapons". Rather than say all that, I choose to use their words in quotes so it's plain to see that I'm mocking their stupidity.

Quote:
sliqua-jcooter wrote:
My grandfather's service revolver just recently went to my uncle when he passed - and I know that when my uncle passes, it will go to someone - possibly me or one of my cousins. And I know that when they pass, it will go to their children or someone else in our family. It symbolizes everything he stood for as an FBI agent, and I would be truly horrified if, one day, the government decides to pass a law that makes it illegal to buy or sell that revolver - insuring that eventually it will leave our family forever. The thought literally makes me sick, even though I realize that it's relatively unlikely that revolvers would be targeted.

However, imagine that instead of a service pistol it was an M-16 from Vietnam.

I didn't think you tough gun lovers were so sentimental :P I'm not sure what the ideal solution to that is but there is no reason your family shouldn't be able to keep that weapon, its clearly an heirloom

I don't know anyone who has a gun collection of any kind that doesn't have some type of heirloom gun. Even apart from that example, I have a revolver that my step-father gave to me as a birthday present that is literally the only thing that I own that I actually consider irreplaceable.

Quote:
sliqua-jcooter wrote:
They have a marketing database of people that they believe might want to buy an NRA membership - the same way that Cat Fancy has a marketing database of people they believe might want a subscription.

There's a big difference between that and a database of everyone who has ever purchased a gun - what types of guns they own - and, oh by the way, one FOIA request and it's yours.

Obviously it isn't information of the same calibre as a national registry but nonetheless I find it hilarious on some level. What I think is great about their database is the NRA's stance on collecting information on gun owners. According to the NRA, that is like two steps away from FEMA concentration camps, so collecting data on gun owners that sympathize with them seems counter-intuitive to their messages on registries given how easily that information could be taken by the government.

At a high level it seems hypocritical, but if you know how marketing lists are created, you'd understand that the data the NRA collects for marketing purposes is almost useless in determining who is a gun owner. To illustrate the point, lets look at some of the probable sources for the list:

- NRA members. Well, duh. People who are (or were) members of the NRA may or may not own guns, but they certainly have an interest in guns. The thing to remember here though is that people have volunteered their information to the NRA. If someone tells the NRA that they are a gun owner, and is then upset that the NRA knows that they are a gun owner - then that person needs a lobotomy, followed by a castration for the betterment of mankind.

- People who have attended an NRA event, or been to an NRA-partnered shooting range. You can't really infer gun ownership from whether or not someone has been to an NRA event, or even if they've been to a shooting range (I've taken plenty of non-gun-owner friends to shooting ranges before).

- Subscribers to Guns & Ammo, Concealed Carry Magazine, etc. I think it's fair to say they have an interest in guns.

- Military veterans' lists. Well, you can be sure that they've at least been around guns - but still not a good indication of gun ownership.

- Registered Republican Males ages 16 through 30 in states that don't have strong gun control. Absolutely no indication whatsoever that they have any interest in guns - but they fit the target demographics of the NRA's primary pool of first time members, so they're worth sending some brochures to.

Even though we have a pretty well targeted list for marketing purposes - it's still incredibly noisy for purposes of actually identifying gun owners.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 1:06 am

Sherlock03 wrote:
If it was me I would use CNC for receivers and complicated frames and not for magazines. Only because magazines tend to be relatively uncomplicated.

True, but I didn't want to confuse the issue further by getting into sheet metal fabrication, I mentioned CNC because 3D printing had come up, and small CNC tools are the best comparison to make to that technology. I'm really surprised when I hear so many people freaking out about 3D printing when we've had CNC for years, and it can work in any material that can be cut; the only barrier up to now has been the price point.

Sheet metal is even easier, I think it was Larry Corriea that used to work in the NFA firearms field and described in detail the time he and a few business associates rented some time with an extrusion press (like what they use to make gutters) and turned out several thousand magazines over the course of a weekend. Then of course there's the ever popular AK build party...

- Rick Sanchez

sliqua-jcooter
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 1:09 am

01001011 wrote:
sliqua-jcooter wrote:

Well, hunting big game, for one.

Then a rifle is better.

Rifles aren't always allowed for hunting.

Quote:
The point is why it should be illegal. Even if we grant the constitution right does not include 'military ordinance', it does not mean such item must be banned. What I find funny is that from some hard cored libertarians, who is against any prohibition, their reaction to explosives is 'explosivez-r-bad', just ban those.

Yeah. Have fun with that circular logic. Explosives and guns are fundamentally two different things, just the same as rifles and knives are two different things. If you feel like debating the issue, go start an "explosives control" thread and I'm sure the interested parties would love to weigh in.

Quote:
I don't align with most gun control advocates. And the number of gun accident death is much smaller than intentional kills anyways.

So you don't want gun control because they're dangerous, but because people use them to kill other people. Am I understanding you correctly?

Quote:
Quote:
Why does there have to be a concrete benefit for either task? Why does carrying a gun have to provide concrete benefit while being carried to be allowed? Why does driving a car around for an hour have to have a benefit? People are allowed, in this country, to drive wherever they want for whatever reason - and people are allowed to carry a gun for whatever reason they want. The benefit to doing that is for them to decide.

Even if one is driving for no particular destination, he is doing so for some purpose (say entertainment). Simply carrying a gun is not using a gun, having a car parked in the garage is not using the car. That is what the article tries to confuse.

I assure you the article was certainly not talking about people hit by cars that were parked in garages. Nor was it talking about people not shot by people carrying, but not using, guns. So, once again, I have no effing idea what you're talking about. You might as well be writing Chinese.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 1:18 am

FYI and all, the government does come and take your firearms and whatever they deem as illegal.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 1:28 am

Vigilans wrote:
The most obvious and frequent lie is "the government is coming to take your guns". That one makes its way around the media echo chamber pretty regularly and 90% of the misinformation I'm speaking of is in regards to this premise. It obviously works considering how well they sucker you guys in every time.

The only reason that it's only "proposed" is that the people backing these things can't get the votes, as you'd plainly see in the link I gave you. Dianne Feinstein (former concealed carrier, present hypocrite) openly said ”If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them – ‘Mr. and Mrs. America, turn ‘em all in!’ – I would have done it. I could not do that.”. Barrack Obama supported state legislation to ban the manufacture, sale and possession of handguns while a state senator, called DC and Chicago's handgun bans "model legislation" for the rest of the country, and has recently pointed to England and Australia as examples of where we should be going. Shall I go on?

Vigilans wrote:
Another one is that a government registry of firearm owners is scary police state stuff, this latter point often put forward by NRA backers never-mind that the NRA has a big secret database of their own

SJC addressed the NRA's marketing database, but riddle me this: What have government firearms registries historically been used for? Hint: It doesn't involve solving crime.

Vigilans wrote:
Yes, I know you think your knowledge of guns is the end of the discussion and anybody who disagrees with you is arrogant and doesn't in any way know what they're talking about.

You're a mind reader now? Also, I'm a firm believer in backing up accusations with evidence, so please post an example of me claiming that someone who does know what they're talking about doesn't, simply because they disagree with me, or retract your statement. I happen to hold an esoteric credential in a highly misunderstood subject, it's not arrogant to insist that people understand what they're talking about if they wish to be taken seriously, maybe you feel otherwise.

Vigilans wrote:
Please don't attempt to apply a position to me that I in no way endorsed

Try to write more clearly. Also, kindly refrain from speaking about my internal thought process and assigning opinions to we which I don't hold.

- Rick Sanchez

sliqua-jcooter
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 1:49 am

Vigilans wrote:
redriverronin wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
redriverronin wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
redriverronin wrote:
I know you wish I was ret*d I would be pulled in by you misinformation and BS but sorry iam just a bad writer is all. It occurs to me every single day just how important Machiavellis thoughts on people and how to deal with them are when iam online though I don't feel the need to be that fake. :P

You are so smart

Thanks for noticing you 2 :)

If I hold my windpipe closed until I black out several times from oxygen deprivation, would that maybe help me to be more like you

No you would first need air duster then you would need to eat lost of tooth paste then oxygen deprivation hope that helps.

I'm starting to like this guy

Yeah - this is starting to get ridiculous. I have no interest in participating in a cat fight.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 11:27 am

Dox47 wrote:
The only reason that it's only "proposed" is that the people backing these things can't get the votes, as you'd plainly see in the link I gave you. Dianne Feinstein (former concealed carrier, present hypocrite) openly said ”If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them – ‘Mr. and Mrs. America, turn ‘em all in!’ – I would have done it. I could not do that.”. Barrack Obama supported state legislation to ban the manufacture, sale and possession of handguns while a state senator, called DC and Chicago's handgun bans "model legislation" for the rest of the country, and has recently pointed to England and Australia as examples of where we should be going. Shall I go on?

He's also a Muslim socialist from Kenya, too. Don't worry though, nobody is going to come and take your toys. In fact, Australia should look to America for what to do about guns, because no other country has it as well figured out

Dox47 wrote:
SJC addressed the NRA's marketing database, but riddle me this: What have government firearms registries historically been used for? Hint: It doesn't involve solving crime.

Obviously its the first step towards getting you all in concentration camps because your love of freedom is such a threat to the Illuminati

Dox47 wrote:
You're a mind reader now? Also, I'm a firm believer in backing up accusations with evidence, so please post an example of me claiming that someone who does know what they're talking about doesn't, simply because they disagree with me, or retract your statement.

You never say things directly, you choose to make passive aggressive swipes at people rather than have to answer for your comments. It doesn't take psychic abilities to pick up on. This is twice in as many days you've engaged in this exact behaviour towards me.

Dox47 wrote:
I happen to hold an esoteric credential in a highly misunderstood subject, it's not arrogant to insist that people understand what they're talking about if they wish to be taken seriously, maybe you feel otherwise.

Which credential is that? Aren't you a delivery driver?

Dox47 wrote:
Try to write more clearly.

You're joking, right? I never once said anything about politicians. You said that. You. I very, very clearly stated manufacturers. There was nothing ambiguous about it. Follow your own advice as you wrote in the quote below, please

Dox47 wrote:
Also, kindly refrain from speaking about my internal thought process and assigning opinions to we which I don't hold.

Be less predictable and stop hiding behind indirect insults

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

02 Oct 2013, 12:35 pm

This thread will be locked if the snide insults and personal attacks don't stop immediately.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 5:14 pm

Vigilans wrote:
He's also a Muslim socialist from Kenya, too. Don't worry though, nobody is going to come and take your toys. In fact, Australia should look to America for what to do about guns, because no other country has it as well figured out

Good argument, very convincing.

Vigilans wrote:
Obviously its the first step towards getting you all in concentration camps because your love of freedom is such a threat to the Illuminati

Another winner from the Vig man! Are you sure you're not a professional at this?

Vigilans wrote:
You never say things directly, you choose to make passive aggressive swipes at people rather than have to answer for your comments. It doesn't take psychic abilities to pick up on. This is twice in as many days you've engaged in this exact behaviour towards me.

Oh? You mean that time I mentioned your name the same sentence as trolling, after you posted about how annoying you think gun people are in a thread I had originated? That was silly of me, I should have just linked some of your posts and skipped the insinuations, you make a much better case for yourself than I do.

I also don't see any examples of me calling someone ignorant because they're disagreeing with me rather than because they're ignorant; when can I expect that?

Vigilans wrote:
Which credential is that? Aren't you a delivery driver?

So you remember that I used to be a delivery driver, which I haven't been in a while so haven't mentioned in years, and yet you somehow "forgot" that I have an AS degree in gunsmithing from one of only two schools that offer it in the US, which I mention often. That's quite a tricky memory you go there, you ought to have that checked out.

Vigilans wrote:
You're joking, right? I never once said anything about politicians. You said that. You. I very, very clearly stated manufacturers. There was nothing ambiguous about it.

This was your original statement:
Vigilans wrote:
People spend a lot more money on firearms, ammunition and related accessories when they fear they're about to lose the right to collect them. Its economic manipulation at its core in my opinion. The idea that there will be extreme limits on gun rights in the near future is very profitable to manufacturers

I asked you if you were implying that the leading proponents of gun control were really just trying to manipulate the market, which is hardly an unfair question given the statement.

As to "hiding behind indirect insults", would you rather I just call you an idiot and a moron, like you regularly do to people you argue with?

- Rick Sanchez

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

02 Oct 2013, 5:17 pm

Wish granted.