Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2020, 11:21 am

It's a funny thing - incivility and Darwinian competition spills out every side of society (each race eating their own all day long these days) and the most important thing for us to be mindful of is microaggressions.

If I were a plutocrat there's hardly a message I could get behind faster. I might even kiss a few boots and see if I can get knighted - it's free and it's great publicity.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2020, 12:27 pm

People have racial hatred because of a reason.

What I see ... in the US ... is this reason is because black people are associated with poverty relative to white people.

Be the hero of your life.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2020, 12:49 pm

It's Really Important to Get Educated NoW
That there is Systematic Racism in America,
Overall, so i won't have to Hear Ignorance at
the Pulpit At Church Suggesting that there
is a Huge Problem With Stuff Like
'Anti-Fa' And 'Violence in
Protests' when Science
Shows 93 Percent of
the Protests Are Peaceful;
And the President's Own FBI
Appointed Director Shows Additional
Science that Indicates White Supremacists
Are the Greatest Domestic Terrorist Threat
IN the United States Through 2021; Ignorance
And Just OutRight Lies by those so-called Top in Charge
Who Contradict those Actual Professionals And Scientists
in the Know is Not Only Dangerous in Racism, Specific to
White Supremacy in Systemizing Ways of Potential Greatest
Injury And Death to Others in Domestic Terrorism When it comes
from the so-Called Political Top; Yes, This Ignorance Is Also Even More
Dangerous In Terms of Health, When the CDC Director Professionally Says A Vaccine
Won't be Generally Available for the Whole Population till Close to this Day Next Year;
When someone who is Obviously Patently and Purposefully 'Ignorant' Now About all
Science Has to Offer as Truth, IS Dictating LieS in "Pipe Dreams" intently instead of Truth
Now all for Selfish
Personal
'Political
Profits';
Truly,
Effectively
Killing With Selfish Gains
Against Other Innocent Folks Now;

Yes, We Needs Lots of Education
in Truth in Light out of Dark Lies,
Propagated as Propaganda now;
Truly, A "Face Palm Forest" is becoming too Thick Needing
A Bit of Burn-off Now for The Truth to Breathe a bit Freer TO SAVE LIVES FOR REAL NOW.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

HawkingShrugged
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Sep 2020, 1:06 pm

Fnord wrote:
magz wrote:
Fnord wrote:
We have a saying for that, here in the 'States.  It's "Walking on Eggshells".  The idea being that cracking or crushing a few eggshells while walking is unavoidable.

Yeah... while I would love everyone to be as respectful as possible, I would also love it if people did their best to avoid demanding others to "walk on eggshells" around them.
I used to correct everyone who pronounced words improperly (i.e., "feb-YOO-airy" instead of "feb-ROO-airy").

Now I just confine such corrections to typed speech; but I'm tapering off on that, as well (with great effort, I might add).

Yesterday, WEDnsDay, most Brits pronounced the day of the week incorrectly. :lol:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2020, 1:22 pm

HawkingShrugged wrote:
Fnord wrote:
magz wrote:
Fnord wrote:
We have a saying for that, here in the 'States.  It's "Walking on Eggshells".  The idea being that cracking or crushing a few eggshells while walking is unavoidable.
Yeah... while I would love everyone to be as respectful as possible, I would also love it if people did their best to avoid demanding others to "walk on eggshells" around them.
I used to correct everyone who pronounced words improperly (i.e., "feb-YOO-airy" instead of "feb-ROO-airy").  Now I just confine such corrections to typed speech; but I'm tapering off on that, as well (with great effort, I might add).
Yesterday, WEDnsDay, most Brits pronounced the day of the week incorrectly. :lol:
It's "WO-tanz-day", anyway...

:wink:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2020, 1:59 pm

At this point I would like to point out that language is a social convention, and that the rules of language (pronunciation, grammar Nazism, sentence structure etc.) are not fixed and set in stone.

It may look like a duck, swim like a duck and quack like a duck, but if everyone decides to call it a zombie demon ghost pirate from Heck... then it probably is a zombie demon ghost pirate from Heck...

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2020, 2:30 pm

GGPViper wrote:
At this point I would like to point out that language is a social convention, and that the rules of language (pronunciation, grammar Nazism, sentence structure etc.) are not fixed and set in stone.

It may look like a duck, swim like a duck and quack like a duck, but if everyone decides to call it a zombie demon ghost pirate from Heck... then it probably is a zombie demon ghost pirate from Heck...

So True; like some so-called
Educated Folks From Where
i Live, who Still Believe
There is a
Basement
of Washington
Top Leaders
Torturing
Cannibalizing
As Pedofiles in
A Pizza Parlor Basement there;
There is Not much Concrete
About the Human Condition
but Change; And if Anyone Takes
Freedom For Granted in The United
States; Who Believes THAT Can
Not And Will Not Go away; if they choose not
Not to Get
Out
And
Vote;
Indeed,
in Dreams
And Nightmares
Brought into Fruition
For Real or Not Real As Real too;
We Co-Create Our Realities Or Someone
Else Will Co-Create Our Next Reality
AS
US...

As
THERE IS
TRULY NOTHING
CONCRETE ABOUT CHANGE
When it Comes to Human Minds FOR REAL...
As Human Minds Constantly Change And Create
Culture Now

ToGeTHeR

For Real...

Yes, at the
Micro-Level
of Letters
of Words
Ever Now
Changing CuLTuRE NoW
in Form And Essence too;
Some Folks will do their
Best to Stay in the Cave;
And Others will simply
Be Forced
into Other

Caves

New...

Again,
We Have
A Lot to
Say WHere
We 'Land' Next OR NOT NoW...

'Black Lives Matter' Is Having THeir
Say No Matter What 'the Cave' ReTorts

Back Or

Not

NoW

in
Refusal
to Change...

During the Hurricane
When all we Had was a
Battery Powered Radio after
All the Rest of the 'Media Juice'
Dried up; listening for 'Fun' then to
the Propaganda of the 'Extreme Right'
That invades Most of the AirWaves of Radio
Where i Live; Truly An Alternate Reality of Human
Communication

That Is So Very

Fascinating;
Just Truly
Fascinating
in the Reality
of Change; Gotta
Stay Informed to
See Where Everyone
Truly Breathes DiFFeReNTLY;
THeRE aRe No Holds Barred As Most All oF iT Rises and Falls...

And Truly Talk Radio is One place 'Left'

Where that Freedom to Fully

Construct An Alternate

Contrived and Controlled

Reality exists...

Hmm;
Favor
of On
Line indeed;
Trimming the
Faux News, so Obvious that way...

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2020, 6:43 pm

Fnord wrote:
magz wrote:
Fnord wrote:
magz wrote:
Fnord wrote:
magz wrote:
I wouldn't confine it to racism.  Everyone should try their best to avoid being unintentionally offensive... and let's have some tolerance to people only learning to do better.
Are you implying that I am fat?  Some people can find offense in anything.
That's why some tolerance helps.  PS: Tolerance has a long tradition in Poland and it means accepting some amount of things you believe to be wrong, traditionally "heresy".  That's how we avoided involvement in 30 Years War and I find it worth it.
I understand.  My point is that some people are offended by ordinary words that are part of most people's normal vocabulary, while others perceive an insult where none was made, and still others infer evil intent where none was implied and no matter what was said.

When even "Have a nice day" is perceived as a personal attack, I have to wonder if people are really offended, or if they just want someone else to shut up and go away.
Avoiding stomping on people's feet is hard when you're socially blind.
We have a saying for that, here in the 'States.  It's "Walking on Eggshells".

The idea being that cracking or crushing a few eggshells while walking is unavoidable.

When you are "walking on eggshells" you are more likely to offend because your inauthenticity is picked up, you are so tense and anxious that you can't think straight thus are more likely to make a verbal mistake. This should be obvious to autistics who not only "walk on eggshells" about racial matters but all social interactions.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Sep 2020, 3:21 am

My husband sent me an interesting article, tackling the topic: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ss/572581/
It's written from the point of view of "progressive activists" but it provides data from representative population and the data is a bit embrassing for the author:

Quote:
Among the general population, a full 80 percent believe that “political correctness is a problem in our country.” Even young people are uncomfortable with it, including 74 percent ages 24 to 29, and 79 percent under age 24. On this particular issue, the woke are in a clear minority across all ages.
Quote:
Whites are ever so slightly less likely than average to believe that political correctness is a problem in the country: 79 percent of them share this sentiment. Instead, it is Asians (82 percent), Hispanics (87 percent), and American Indians (88 percent) who are most likely to oppose political correctness. As one 40-year-old American Indian in Oklahoma said in his focus group, according to the report:
Quote:
It seems like everyday you wake up something has changed … Do you say Jew? Or Jewish? Is it a black guy? African-American? … You are on your toes because you never know what to say. So political correctness in that sense is scary.
Quote:
One obvious question is what people mean by “political correctness.” In the extended interviews and focus groups, participants made clear that they were concerned about their day-to-day ability to express themselves: They worry that a lack of familiarity with a topic, or an unthinking word choice, could lead to serious social sanctions for them.
Quote:
(...) while 80 percent of Americans believe that political correctness has become a problem in the country, even more, 82 percent, believe that hate speech is also a problem.

It turns out that while progressive activists tend to think that only hate speech is a problem, and devoted conservatives tend to think that only political correctness is a problem, a clear majority of all Americans holds a more nuanced point of view: They abhor racism. But they don’t think that the way we now practice political correctness represents a promising way to overcome racial injustice.
Quote:
For the millions upon millions of Americans of all ages and all races who do not follow politics with rapt attention, and who are much more worried about paying their rent than about debating the prom dress worn by a teenager in Utah, contemporary callout culture merely looks like an excuse to mock the values or ignorance of others. As one 57- year-old woman in Mississippi fretted:
Quote:
The way you have to term everything just right. And if you don’t term it right you discriminate them. It’s like everybody is going to be in the know of what people call themselves now and some of us just don’t know. But if you don’t know then there is something seriously wrong with you.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2020, 3:29 am

"Racist is an adjective not a noun"

Nobody would admit to being "a racist".

Fine. Improve your actions so less of the actions (words etc) are racist.

Calling somebody a racist doesn't help anything cos it implies they can't change.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2020, 4:01 am

It's the context and intent that matters more in my eyes. Being racist implies a level of knowing culpability.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2020, 5:03 am

KT67 wrote:
Fine. Improve your actions so less of the actions (words etc) are racist.

Equating actions to words is a dangerous threshold to cross.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2020, 6:32 am

What irritates me about the “Woke” viewpoint is the assumption that white people are automatically racist, while nonwhite people cannot be racist because they are automatically oppressed.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2020, 6:49 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
What irritates me about the “Woke” viewpoint is the assumption that white people are automatically racist, while nonwhite people cannot be racist because they are automatically oppressed.

As someone who would often be called such, I have no idea what you are talking about as an assumption that white people and only people are racist. It kind of seems like a strawman assumption of not understanding what the term white privilege means.

Literally everyone has biases, and thus some level of racism, it is basic psychology that research can show be made on various arbitrary differences, even in animals.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2020, 6:53 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

Spot on. I got it now argument with a friend recently just because I wanted to find the cause of poverty in largely black areas. Apparently it was racist to think it might be anything other than racism.....even if I already agreed that it might have partly been because of racism.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2020, 8:35 am

I’m not saying there’s no racism. There certainly is. And it does cause marginalization. And poverty. It stares me in the face where I live, in NYC. And it’s rampant around the world.

But I’m told by “woke” folks that I’m automatically racist because I’m a white person, and that I’m privileged because I’m white. The first is false, and the second is partially true. I have received privilege owing to my “white” status. But I’ve also experienced oppression because I have autism and I’m....just....”different.” I didn’t get my job and my apartment because I was privileged. My supervisor is black. Most of my co-workers are nonwhite. A former manager was Hispanic. I live in a neighborhood where I’m a minority for being white.

This whole woke thing about racism is an oversimplification.

I’m the type of person who gets it from both sides. All moderates do :)

I feel like we have to go beyond this racism thing, and treat everybody like PEOPLE.