Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2024, 10:17 pm

I don’t understand patriotism. It seems like a largely negative thing since it promotes an us vs. them mentality and other types of silliness.

I’m not proud to be an American. I had no choice in the matter. :lol:

Quote:
Finland has done it again. The 2024 World Happiness Report is out, and for the seventh year in a row, Finland has been named the happiest country in the world.

But the news isn’t as good for the United States—which has hit a new low. The U.S. didn’t even make the top 20 list—the first time it has ranked so poorly since the World Happiness Report was created in 2012.

Last year, the United States came in at number 15. For 2024, the U.S. plummeted to number 23. Even countries like Costa Rica and Lithuania—new entrants to the top 20 list—ranked higher.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabegle ... 9314831b55

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2024, 11:17 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
I don’t understand patriotism.
Maybe this will help.  I started this back in 2017, about a year after Trump was sworn in.

A Comparison of Patriotism vs. Nationalism:

Patriotism: "My country can always do better."
Nationalism: "My country is already the best."

Patriotism: "My country, right or wrong!"
Nationalism: "My country; love it or leave it!"

Patriotism: A sense of personal identification with the country and all its people.
Nationalism: A sense of personal identification with the government and all its ruling class.

Patriotism: Rooted in love of country and culture.
Nationalism: Rooted in conquest of other countries and suppression of their cultures.

Patriotism: Uniting citizen for the well-being of the country.
Nationalism: Uniting citizens against the well-being of other countries.

Patriotism: Unity through shared values.
Nationalism: Unity through shared ancestry.

Patriotism: Praying that the country will bless God.
Nationalism: Praying that God will bless the country.

Patriotism: Critical of the country whenever necessary.
Nationalism: Silencing the country's critics whenever possible.

Patriotism: "Diversity is the foundation of our existence, and must be encouraged."
Nationalism: "Diversity is the bane of our existence, and must be eliminated."

Patriotism: Due process under the law.
Nationalism: Arrest, accuse, convict, sentence, execute/incarcerate -- evidence is irrelevant.

Patriotism: Equality, Liberty, and Justice for All.
Nationalism: Equality, Liberty, and Justice for the Privileged Few.

Patriotism: Fighting Nazis.
Nationalism: Being Nazis.

Patriotism: Freedom of Press, Speech, and Peaceful Assembly.
Nationalism: Propaganda, Censorship, and Harassment.

Patriotism: Government by consent of the governed.
Nationalism: Government by force and decree of those who govern.

Patriotism: Hiring and promotion based solely on ability.
Nationalism: Hiring and promotion based on race and gender.

Patriotism: Learning from our history and the history of others.
Nationalism: Teaching our version of history to others.

Patriotism: Pride in who you are.
Nationalism: Pride in who you are not.

Patriotism: Special concern for the well-being of the citizenry.
Nationalism: Special concern for the well-being of the leadership.

Patriotism: Upholding the right of others to disagree with authority.
Nationalism: Equating disagreement with treachery, disloyalty, and moral decay.

Patriotism: War should only be undertaken when diplomacy has failed.
Nationalism: Diplomacy flows from the barrel of a gun.

Patriotism: Willingness to sacrifice oneself to promote the country's good.
Nationalism: Willingness to sacrifice others to promote one's own self-interest.

America's problems aren't as much about Left vs. Right as they are about Patriotism vs. Nationalism.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2024, 11:23 pm

Fnord wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:
Maybe this will help.

TP: I fail to understand why people feel patriotism, it makes no sense.
F: Here's how I personally define patriotism from nationalism.

You're responding but failing to understand what a valid response needs to address.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2024, 11:26 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:
Maybe this will help.
TP: I fail to understand why people feel patriotism, it makes no sense.  F: Here's how I personally define patriotism from nationalism.  You're responding but failing to understand what a valid response needs to address.
And you are criticizing me for having answers -- at least I try to provide those answers instead of knee-jerk critiques.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2024, 11:40 pm

Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:
Maybe this will help.
TP: I fail to understand why people feel patriotism, it makes no sense.  F: Here's how I personally define patriotism from nationalism.  You're responding but failing to understand what a valid response needs to address.
And you are criticizing me for having answers -- at least I try to provide those answers instead of knee-jerk critiques.

No, I'm clearly criticizing you for not having answers, posting a barely related copy-pasta you had lying around and assuming everyone was too dumb to notice or too chickenshit to call you out on it out of fear of being insulted.

No one will think less of you if you stopped for a moment and actually considered what the post you're replying to means before barfing up a copypasta essay.

It might actually be genuinely aggrandizing instead of blatantly self-aggrandizing. Instead of regularly telling us what a profound thinker you are you could try just demonstrating it in a practical way by understanding what you are responding to and thoroughly demonstrating that understanding in your reply, instead of just slapping together something snarky and hitting submit.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2024, 12:12 am

While I probably wouldn’t define things as you do Fnord, I wouldn’t even feel good about endorsing many of your views of patriotism. I have trouble understanding why others would do so unless tribalism and indoctrination were at work on some level. Both nationalism and patriotism encourage an us vs. them mentality rather than a worldview, and they both discourage critical thinking which is why people are so prone to believing in and adhering to political propaganda as well as parroting loaded language.

Fnord wrote:
Patriotism: A sense of personal identification with the country and all its people.
Nationalism: A sense of personal identification with the government and all its ruling class.
I think it’s better to identify with all humans whether they are American, French, Mexican, Palestinian, etc.

Quote:
Patriotism: Rooted in love of country and culture.
Nationalism: Rooted in conquest of other countries and suppression of their cultures.
I believe in appreciating all countries and cultures. We might appreciate some countries more than others on an individual level, but there’s no reason why we should love America more than anywhere else.

Quote:
Patriotism: Unity through shared values.
Nationalism: Unity through shared ancestry.
Many people in the world have similar values, not that diversity shouldn’t be celebrated.

Quote:
Patriotism: Praying that the country will bless God.
Nationalism: Praying that God will bless the country.
Americans don’t all worship the same god or any god.

Quote:
Patriotism: Fighting Nazis
Nationalism: Being Nazis.
I’m pretty sure Nazis can be patriotic.

Quote:
Patriotism: Special concern for the well-being of the citizenry.
Nationalism: Special concern for the well-being of the leadership.
I feel the same degree of concern for all humans, and I think the world would be a better place if more people felt that way.

Quote:
Patriotism: Willingness to sacrifice oneself to promote the country's good.
Nationalism: Willingness to sacrifice others to promote one's own self-interest.
I wouldn’t sacrifice myself more for America than anywhere else and would find the idea of that a bit distasteful although we all have different moral values.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2024, 12:23 am

Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:
Maybe this will help.

I wasn’t really asking a question. I was getting something off my chest. You only quoted the first sentence that I wrote. Maybe you would’ve had a better idea what I was getting at if you had read my entire post.

I know what patriotism is. I don’t understand why people endorse it although it seems to be less popular with younger people.

Instead of describing the differences between patriotism and nationalism in your opinion, a response might’ve fit with my post more if it had stated why you think people are patriotic.

In my opinion, patriotism is mostly negative and causes a lot of problems - America/self-centeredness being one of them, but not everyone will have the same viewpoint as I do.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2024, 1:06 am

Patriotism - I agree 100% with everything TP has said about loving and valuing all humans regardless of where they were born, or which artificial boundary has been designated by governments. I was always very proud of the country I was raised in, however. I admired the rights and freedoms I was given as a citizen, and I was always very happy to sing or hear our anthem -- not to the detriment of other countries but to be thankful for my own. That feeling has changed a little over time. It's not that I'm not proud now, but I've learned more about the corruption of my current (and past) leaders. I won't follow anyone blindly, and I'll always promote international human rights above any other distinction.

I should add that I never had to "pledge allegiance" to my country. That would freak me out and change everything.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2024, 1:11 am

I’ve never been proud to be an American. I don’t really understand that either because it’s not like I contributed to my country to any meaningful extent. I just happened to be born here. However, I’m glad that I live in the US and not in a lot of other places with extreme governments and/or extreme conditions of any other sort. North Korea probably wouldn’t be pleasant.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 18 May 2024, 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2024, 1:30 am

In the circles I've moved in, the British aren't strongly patriotic by any means, though I've seen a bit of it on TV, mostly from football fans and a right-wing demograph I dislike and don't mix with in real life. I could hardly believe the American thing. Kids forced to recite a pledge of allegiance in schools, stars and stripes in every second back yard, God Bless America, my country this, my country that, Independence Day, Thanksgiving, trembling upper lips at military rituals, president hugging a magic cloth (flag), support for the troops is a given, and "un-American" is somehow accepted as a pejorative. These matters don't come up much so I don't have much on my chest to get off. If they want to play their funny games, let them. People do a lot of funny games. If they want me to be part of it, I'd usually tell them I've got the flu or something. Don't like lying, but the alternative is probably worse. I can't talk them out of it because it's not rational and I'd probably fall into the trap of attempting logical argument, which can't work against cherished beliefs, it just annoys them.

Why do they do it? I guess some of it is that they have a sense of belonging to their nation that I've never experienced. I stand outside of national society, perhaps because I'm an Aspie. I see America as too big and variegated to love as a single entity. But for them, it doesn't have to be logical, it's an emotional thing, though they might pretend it's logical if it's attacked. Probably a little like religion where upbringing and reinforcement makes quite a difference especially to NTs. I feel a bit of warmth for England but that's just about missing the bits of it I'm familiar with when I'm not there for months on end. It's not a giant pride thing, it's just my home, even if a lot of it is a cesspit. Some of it is the refreshing lack of a language barrier. Americans and I still find each other's language hard to understand at times. As for leaders, I've yet to admire one enough to have much respect for them.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2024, 2:35 am

TwilightPrincess wrote:
While I probably wouldn’t define things as you do Fnord, I wouldn’t even feel good about endorsing many of your views of patriotism.
That's okay by me -- you're not impugning my intelligence, ancestry, hygiene, or sexual habits.

Simple disagreement is cool.