Louisiana putting 10 Commandments in School Classrooms

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jason Thayer
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 May 2024, 6:13 pm

My state is putting the Ten Commandments in the school classrooms. I'm a Christian, but even I think this is stupid.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2024, 6:37 pm

There are a lot of beliefs that are not christian; religious freedom does not entitle someone to force you to think the same as them.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2024, 6:38 pm

As long as Satanists get equal representation I'm not too worried. :nerdy:

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2024, 6:49 pm

I guess they still think they can and should give kids moral instruction. Wouldn't have worked on me.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2024, 8:26 pm

Are they going to make it mandatory for the kids to recite the Pledge of Allegiance AND the Ten Commandments?

Theocracy marches on . . .

:roll:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2024, 8:35 pm

What do you mean "putting them" in classrooms?

Does that mean just hanging them on the wall along with information about other religions?

Is it a leaflet on a table for those interested?

Does it mean they're being taught or memorized or recited?

Where I am, all cultures, religions, and belief systems are recognized.

TheNet
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 May 2024, 5:51 am

Fnord wrote:
Are they going to make it mandatory for the kids to recite the Pledge of Allegiance AND the Ten Commandments?

Maybe they will also bring mandatory prayer to school and attach Bibles to the top of every desk.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2024, 6:38 am

"But how else will we keep the younguns from forneekatin?"

--Louisiana conservatives

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2024, 6:41 am

^

I have an idea!!

Throw girls in jail if they get preggers and can't keep it!! / s

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2024, 6:50 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
^

I have an idea!!

Throw girls in jail if they get preggers and can't keep it!! / s

They were going to do that anyway.

Harmonie
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 May 2024, 7:25 am

TheNet wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Maybe they will also bring mandatory prayer to school and attach Bibles to the top of every desk.

Mandatory prayer is what this has always been about, sadly. When the right says "they took prayers out of school", they don't mean that students and teachers aren't free to pray to themselves (heck, we even had a "moment of silence" just for that in my school, a public school district), they're talking about mandatory staff-led prayer having been taken out of school. That's what they want. :?

It's the same when they say the Bible has been taken out of school. Of course students can have and read Bibles (in appropriate times where it is for anyone to read non-class material), the right just wants school to become mandatory church services. :roll:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2024, 7:37 am

When I was in primary in the 70s we said the Lord's prayer every morning with the announcements. For me at least, it was rote and I didn't think much about it but the "daily bread" part made me hungry for French toast. I don't remember there being any context for the prayer and they certainly didn't push religion. In fact we learned a lot about other cultures and I even learned about Islam as a classroom topic when I was about seven.

Now of course there's no Lord's prayer. I don't even think there's a moment of silence. The weirdest thing I remember was the day after 9/11 I was dropping my kids at school and they played the American anthem about the bombs bursting in air. Teachers were crying. Again, no prayers or moments of silence that I recall.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2024, 9:07 am

Harmonie wrote:
TheNet wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Mandatory prayer is what this has always been about, sadly. When the right says "they took prayers out of school", they don't mean that students and teachers aren't free to pray to themselves (heck, we even had a "moment of silence" just for that in my school, a public school district), they're talking about mandatory staff-led prayer having been taken out of school. That's what they want. :?

It's the same when they say the Bible has been taken out of school. Of course students can have and read Bibles (in appropriate times where it is for anyone to read non-class material), the right just wants school to become mandatory church services. :roll:

And if you deny them that, they claim that Christians are being "persecuted".

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2024, 9:16 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
When I was in primary in the 70s we said the Lord's prayer every morning with the announcements. For me at least, it was rote and I didn't think much about it but the "daily bread" part made me hungry for French toast. I don't remember there being any context for the prayer and they certainly didn't push religion. In fact we learned a lot about other cultures and I even learned about Islam as a classroom topic when I was about seven.

Now of course there's no Lord's prayer. I don't even think there's a moment of silence. The weirdest thing I remember was the day after 9/11 I was dropping my kids at school and they played the American anthem about the bombs bursting in air. Teachers were crying. Again, no prayers or moments of silence that I recall.

When I was in elementary and junior high, we did the Pledge of Allegiance (and in Junior High, a pledge to the Texas state flag). By the time high school came along, in the mid to late 90s, we just had a moment of silence. On the anniversaries of Selena's murder and the OKC bombing, which occurred during my freshman year, we had an extended moment of remembrance for those lost.

Of course, our psychopathic governor has probably brought back both pledges.

Last edited by Tim_Tex on 22 May 2024, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2024, 9:21 am

I should have mentioned I'm not American. That's why it was so odd to hear the anthem.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2024, 9:43 am

It’s definitely concerning. Religion should be kept out of schools. There was a huge Ten Commandments plaque in the middle school in the town a grew up in. I never went there since I was homeschooled, but I could see it from outside the building where I waited for a friend sometimes. People in the town had a fit when the plaque was removed which is absurd. They act like it’s solely about good moral values when the first several commandments are just about that brand of religion/worshipping that God. If I were a reasonably intelligent and benevolent deity, my Ten Commandments would be a bit different - less about me and more about stuff that could actually help people, but I digress.