Page 3 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2024, 3:54 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
I wonder, do biblical literalists think Noah had breeding programs for all the life that's incompatible with being put on a boat for 40 days, or do they just handwave those creatures?

If their flood occurred, there's a lot of smaller life that would much more difficult to save than say velociraptors, and yet I'm supposed to believe Noah didn't save velociraptors but did save mayflies and cicadas.

Biblical literalism seems to require one to be both deeply ignorant and completely unwilling to engage in even the most basic critical thinking.
In my experience, they avoid thinking about the details and/or make vague references to God magic.

When I was a kid, I thought that it must’ve been something like this:

Agreed. Critical thinking and religious literalism go together like oil and water.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2024, 6:52 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Saying its "either Creation of evolution" is a false dichotomy. It could have been a combination of both. Or neither.

There's a dichotomy if Genesis is taken to be a literal, objective, inerrant narrative of the history of the Universe, the Earth, life on Earth, and its origins. The timescales given by the literal interpretation of scripture and modern, evidence-based science for the creation of the Earth and the arrival of humans and other life are massively and irreconcilably different. But if we don't insist on the literal inerrancy of scripture, there's not necessarily any dichotomy at all.

TheNet
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 May 2024, 7:11 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
I know people who actually believe that nonsense.

In the JW brochure Enjoy Life on Earth Forever:

It was published in 1982. To be completely fair, I don’t think they’d include the dinosaurs in recent publications, but many rank and file members still think that dinosaurs were killed in the Flood.

There are Christians who believe the ark and the flood were a metaphor rather than literal.

vividgroovy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 May 2024, 7:17 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
I wonder, do biblical literalists think Noah had breeding programs for all the life that's incompatible with being put on a boat for 40 days, or do they just handwave those creatures?

If their flood occurred, there's a lot of smaller life that would much more difficult to save than say velociraptors, and yet I'm supposed to believe Noah didn't save velociraptors but did save mayflies and cicadas.

Biblical literalism seems to require one to be both deeply ignorant and completely unwilling to engage in even the most basic critical thinking.
In my experience, they avoid thinking about the details and/or make vague references to God magic.

When I was a kid, I thought that it must’ve been something like this:

That GIF is a good illustration of the point, but as a Disney fan, I can't resist pointing out that ironically, in the movie "Sword in the Stone," Merlin represents reason and scientific discovery in contrast to the Medieval setting :lol:.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2024, 7:27 pm

^ Yeah, that’s true.

It’s a good movie. I really enjoyed the book series too - The Once and Future King.

TheNet wrote:
There are Christians who believe the ark and the flood were a metaphor rather than literal.

I think most reasonably well-educated Christians don’t believe in a worldwide flood, but I can’t find any recent statistics on it.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2024, 9:01 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Saying its "either Creation of evolution" is a false dichotomy. It could have been a combination of both. Or neither.

There's a dichotomy if Genesis is taken to be a literal, objective, inerrant narrative of the history of the Universe, the Earth, life on Earth, and its origins. The timescales given by the literal interpretation of scripture and modern, evidence-based science for the creation of the Earth and the arrival of humans and other life are massively and irreconcilably different. But if we don't insist on the literal inerrancy of scripture, there's not necessarily any dichotomy at all.

But even the religious dont have to take the Bible literally.

Some say 'evolution happened' but god helped it along (the rogue Catholic priest and paleontolgist De Chardin had a whole theory based on that in the 1930s-the Vatican ex communicated him, but restored his name fifty years later). And though evolution does a good job of explaining how life developed in the three billion years since it started its not real good at explaining the transition for non life to life. So some say "god made the first cell". I dont think that you need God even for that first cell on earth, but Im not gonna argue with folks about it. But I do argue with folks who take the Bible literally and think that the earth formed only 6000 years ago.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2024, 9:55 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

But even the religious dont have to take the Bible literally.

Indeed, the modern Church of England for example has been known to say that scripture isn't meant to be a science or history book, which neatly sidesteps a lot of embarrassment for them. Unfortunately the Deep South of the USA hasn't moved with the times, and that's where a lot of the totalitarian religious power moves are coming from.

Quote:
Some say 'evolution happened' but god helped it along (the rogue Catholic priest and paleontolgist De Chardin had a whole theory based on that in the 1930s-the Vatican ex communicated him, but restored his name fifty years later). And though evolution does a good job of explaining how life developed in the three billion years since it started its not real good at explaining the transition for non life to life. So some say "god made the first cell". I dont think that you need God even for that first cell on earth, but Im not gonna argue with folks about it. But I do argue with folks who take the Bible literally and think that the earth formed only 6000 years ago.

Evolution, to my mind, is easier to grasp, at least as a concept, than the life-from-inorganics process. It helped me when I saw PCR first-hand, where decidedly non-living, short nucleic acid chains reproduce themselves in a test tube. It's all down to the binding properties of the 4 nucleic acids - Cytosine binds to Guanine and Adenine binds to Thymine. Given that, it can be seen how "complementary" nucleic acid chains can spontaneously form by the nucleotides binding to an existing chain, so for example the chain CGAT creates a complementary chain GCTA, which can then create a further chain CGAT which is identical to the first chain, and a non-living molecule has reproduced itself. I can't explain how all that happened on Earth as proto-life, but unlike some closed-minded religionists I don't insist on the existence of the "god of the gaps" to explain what I don't know. There's enough known to show it's plausible that life came about naturally rather than supernaturally, but I can see how people unfamiliar with the right bits of chemistry might find it very hard to see, and most people don't know much chemistry.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2024, 5:03 am

TheNet wrote:
There are "Christians" who treat the Bible as a smörgåsbord of beliefs from which they can pick and choose verses as they see fit -- interpreting those very same verses as either fact or metaphor (and sometimes both), also as they see fit.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2024, 1:15 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
TheNet wrote:
Evolution is the alternative to creation. If the Earth didn't originate through creation, it formed through evolution which makes less sense

It seems your understanding of what evolution refers to is incorrect, meaning your conclusions will also inevitably be incorrect.

The theory of evolution via natural selection makes no mention of the origins of the planet. It's strictly focused on the idea that the current diversity of life as we know it all shares a common ancestor and how that diversity slowly emerged.

Creationists often conflate a number of scientific theories together to make something analogous to their creation myth but science doesn't merge them. Disproving the big bang wouldn't impact our understanding of how the solar system and it's planets formed; disproving or altering both of those wouldn't impact the theory of evolution via natural selection.

The big bang describes the origin of the universe.

The nebular hypothesis describes how stars and their systems form.

Abiogenesis describes how self-replicating molecules can gradually come to be sophisticated enough that we'd consider them life.

The theory of evolution via natural selection describes how life gradually adapts to environmental changes and to fulfil new roles.

Those are four distinct theories with no real overlap. If you insist on mashing them all together you'll reach wrong conclusions about them because you insisted on starting with an incorrect understanding of them.

Stars do undergo a different type of evolution. It is called stellar evolution. However much like the evolution of life doesn't deal with the origin of life, stellar evolution doesn't deal with how stars form, only how they change over time after they have formed.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2024, 3:40 pm

Geological Gradualism is the term for how the nonliving lithosphere works. Mountains gradually wash into the sea. Layers of sediment build up. Strictly speaking "evolution" is only how living species emerge. But evolution fits right into geological gradualism because of the vast time scales involved.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2024, 2:40 am

TheNet wrote:
Evolution is the alternative to creation. If the Earth didn't originate through creation, it formed through evolution which makes less sense

There are actually plenty of us who profess Christianity who also embrace a divinely inspired evolution. It doesn't have to be just one or the other.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2024, 5:51 am

I refuse to believe that I came from a monkey.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2024, 6:50 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Me too.
Quote:
Humans did not evolve from monkeys. Humans are more closely related to modern apes than to monkeys, but we didn't evolve from apes, either. Humans share a common ancestor with modern African apes, like gorillas and chimpanzees. Scientists believe this common ancestor existed 5 to 8 million years ago. Shortly thereafter, the species diverged into two separate lineages. One of these lineages ultimately evolved into gorillas and chimps, and the other evolved into early human ancestors called hominids.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/libr ... cat02.html

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2024, 7:52 am

CockneyRebel wrote:

Why not?

We had to come from some thing that wasnt human before becoming human.

Genesis says we were fashioned out of mud.

Why is "mud" better than monkeys? :lol:

In fact both things apparently actually happened (so to speak). The first cells formed in the primoridial ooze at the bottom of the seas of the young earth (aka "mud")...and then four billion years later the chimps branched off from the old world monkeys and one of the three kinds of chimps became us while the other two became standard chimps, and bonobos, respectively.

Space50
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jun 2024, 9:51 am

Fnord wrote:
TheNet wrote:
What do you think about evolution?
I think it's real.

What do you think of people who sneer at the mere suggestion that humans, monkeys, and apes may have had a common ape-like ancestor, but who seem to feel a sense of pride in believing that the first human was created from a handful of dirt?

Well, humans apparently did come from mud. The Bible just leaves out the intermediate steps.

Romofan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2024, 10:28 am

Hello, all.

I am an Atheist and have zero belief in anything like Creationism. The idea that we evolved from other animals intuitively makes sense. However, I do not see how anything like Evolution as currently proposed could have worked itself out in the currently accepted timeline of existence. I KNOW how long the Earth has been around, and more importantly how long it has been able to sustain life. The kind of random mutational fluke progression/adaptation to environments as proposed would take forever. And a day. I am not convinced that there isn't some kind of intentional mechanism that guided our progress upward, call it what you will. And I hate seeing how closed minded adherence to today's accepted theory shuts down reasoned discourse.

Have a great day!