Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2023, 9:00 am

I seem to think that since the pandemic started we have got into mindset of doom-mongering about things even about things won't really always end up killing people. I mean when the pandemic started, here in the UK, people were saying we would have more than 500,000 deaths within a few months and comparing it to Spanish Flu or the Black Death when it actually never reached that number. When the war in Ukraine started people are nearly always talking about the possibility of nuclear war and then cost of living where people feared life in the UK would be like what it was like back the 1970s with blackouts and mass numbers of people going homeless. There was probably a lot of doom-mongering before the pandemic but not as much as now, but maybe I am wrong and that I am just more overly aware about today's issues facing the world and that sometimes the newspapers and the media just makes things seem much worse than they actually are.

Last edited by chris1989 on 05 Sep 2023, 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

WilliamK1997
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Sep 2023, 9:35 am

3 million people allegedly died in the russia/ukraine war i heard from a family friend, thats nearly as bad as the holocaust. well deserved doom mongering

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2023, 10:01 am

WilliamK1997 wrote:
3 million people allegedly died in the russia/ukraine war i heard from a family friend, thats nearly as bad as the holocaust. well deserved doom mongering

The figure (death toll) is commonly believed to be about 500,000 (half a million dead) on both sides, added together, both Russians & Ukrainians.

3 million is inaccurate.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ukraine-war-estimated-casualties-1.6940723

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2023, 11:36 am

^
Not even.
500k "causalities"( wounded and dead). Not deaths.

The article goes on to say Russia has had 120,000 military deaths and 180,0000 wounded. Ukraine with 70 thousand and 120 thousand respectively. Though there have also been civilian deaths by the thousands in Ukraine.

So its about a quarter million actual deaths. But the number of refugees who have fled Ukraine is in the millions.

But that still a lot of deaths. And one nation has nukes, and the other has nuclear powerplants that become part of battlefields. Its not a situation to sneeze at.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2023, 11:51 am

naturalplastic wrote:
^
Not even.
500k "causalities"( wounded and dead). Not deaths.

The article goes on to say Russia has had 120,000 military deaths and 180,0000 wounded. Ukraine with 70 thousand and 120 thousand respectively. Though there have also been civilian deaths by the thousands in Ukraine.

So its about a quarter million actual deaths. But the number of refugees who have fled Ukraine is in the millions.

But that still a lot of deaths. And one nation has nukes, and the other has nuclear powerplants that become part of battlefields. Its not a situation to sneeze at.

Ah yeah, I conflated deaths with deaths + casualties there.

Well, even quarter of a million is significant. :o

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2023, 12:13 am

To answer the question...

No.

Long story short...

We live in "interesting times".

No need to for "mongering" to make them more interesting than they are.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2023, 3:30 am

Because Doom runs on everything! I heard someone even got Doom to run on an ATM.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2023, 5:00 pm

Doom-mongering has been around probably forever. In the 70s we were supposed to have the next Ice Age. In the 80s we were all going to be nuked or die of AIDS. In the 90s we were all going to be fried by the holes in the ozone layer and the computers were all going to crash because of Y2K.

But it looks like the doomers are right this time, because none of that can compare to the sheer horrors of what's happening now. Anyway, I read the other day that inhaling helium is a quick and painless way to end oneself. It might not be very dignified having my last words sound like one of the Chipmunks, but it's better than radiation poisoning or long covid. :skull:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2023, 5:15 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Doom-mongering has been around probably forever. In the 70s we were supposed to have the next Ice Age. In the 80s we were all going to be nuked or die of AIDS. In the 90s we were all going to be fried by the holes in the ozone layer and the computers were all going to crash because of Y2K.

But it looks like the doomers are right this time, because none of that can compare to the sheer horrors of what's happening now. Anyway, I read the other day that inhaling helium is a quick and painless way to end oneself. It might not be very dignified having my last words sound like one of the Chipmunks, but it's better than radiation poisoning or long covid. :skull:

You don't need to waste helium, nitrogen works just as well for that purpose and without making your final words sound like Alvin.

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2023, 5:28 pm

I think I read that things in Russia and Ukraine/USA just escalated even worse recently. That said, I don't really support either side.

I think this is pretty relevant to the thread subject:

by Di Minardi (BBC):
The grim fate that could be ‘worse than extinction'
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20201014-totalitarian-world-in-chains-artificial-intelligence

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2023, 7:03 pm

chris1989 wrote:
I mean when the pandemic started, here in the UK, people were saying we would have more than 500,000 deaths within a few months and comparing it to Spanish Flu or the Black Death when it actually never reached that number.

We had over one million deaths here in the US, tens of millions (at least) are now permanently disabled, organs are slowly dying, and we have no idea what future consequences infection may bring (look up what happens to Chicken Pox, EBV, and HIV years after infection).

I'd say the fear was quite warranted.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2023, 7:10 pm

its the media.....just like all other Corporations...They need to turn a profit ! !! Doom snd Anxiety are the Lead stories in the world to get the best ratings, ( most Attention). :evil:
But Worse , its the Bigger manufactured worldwide scares that control the public the best. Not ongoing George Flloyd events or Rodney King events. Or the state. of how high the corrupt administration,that created the events that created the
atitudes of the officers involved in those events. Nope .. Nothing that could actually help the public to believe that
people in charge are not out to mess them over, Or how the old Anti Trust laws ,need to come back to stop the Corporations from controlling our government through croneyism and bribery.
So things could improve in our society . :roll:

where ever you go ,there you are

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2023, 7:19 pm

I saw a lot of people doom mongering about the COVID vaccine. I found it ironic how the "we won't live in fear" people were terrified of the vaccine.

COVID may not have killed 500,000 people in the UK but I bet it killed more than the vaccine did.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2023, 7:33 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Doom-mongering has been around probably forever. In the 70s we were supposed to have the next Ice Age.
Note that only a minority of scientists thought this was going to be a problem. This fact has been opportunistaclly picked up on and exagerated by modern day global warming deniers.
lostonearth35 wrote:
In the 80s we were all going to be nuked or die of AIDS.
I find it ironic that the same people who were scared to be in the same room as someone with AIDS (a non-airborne disease) were the ones who didn't want to wear a mask during COVID (which is an airborne disease).
lostonearth35 wrote:
In the 90s we were all going to be fried by the holes in the ozone layer and the computers were all going to crash because of Y2K.
Maybe we weren't fried because we actually did something about it. Remember the ban on CFCs?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2023, 8:58 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
I saw a lot of people doom mongering about the COVID vaccine. I found it ironic how the "we won't live in fear" people were terrified of the vaccine.

COVID may not have killed 500,000 people in the UK but I bet it killed more than the vaccine did.

lol, exactly.

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Maybe we weren't fried because we actually did something about it. Remember the ban on CFCs?

Ditto to Y2K, they put in a LOT LOT LOT of work to make sure that it didn't happen.

Also, might mention that we used to have this pandemic prevention playbook...thick book on how to stop viral outbreaks from taking over the US.

Remember when we had that huge ebola outbreak? And that huge, huge, huge SARS outbreak?

No?

There's a reason for that.

Trump threw that book in the trash because it had Obama's name on it, and then Covid happened...

Might it have saved us from catastrophe? Or only delayed the inevitable?
Who can say?

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2023, 1:17 am

chris1989 wrote:
I seem to think that since the pandemic started we have got into mindset of doom-mongering about things even about things won't really always end up killing people. I mean when the pandemic started, here in the UK, people were saying we would have more than 500,000 deaths within a few months and comparing it to Spanish Flu or the Black Death when it actually never reached that number. When the war in Ukraine started people are nearly always talking about the possibility of nuclear war and then cost of living where people feared life in the UK would be like what it was like back the 1970s with blackouts and mass numbers of people going homeless. There was probably a lot of doom-mongering before the pandemic but not as much as now, but maybe I am wrong and that I am just more overly aware about today's issues facing the world and that sometimes the newspapers and the media just makes things seem much worse than they actually are.

I think too many people doom-monger about hyperinflation. I know inflation is bad but so many people I know take it to the next level and think the dollar could go to zero any year now. I am talking about the people who fear monger about the stock market and put most of their money in physical gold and silver. I think do this to sell gold and silver of course. A little exposure to physical precious metals could be good or wise but not putting all your money in it just because you think the financial world is going to end.