Page 2 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Is it racist to accuse someone of racism? I'm thinking specifically of a situation where someone is presumed to be racist because of their presumed race.
Poll ended at 11 Apr 2014, 1:46 pm
Yes 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
No 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
Mu ("yes and no and not yes and not no") 38%  38%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 13

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 3:08 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
Oh, nobody in particular I was just making an example. How about some hypothetical race that dominates the media and promotes discriminatory racial stereotypes against everybody who isn't white?

Not all white people are racist, but there is certainly such thing as white privilege, in which whites will have first, best pick of jobs and housing, and will usually not draw suspicion from the police. And we whites tend to take this white privilege for granted to the point of some foolishly denying that it exists.

I have never heard the term "White privilege" spoken in my life, so I don't think white people deny it exists. They don't even know anything about it.

What is interesting is that Hispanic White people are a minority (only 26 million in U.S. on last census), and get racial preference, but European white people are the "oppressor", and don't get racial preference. Two kinds of white people that look nearly the same, and one is the oppressor and one is the disadvantaged minority.

And then what about Asians? No one wants to count them as a minority ? What the heck ?

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 5:29 am

Vexcalibur wrote:
Racism is not hurting someone's feelings.

If you think white people are racist, that's not racism, that's racial prejudice.

Racism = Racial prejudice + Racial discrimination + structures built to oppress people in a given race.

By that definition, racism exists against white people in Zimbabwe, even if it's partly in response to the colonialism of the past. Don't ever say that such institutional racism against caucasians doesn't exist anywhere in the world, because it's blatantly false. Anyone can be a victim of racism.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 6:02 am

I can only talk from personal accounts, as I am not an academic.
I had an enemy who I kept close for 15 years. My enemy would take great delight in accusing me of being the things that he, in fact was.

He accused me of being a racist.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 7:55 am

Quote:
Is it racist to accuse someone of racism? I'm thinking specifically of a situation where someone is presumed to be racist because of their presumed race.

to question whether a race is racist is an example of cyclic redundancy

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 9:25 am

Jono wrote:
By that definition, racism exists against white people in Zimbabwe, even if it's partly in response to the colonialism of the past. Don't ever say that such institutional racism against caucasians doesn't exist anywhere in the world, because it's blatantly false. Anyone can be a victim of racism.

lolololol

Irrelevant. If you are white in the US or Europe, you will never be a victim of racism. And context tells me thread wasn't talking about Zimbabwe.

I guess though if you like feeling like a victim so much, you can move to Zimbabwe.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 9:31 am

jrjones9933 wrote:
I'm thinking specifically of a situation where someone is presumed to be racist because of their presumed race.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCdJMNTcWGs[/youtube]

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 9:41 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
Oh, nobody in particular I was just making an example.

And we whites tend to take this white privilege for granted to the point of some foolishly denying that it exists.

I have never heard the term "White privilege" spoken in my life, so I don't think white people deny it exists. They don't even know anything about it.

Removing all the extraneous material, I think that this thread of the conversation says something particularly profound, especially the parts not written by me.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 9:42 am

No, but you better be making sure there is no beam in your eye before you point to the speck in the other person's eye.

EVERYONE, without exception, IS A RACIST. It's a normal and natural state of mind. A hard-wired response designed to protect us from strangers/strange things.

It's when you let it make you hate and distrust people who are different for no valid reason that it becomes a problem.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 9:58 am

zer0netgain wrote:
No, but you better be making sure there is no beam in your eye before you point to the speck in the other person's eye.

EVERYONE, without exception, IS A RACIST. It's a normal and natural state of mind. A hard-wired response designed to protect us from strangers/strange things.

It's when you let it make you hate and distrust people who are different for no valid reason that it becomes a problem.

I'd reckon that to your average, white American, seeing a black person or a muslim is not "strange" enough to provoke any racist thoughts by default.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 12:52 pm

It's not uncommon for a racist to call someone else a racist just to draw the heat off of themselves.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 1:35 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
Oh, nobody in particular I was just making an example. How about some hypothetical race that dominates the media and promotes discriminatory racial stereotypes against everybody who isn't white?

Not all white people are racist, but there is certainly such thing as white privilege, in which whites will have first, best pick of jobs and housing, and will usually not draw suspicion from the police. And we whites tend to take this white privilege for granted to the point of some foolishly denying that it exists.

What is interesting is that Hispanic White people are a minority (only 26 million in U.S. on last census), and get racial preference, but European white people are the "oppressor", and don't get racial preference. Two kinds of white people that look nearly the same, and one is the oppressor and one is the disadvantaged minority.

And then what about Asians? No one wants to count them as a minority ? What the heck ?

I think when whites lose majority status, Hispanics may very well be included as white to boost numbers. It has to be remembered, at one time south Italians, and even the Irish, weren't regarded as white, but were eventually co opted.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 1:46 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

I think when whites lose majority status, Hispanics may very well be included as white to boost numbers. It has to be remembered, at one time south Italians, and even the Irish, weren't regarded as white, but were eventually co opted.

They self-identify as white per the census which requires a person to identify themselves into a racial category.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Hisp ... _Americans

Quoted: "As of 2010, 50.5 million or 16.3% of Americans identified as Hispanic or Latino.[15] Of those, 26.7 million, or 53%, also identified as White".

So, we have the very funny situation (and take a look at the pictures of these disadvantage minorities in the link) that one white is a disadvantaged minority and one white is the oppressor. They look the same too. 8O

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 2:35 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

This is exactly what is currently happening. Don't forget that in one point in the past, French, Germans, and Eastern Europeans were also considered non-white. White, hispanic did not exist as a separate category until just recently. There have already been some discussion (although short lived) about having a category on future census surveys to include a white, asian category. With the white majority rapidly dwindling, the good ol' white boys club is getting very nervous about their tenuous grip on power.

IMO, there are very few white people left who are racist enough to let it affect their behavior toward others, but many of those who are are in a position to have a large negative impact.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 3:32 pm

sonofghandi wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

This is exactly what is currently happening. Don't forget that in one point in the past, French, Germans, and Eastern Europeans were also considered non-white. White, hispanic did not exist as a separate category until just recently. There have already been some discussion (although short lived) about having a category on future census surveys to include a white, asian category. With the white majority rapidly dwindling, the good ol' white boys club is getting very nervous about their tenuous grip on power.

IMO, there are very few white people left who are racist enough to let it affect their behavior toward others, but many of those who are in a position to have a large negative impact.

The "white majority" is "rapidly dwindling ?? The U.S. census predicts the percent of people who self-identify as white people will increase 4% by 2050. Mostly due to the inflow of white Hispanics.

I think it is 72% of the U.S. is now are counted as white according to the U.S. census, and will go to 76% of the U.S. is projected to be white by 2050. Of course, if they change racial categories ...

Last edited by LoveNotHate on 09 Jan 2014, 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 3:37 pm

I forget that situation for non-whites in the USA is so different to the UK. In Europe there is probably even worse racism, specially France and Easter European countries who still have less than 1% non white population I think.(could be wrong though)

The problem is that the slavery used to be so common place in human societies (and slaves were usually the others - ie. other races, other tribes etc.) and it's only relatively recently in the human history that we have legally abolished this practice which was built on millennia of seeing humans from different background to us as non equal in whatever way. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_slavery

Because the most recent conquerors were white men (Romans, British Empire, the French, Spaniards, Dutch etc.), we have the 'white privilege' reflecting this in today's societies.

Peoples have moved about the Earth quite a bit, and in each era someone else is King. Syria used to be a major player once upon a long time ago, and let us not forget that ancient Asians were the first to settle on the American continent http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous ... e_Americas

Not to mention that Africa is still considered the birth place of the whole human race, (although I am personally partial to the Tall Thin Alian Invasion theory)

Fashions come and go. White privilege is about to be obliterated by the Chinese privilege. Don't say you haven't been warned :lol:

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2014, 5:24 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
sonofghandi wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

IMO, there are very few white people left who are racist enough to let it affect their behavior toward others, but many of those who are in a position to have a large negative impact.

The "white majority" is "rapidly dwindling ?? The U.S. census predicts the percent of people who self-identify as white people will increase 4% by 2050. Mostly due to the inflow of white Hispanics.

I think it is 72% of the U.S. is now are counted as white according to the U.S. census, and will go to 76% of the U.S. is projected to be white by 2050. Of course, if they change racial categories ...

Perhaps I did not make myself clear. The reason that white-Hispanic is now an official terminology is because without it, there would be less and less "white" people.