Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2021, 9:45 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
ExcelsiorMom wrote:
I have thought about this a bit with the gifted and talented program getting gutted and removed by De Blasio.  De Blasio is essentially taking the fastest ox and tying it to a wagon being pulled by oxen.  That wagon will have to go at the pace of the slowest ox.  I am glad he will not be NYC's mayor any longer soon, though the new contenders leaves much to be desired.
That really isn't how it plays out, if teachers know how to do a mixed level classroom right...
This is exactly how it plays out when school administrators dictate not only what to teach, but how to teach.

Not every school system is blessed with enlightened parents, teachers, administrators, and school-board members.  Most seem to be cursed with a regimented and conformist mind-set that does not allow for deviation from established protocols wherein every student of the same age will be advanced to the next grade regardless of individual performance -- the "Assembly Line" and "Diploma Mill" protocols (although this seems to be mostly a "Red State" phenomenon).

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2021, 11:29 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
I remember this short story I read years ago about a dystopian society that made everyone equal in every way. How did it work? They made beautiful people wear props and makeup that made them look ugly. They made people with talent forced at gunpoint to do terribly. The intelligent got it way worse. They were given some dampening implant that would send a shock every thirty seconds to make sure their train of thought was constantly disrupted.

Kurt Vonnegut?

I've read that story, too. Depressing as heck, but most of his stories are.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 8:55 am

that1weirdgrrrl wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:
I remember this short story I read years ago about a dystopian society that made everyone equal in every way. How did it work? They made beautiful people wear props and makeup that made them look ugly. They made people with talent forced at gunpoint to do terribly. The intelligent got it way worse. They were given some dampening implant that would send a shock every thirty seconds to make sure their train of thought was constantly disrupted.
Kurt Vonnegut?  I've read that story, too. Depressing as heck, but most of his stories are.
"'Harrison Bergeron' is a dystopian science-fiction short story by American writer Kurt Vonnegut, first published in October 1961.  Originally published in The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, the story was republished in the author's Welcome to the Monkey House collection in 1968. ...

In the year 2081, the 211th, 212th, and 213th amendments to the Constitution dictate that all Americans are fully equal and not allowed to be smarter, better-looking, or more physically able than anyone else.  The Handicapper General's (Diana Moon Glompers) agents enforce the equality laws, forcing citizens to wear "handicaps": masks for those who are too beautiful, loud radios that disrupt thoughts inside the ears of intelligent people, heavy weights for the strong or athletic, et cetera."

Source:
 This Wikipedia Article 

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 10:13 am

It's Not Just a Story Now
Of Some Far-Off 'Dystopia';

It's The Oldest Story, in Fact,

And Arts Not Yet Seen Of Course;

Ain't Naming Any Names;
Yet i Still Have the Fully
Documented Record

Where a Moderator

Tried to Force me into

Writing no More Than 6 Lines,

To Limit my Human Potential on this

Website too...

Yet of Course,

Although, They Couldn't

Understand me, Folks Outside

of this Place, Had No Problem at all;
So i Felt my Effort Was Worthwhile Not Giving Up...

i'm

Still Standing;

And this is the Way

it Was All the Way Through

School and Work; Folks Don't Like

it When Other Folks Come Out of the Group Think....

And It Doesn't Matter, Where You Go, Group Think

Still Tries

to Take

Control over

Mavericks That And Who
Escape the Common herd of heard...

"Equity and Gifted And Talented Students" for What?

For What? For What? Becoming A Stellar Part of A Well Oiled Machine?

i

Do Not...

The Top of the Pile of Billionaires

on the Planet Earth Quit School And

Started From Their Garages and Such

in Autodidect Ways of Human Potential;

What Set Them Apart is they Forged Their Own Paths...

However, Where

They Failed

is Falling

to the Notion

That Success is 'Out There'
Somewhere Far From Within, The Riches

i Master now...

Colors

So Lost From

Typical Color Blind Group Think today...

And Of Course Yesterday And Tomorrow...

So Goes the Nature of the Human Social Animal: Group Think...

Of
Course
i'm Autistic
With Bi-Polar Non-Specified...

i Am Not Normal; Explains A Lot indeed...

Yet Only in Terms of Labels Over Essence of Course...

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick