Page 2 of 18 [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2020, 10:56 pm

Magna wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I keep hearing what a wonderful protection racket they've spun up. Orderly, expedient, and business-friendly - what's not to like.

That's all I've heard so far; that it's a wonderful place. Perhaps it's true. It's also possible given they haven't let any "biased media" gain entrance that they're controlling the narrative. That seems creepy.

I was thinking today that if Minneapolis, a city of over 400,000 people dismantles its police department and if crime happened to increase markedly, there's no way a narrative of "it's all good" could to held for long. Maybe in the MSM, but with the internet, accounts from people as to their actual experiences would come out.

Supplying an "army" is always problematical.
How long can they last?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2020, 11:24 pm

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2020, 12:41 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:

Yup.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2020, 1:37 am

vermontsavant wrote:
My personal opinion is that they need to crack down on these protesters and crack down on them hard,the protesting,the riots the looting,it's all out of control.People have made there point on toxic police behavior and now it's time for order.

Well can the government arrest the protesters or give them warning that anyone protesting in the streets after a certain date will be arrested, like give them a week to all clear out?

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2020, 3:21 am

ironpony wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
My personal opinion is that they need to crack down on these protesters and crack down on them hard,the protesting,the riots the looting,it's all out of control.People have made there point on toxic police behavior and now it's time for order.

Well can the government arrest the protesters or give them warning that anyone protesting in the streets after a certain date will be arrested, like give them a week to all clear out?

Or, maybe they could listen to them and try and promise to do meaningful change that would meet their complaints. Just feels like that would be better than pretending you understand their complaint of toxic police and not doing anything that will have substantial change.

The protests and stuff are only as bad now because they have done protests before but nothing change. You ignore this one, it is going to be even worse next time, you might even create terrorists that will have to do drastic things to make sure that they are not ignored.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2020, 4:36 am

Well the thing about defunding police departments is I think it will do more harm than good, and a lot of other people probably think that too. So I thought the reason why they didn't listen to protester's demands before was that it would do more harm than good. Or at least come to some sort of compromise rather than defund departments in every city in the country almost.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2020, 4:44 am

ironpony wrote:
Well the thing about defunding police departments is I think it will do more harm than good, and a lot of other people probably think that too. So I thought the reason why they didn't listen to protester's demands before was that it would do more harm than good. Or at least come to some sort of compromise rather than defund departments in every city in the country almost.

What do you think defund the police means?

Have you perhaps heard of sentences like education has been defunded before?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2020, 5:51 am

“Defunding” can be interpreted many ways.

More and more, it doesn’t mean to “dismantle” the police; rather, it means to divert funds meant for the police towards programs to address societal ills.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2020, 5:51 am

In the DarkHorse podcast above Bret offered an interesting possibility as to what could be happening with respect to the police department in this district where all of the staff took all of their possessions home with them. He was offering the idea that this was something of a deliberate tactic to let this group of people have this particular space so they could run their experiment, the predictable results (ie. lawlessness) would ensue, with the wager that it would look bad enough that it might help stem the tide on the push for no policing.

Any actual push for, literally, no police force and no courts is batisht crazy because it means there's only violence and intimidation to settle disputes. Something Bret suggested was the Ezra Kleinification of words, such as 'they say this but they really mean...' with respect to defunding the police and the New York Times piece suggesting that no - they mean it literally, I think a good way to put it as to why I'd say it would have to be a restructuring, no one with an opinion that anyone would take or listen to seriously would actually mean 'no police' and to the degree one did suggest that they were placating such thinking - assuming such thinking had unwarranted social power for a time being - is they'd simply need to find some way of getting the same thing done while, in word only, 'getting rid of the police'. Anyone whose made any kind of contact with social disorder at a professional level (with adult responsibility in dealing with the fallout) would know that pulling out any policing, and courts, is suicide. It's voluntarily sending your community into one of Dante's infernos similar to a perpetually burning Caracas Venezuela.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2020, 6:45 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
In the DarkHorse podcast above Bret offered an interesting possibility as to what could be happening with respect to the police department in this district where all of the staff took all of their possessions home with them. He was offering the idea that this was something of a deliberate tactic to let this group of people have this particular space so they could run their experiment, the predictable results (ie. lawlessness) would ensue, with the wager that it would look bad enough that it might help stem the tide on the push for no policing.

Any actual push for, literally, no police force and no courts is batisht crazy because it means there's only violence and intimidation to settle disputes. Something Bret suggested was the Ezra Kleinification of words, such as 'they say this but they really mean...' with respect to defunding the police and the New York Times piece suggesting that no - they mean it literally, I think a good way to put it as to why I'd say it would have to be a restructuring, no one with an opinion that anyone would take or listen to seriously would actually mean 'no police' and to the degree one did suggest that they were placating such thinking - assuming such thinking had unwarranted social power for a time being - is they'd simply need to find some way of getting the same thing done while, in word only, 'getting rid of the police'. Anyone whose made any kind of contact with social disorder at a professional level (with adult responsibility in dealing with the fallout) would know that pulling out any policing, and courts, is suicide. It's voluntarily sending your community into one of Dante's infernos similar to a perpetually burning Caracas Venezuela.

Yup.
"Mad Max-vill".

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2020, 12:53 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
ironpony wrote:

What do you think defund the police means?

Have you perhaps heard of sentences like education has been defunded before?

Oh okay, well why do they want the stations defunded? Are they loosing money on their taxes by funding the police?

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2020, 1:20 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Any actual push for, literally, no police force and no courts is batisht crazy because it means there's only violence and intimidation to settle disputes.

Exactly. I think even a grade school child could surmise the outcome. Human nature is human nature no matter what. Utopia isn't reality, it's fantasy.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2020, 1:30 pm

currently the articles on chaz,, place all 911 services are available to those residents inside the chaz area. perhaps they are demostrating their allergy to violence on both sides of the law.

where ever you go ,there you are

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2020, 2:48 pm

Well why doesn't the U.S. government, and military and law enforcement just give CHAZ a warning that if they do not all leave and go back to their homes, that they are just going to take the land back? Would this be too unreasonable of a response?

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2020, 3:03 pm

political grandstanding............

where ever you go ,there you are

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2020, 3:24 pm

Magna wrote:
Does anyone want to move to CHAZ? CHAZ stands for Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone. It's a six block section of Seattle that has been taken over presumably by BLM protesters complete with barricades. It's a law enforcement free zone.

They have their own police force. Called watchers. Just saw a video of them chocking a guy who says they chocking me.