Why Do Girls Wear Tighter and/or More Revealing Clothes?

Page 2 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 11:03 pm

I think some of what women wear is dictated by fashion magazines.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 11:15 pm

I dress only to please one person. Me. I would almost rather go nude than have to wear all the incredibly uncomfortable, gross-feeling garments aimed specifically at females.

I've read about how in the 60's when my parents were young mini-skirts were a big thing, so it's not like this is some new thing.

I'm 41, so supposedly I should be wearing shawls while I sit in my rocking chair knitting sweaters for tiny dogs. :roll:

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 11:47 pm

(rhetorical)
I guess you are not talking about Persian girls in the Islamic Republic of Iran or Inuit Girls out for a stroll in the high Arctic?

(Moderating)
In any case, this conversation doesn't seem to be about autism. Moving it to PPR because it seems to be primarily about those things rather than autism, love & dating or science...

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 12:55 am

Quote:
Not exactly true. The genders mainly differ in terms of Sexual Reproduction, which, if I'm not mistaken, is a necessity of evolution (or at least of it occurring faster). It still suits our interests for survival. Gender Equality is mainly an opportunity thing, in that women should have as many chances as men to do things, it does not mean at all that women are entirely equal to men because they're not. This does not inherently mean that women are at a disadvantage, it means that men and women are better than the other gender at different tasks. For example, women, evolutionarily, have the unique role of being mothers. As such they can "sense emotion", and empathize much better than males can, because it can help when raising children. This doesn't mean women can't do anything else, they can. They are just better suited for such a task. The physical differences are obvious, the average man is much stronger than the average woman. Not sure why that is a thing (might have to do with hunting and more of the childrearing thing women can do), but either way because of that and because of the weird animalistic tendencies humans have, it's generally the males that protect the females. All this stuff bleeds through into today and I don't think any of these things are going away anytime soon.

Ah, but sex and gender are different things. A person's sex refers to their physical makeup, sexual organs, etc. Gender is a completely socially fabricated system of behaviours built up in response to those physical differences. The former is, for most people at least, unavoidable, and serves some practical use for reproduction, though not for long from some of the things I read about reproducing outside of the human body altogether. Don't even get into the debate about whether we should be reproducing as a species at all when we are fatally overcrowding the planet. But gender seems completely useless to me. It serves only to create trouble and divisions between people. Step into the grey area even further and you have the gender diverse - intersex and otherwise - who don't fit male or female either physically or in terms of gender roles.
In regard to swimwear, maybe its just because your average woman is about a million times better looking than your average man? :wink:

Savegraduation
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Dec 2015, 12:56 am

brandonb1312 wrote:
Or why do girls reveal more than men?

The male analogue of "girl" is "boy".

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 1:30 am

to attract some man who isn't me

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 3:14 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
I dress only to please one person. Me. I would almost rather go nude than have to wear all the incredibly uncomfortable, gross-feeling garments aimed specifically at females.

I've read about how in the 60's when my parents were young mini-skirts were a big thing, so it's not like this is some new thing.

When I was in junior high in the latter part of the 1960s, there was a thick stone ledge on each side of the steps going up to the front door. In just about any weather except for a torrential downpour, which is quite rare in this area, I would sit on the stone ledge by myself after lunch while waiting for the lunch period to be over and we'd start the next class.

And nearly every day, one girl a year or two younger than me who thought herself to be really hot would walk by in her miniskirt. While I had no interest in her at all, she seemed to think that the reason I sat there was to watch her walk by. And nearly every day she would turn around and call me names when the wind would blow her skirt around. If not for her daily screaming names at me, I would not even remember her walking by.

If I had wanted to watch her miniskirt blow in the wind, sitting on a ledge ten or twelve feet above the ground was hardly the place to sit.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 4:32 am

brandonb1312 wrote:
Also to clarify, I think both genders should be treated exactly the same which is why the gender differences like this bother me.

I guess you young folk have had so much exposure to the politically correct nonsense that everybody is exactly the same, that you actually believe it which then creates confusion when you observe that in reality, they are not.

For a start, Women are more aesthetically pleasing, whilst some men can look good when young if they spend a lot of time in the gym, generally, Women look good naturally, men have to work at it, especially as aging takes effect where Women themselves give up the tight clothes when they no longer have the figure to show off.
So basically, if you got it, flaunt it, and women have it more than men.

The other point is that men are more aroused visually than women, so women find they receive more male attention when they dress sexually, if men dress sexually, its just wrong, think of Borat in his thong, other men are going to find this disgusting, like men who show their genitals to little girls, and I think women would be more inclined to laugh at or find creepy men who dress so that their genitals outline is plainly on display.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 9:32 am

nurseangela wrote:
... Now I'd like some men to answer why they don't want to wear something more revealing themselves.
Because I am physically unappealing - a pale, white, overweight, balding, middle-aged male with geezerbutt and a crooked posture.

nurseangela wrote:
Women pretty much have no choice.
Wrong. Women have many more choices than men. Here in California, I see many women at the beach in baggy shorts and baggy tops. Of course, I also see "bikini babes" everywhere, too. Some women look great, others don't.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 9:47 am

NT minds can actually go into meltdown when they can't identify gender. They get stuck trying to figure it out and can't go any further.

Wearing clothes that helps other people identify gender facilitates non-verbal communication among NTs.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 11:35 am

This 60's garage rock tune a pushback against the British music and culture invasion going on at the time is about the topic at hand

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 12:04 pm

Nambo wrote:
brandonb1312 wrote:
Also to clarify, I think both genders should be treated exactly the same which is why the gender differences like this bother me.

I guess you young folk have had so much exposure to the politically correct nonsense that everybody is exactly the same, that you actually believe it which then creates confusion when you observe that in reality, they are not.

For a start, Women are more aesthetically pleasing, whilst some men can look good when young if they spend a lot of time in the gym, generally, Women look good naturally, men have to work at it, especially as aging takes effect where Women themselves give up the tight clothes when they no longer have the figure to show off.
So basically, if you got it, flaunt it, and women have it more than men.

The other point is that men are more aroused visually than women, so women find they receive more male attention when they dress sexually, if men dress sexually, its just wrong, think of Borat in his thong, other men are going to find this disgusting, like men who show their genitals to little girls, and I think women would be more inclined to laugh at or find creepy men who dress so that their genitals outline is plainly on display.

You're assuming all us young folk believe everyone is 'exactly the same'....I actually don't even know anyone in person who thinks that. Everyone should have equal rights...but not sure its even possible or appropriate to treat everyone exactly the same so you sort of have a point there.

Varelse
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2015, 2:30 pm

Why does anyone do anything?

Because their friends do it

Because they admire a celebrity who does it

Because they like the way tight clothes feel

Because revealing clothes are also cooler and less restrictive (if one actually prefers to be naked but can't do that in public)

Because they like the way the clothes look on them

Because they like some of the attention they get (unless it's from someone repulsive to them, or it's negative)

Because it's laundry day and the only clean clothes they have are the ones they bought back when they were 5-10 percent smaller than they are now (ouch)

And so on...

ResilientBrilliance
Toucan
Toucan

02 Dec 2015, 7:03 pm

I wear tight jeans because my jeans tend to shrink and I hate shopping for new jeans. I'm too poor anyway so I'll wear the few jeans I have until they start cutting off my circulation.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 7:09 pm

BTDT wrote:
NT minds can actually go into meltdown when they can't identify gender. They get stuck trying to figure it out and can't go any further.

Wearing clothes that helps other people identify gender facilitates non-verbal communication among NTs.

This is funny! (probably because it's true 8O )

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 10:11 pm

Unless you're up to their standards, it means, "I'm sexy, and you're not, so stay the hell away".

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.