Page 9 of 16 [ 243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 12:15 am

And then there's this...

Demi Lovato forgot to blend her makeup, and that apparently warrants an entire news article on it.

Demi Lovato Forgets to Blend Her Makeup

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 1:38 am

Chronos wrote:
And then there's this...

Demi Lovato forgot to blend her makeup, and that apparently warrants an entire news article on it.

Demi Lovato Forgets to Blend Her Makeup

I would agree with you that's a ridiculous article. Do you think it's men's fault that article was written? It was written by a woman and I don't think it was targetted at male readers.

You could argue that these situations exist because men demand women wear makeup but most men wouldn't notice her makeup wasn't blended. Most men don't know what makeup blending is.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 5:37 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
BettaPonic wrote:
lidsmichelle wrote:
I hate to break it to you but microaggressions are an actual issue, especially with racism. A microaggression is making a comment about a black person's natural hair being unprofessional or a comment about how smart they are for a black person. And yes they are what keeps larger oppressive structures afloat. Most racism isn't as in your face as lynching anymore, but the small things are what make it so people are negatively impacted.

Marxism and Nazism aren't even nearly the same things, and I admit I'm concerned for your mental faculties that you think they are lol.

That doesn't sound serious. If someone's hair is unprofessional in a workplace then they should abide by the rules everyone else follows. If someone says you are smart take it as a compliment, it could just be poor wording. How does hearing those small things negatively affect life? Feelings don't count. Racism used to be lynchings, being owned, lacking voting rights. Now it is a comment about hair. :roll:

Well why are they saying the hair is unprofessional? Do they mean they don't tie it back or that they have some super extreme hairstyle....or that their hair doesn't look like that of a professional white person? Different ethnicities do have some different hair textures in things so yes to suggest someones natural hair makes them 'unprofessional' can certainly be problematic.

I agree, I think unprofessional hair should be the hair that negatively affects the workplace. I don't see how dreadlocks do that personally. That might just be because am used to it though. Retro, I agree MRAs and feminists seem to both have a huge victim complex. I personally prefer studying an issue to figure out why it happens and if it actually a problem.

The way I see it most hair can be tied back, put in a hair net ect and be just fine for the work place...even if someone has a crazy mohawk, what does it matter if at work they keep it contained at work?

That is what I am saying. Only if the haircut or hairstyle makes the job harder. Let's say for example you keep hair that cannot be contained, that is the line for me. Another example is a sales person with a Hitler's mustache.

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 10:55 am

Chronos wrote:
I feel this thread has been somewhat hijacked from the OP, so I would like to redirect attention back to him (or her if that is the desired pronoun) and ask what has provoked the OP to make this post? Surely something unpleasant for the OP has transpired.

Yeah I made up my mind and decided to keep identifying as female. So that genderfluid idea is completely abandoned.

The reason I decided to make this thread was becuase I fear that, with the rise of third-wave feminism, we might end up creating a matriarch society instead of the "equal" society that we equality-seekers worked so hard to build. Of course that is not to say that men aren't abusing their power, but by no means is that a valid excuse to be treating them like second-class citizens!

I also feel concerend about the extremist acts of the mostly Tumblr-dwelling feminists who spread their immature ideas that dictate:

-It's impossible for a black person to be racist (Seriously? Anyone of any race can and will be racist!)

-It's impossible to be racist against whites (fun fact: it's racist to be calling white people racist without any valid proof :wink: )

-It is an abnormal thing in life for one's feelings to be hurt (the majority of the people who spread this idea aren't even kids! )

-Gender is a social construct (if that was true I would be Identifying as a man a long time ago. :lol: But since my brain is hardwired to make me act like a woman, I can't choose to be a man. The reality is that gender, like it or not, has biological properties, especually when it comes to the human brain's neurlogical structure.)

with that I hope you understand where I'm coming from. :)

-Thomas Jefferson

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 11:00 am

Speaking from personal experience, you won't get far with such a measured, considered viewpoint. You won't get far convincing people, but you may get far in understanding. So if that also seems like a fair trade to you, you have my best wishes.

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 11:01 am

Chronos wrote:
MDD123 wrote:
I remember dongle-gate from a few years ago. A couple of guys were making crude jokes and a woman sitting in front of them snapped their picture and posted their misdeed on her twitter feed. One of the guys got fired because of it. She said they were making the place the place hostile for women by making those jokes. I actually looked at her twitter feed and found a sex-joke posted by a friend which she didn't seem to mind.

I don't know if its the AS talking, but I don't think anyone should get fired for telling the wrong joke.

Many employers have conduct policies that they require their employees to adhere to, because of a person can be associated with their place of employment, then their behavior could, in some instances, reflect poorly on the company or institution.

Don't you think that employers are trying way too hard to pander towards feminazis?

-Thomas Jefferson

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 11:02 am

Forget my last post. Feminazis? Seriously?

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 11:29 am

MushroomPrincess wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Men are being asked to behave politically correct in the workplace.

This requires them to assume the feminite traits of empathy, sensitivity and social-awareness.

So, yes, men are being asked to change, and become like women.

Empathy, sensitivity, and social awareness are considered feminine traits? I thought those were just human traits.

They are, however both genders usually have different inclinations toward these traits. Why? Because both genders are mostly influenced by their unique hormones (testosterone and estrogen). Generally (excluding the exeptions) Men tend to favor action oriented activities, like sports, going to war and exercise. Meanwhile women are favor the more sentimental and subtle things of life. Empathy, sensitivity and social awarness tends to be more common amongst women than they are in men.

What LoveNotHate is reffering to is the fact that society seems built in favor of the traits commonly found in women than men, and men are punished for being... Men.

Just because men tend to like more violent activities doesn't make them ruthless demons like most feminists are trying to make them look.

Check out this video, as it elaborates more on my point:

-Thomas Jefferson

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 11:32 am

jrjones9933 wrote:

It's a term I use to refer to the crazy, extremist feminists. Sorry if that turned you off. :roll:

-Thomas Jefferson

lazyflower
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Mar 2017, 11:41 am

But are you aware of the injustice that women all over the world have faced for years and years. Yes, a lot of things are better nowadays, but things still aren't alright. Rape and abuse happen a lot more to women than men, as well as "everyday sexism". In less civilized parts of the world, women are still extremely suppressed. Just because you don't experience sexism, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Feminism IS about equality, and there's still inequality today regarding gender. This is why we have international women's day and need feminism. Some might take feminism too far and use it as an excuse to "hate all men", but they are wrong.

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 11:44 am

lazyflower wrote:
But are you aware of the injustice that women all over the world have faced for years and years. Yes, a lot of things are better nowadays, but things still aren't alright. Rape and abuse happen a lot more to women than men, as well as "everyday sexism". In less civilized parts of the world, women are still extremely suppressed. Just because you don't experience sexism, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Feminism IS about equality, and there's still inequality today regarding gender. This is why we have international women's day and need feminism. Some might take feminism too far and use it as an excuse to "hate all men", but they are wrong.

I think what feminists should do is turn their focus the aforementioned less civilized parts of the world, like Saudi Arabia.

-Thomas Jefferson

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 12:03 pm

lazyflower wrote:

Feminism is about whatever feminists choose to make it about. A major problem for feminism is that it's a flag that literally anyone can fly, and that some of the more extreme elements are protected simply by nature of showing the correct colours. Until a "Femipope" is chosen, there will no single ideological authority.

Egalitarianism predates feminism and did not need to be replaced (read 'hijacked') by an inferior ideology in sheep's clothing. The common false dichotomy that frequently follows an earlier claim in this thread, is that one can be either a feminist or one can be anti-equality. It's utter hogwash that favours virtue signalling over actual intentions. After all, as long as you're singing from the correct hymn sheet, it doesn't matter if you're secretly a Protestant.

As for the original post. No, women are still women and men are still men. Their roles are overlapping to a far greater extent than ever before, in a break from tradition which is causing inevitable social growing pains, and has done for decades (whether or not this will ultimately be more of a good thing than a bad thing will be determined by time), but there are biological factors influencing human behaviour that inform culture as much as, if not a great deal more than culture informs sex and sexuality.

That isn't to say that I disagree with all of your observations, I simply wouldn't express it in terms of a removal of rights... yet. That there is a risk of men becoming second-class citizens by nature of being born with the original sin of possessing a penis is something which cannot be ignored.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 12:30 pm

Chronos wrote:
Are there government or corporate policies that discriminate against minorities?

Social Security, for starters. It has always excluded domestic and farm workers. Care to guess why?

There is also a long record of racism at agricultural extension offices, which have harmed rural landowners of color. They are overlooked in the debate to a shocking extent, almost as if people wanted to concentrate poor minorities in urban slums. Public housing began explicitly segregated, and not much has changed.

Then there's the natural tendency of polluters to find the areas where people have the least political power to do their polluting. DJT has defunded the office of environmental justice, and the boss resigned in protest, so expect to see that become official practice, if not official policy.

Last edited by jrjones9933 on 13 Mar 2017, 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 12:36 pm

The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
I think what feminists should do is turn their focus the aforementioned less civilized parts of the world, like Saudi Arabia.

Ignore the injustices visited upon them personally? Good luck with that.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 1:11 pm

The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

It's a term I use to refer to the crazy, extremist feminists. Sorry if that turned you off. :roll:

It's a term that undermines the credibility of whatever comes after it. Sorry if your choice to destroy whatever credibility you might have otherwise had makes your arguments pointless to express. :wink:

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 1:25 pm

adifferentname wrote:
lazyflower wrote:

Feminism is about whatever feminists choose to make it about. A major problem for feminism is that it's a flag that literally anyone can fly, and that some of the more extreme elements are protected simply by nature of showing the correct colours. Until a "Femipope" is chosen, there will no single ideological authority.

Egalitarianism predates feminism and did not need to be replaced (read 'hijacked') by an inferior ideology in sheep's clothing. The common false dichotomy that frequently follows an earlier claim in this thread, is that one can be either a feminist or one can be anti-equality. It's utter hogwash that favours virtue signalling over actual intentions. After all, as long as you're singing from the correct hymn sheet, it doesn't matter if you're secretly a Protestant.

As for the original post. No, women are still women and men are still men. Their roles are overlapping to a far greater extent than ever before, in a break from tradition which is causing inevitable social growing pains, and has done for decades (whether or not this will ultimately be more of a good thing than a bad thing will be determined by time), but there are biological factors influencing human behaviour that inform culture as much as, if not a great deal more than culture informs sex and sexuality.

That isn't to say that I disagree with all of your observations, I simply wouldn't express it in terms of a removal of rights... yet. That there is a risk of men becoming second-class citizens by nature of being born with the original sin of possessing a penis is something which cannot be ignored.

Wish WP had a "like" button.

Anyway, I get annoyed with the "blame men for everything." It not only unfairly stigmatizes men, but it removes agency from women by refusing to acknowledge when we're responsible for our own crap.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)