Page 2 of 7 [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2023, 9:56 pm

Hollywood occasionally puts on a veneer of woke-ness to seem progressive to limousine liberals and other liberals who gravitate towards superficial, feel-good conceptions of egalitarianism. they also seem more progressive than they actually are, since even surface-level lip service to progressivism is enough to upset many conservatives. Unfortunately, this has come to define what most consider "woke" since more people hear about these things through screenplays, Twitter, and the MSM than from studying the humanities or touching grass and having a real conversation with someone from a historically oppressed group.

It's a very specific example, but if Hollywood was "woke", then Killmonger would have been portrayed as a justified anti-villain and not a bloodthirsty hybrid of Spike Lee and Dick Dastardly. (I must now pray to [deity] for making a Marvel reference smh). There are any number of other examples, but the MCU is an excellent example of films that make vague overtures in favor of progressivism and equality, but then always end up doubling down on supporting the status quo.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 1:39 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
I think there's also the fact that some people genuinenly just don't like these kinds of movies or shows for reasons that have nothing to do with racism or sexism and they have pretty much been silenced ans told they are racist bigots just for not liking Star Wars or Rings of Power..

They don't get a say in casting though; The latest target of racist vitriol was the actress Moses Ingram who was mercilessly trolled for being a token/diversity quota and among other things attacked for how she looked/skin colour etc...

What these basement incels dont realise is that there was a competitive process to cast the character of Reva (or the third sister inquisitor) and Moses was literally the best candidate. Ingram later was reportedly perplexed at the fan hatred? after all she was doing her job. The character who played Jar Jar Binks (Ahmed Best) wasn't so lucky and was driven to attempt suicide several times.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 1:44 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
People of color want to see movies and TV shows based on THEIR history and culture, and I do understand and respect that because it has been ignored for far too long by the media.

Black Panther was a one-off because it was already a Marvel comic from the 1960s. For a corporation to make an all black cast in some historical drama is highly risky.

The Dahomey movie was a disaster not because of the cast (John Boyega and Viola Davis are top actrors) but because it sanitised and glamorised a tribe who were extremely evil and engaged in tortute, murder and slavery against other black people whose descendants include a large proportion of African Americans. .

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 3:08 am

Dengashinobi wrote:
As a non American

What country do you live in?

Dengashinobi wrote:
we enslaved no-one.

Now you really got me curious about what country you live in and what your cultural heritage is. Slavery, in one form or another, has existed almost everywhere.

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 3:40 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Dengashinobi wrote:
As a non American

Dengashinobi wrote:
we enslaved no-one.

Now you really got me curious about what country you live in and what your cultural heritage is. Slavery, in one form or another, has existed almost everywhere.

In Europe nobody has done that. At least not in the scale that was practiced in the Americas. Yes there was serfdom in the middle ages but it was a mild form of slavery and was gradually abandoned centuries ago. During communism everybody was a slave of the state, just like with serfdom. In modern times in the west we are still serfs but we call it tax paying.

The phenomenon of bringing slaves of another race, and treat them like cattle on an industrial scale was present in the Americas only.

My country shall remain a mystery. 8)

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 7:23 am

Dengashinobi wrote:
My country shall remain a mystery.

If he refuses to disclose his nationality then he probably lives in Switzerland, the most evil country in Europe.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 8:05 am

"Woke" has become a mere smear term deployed by right-wing nutjobs against anyone who isn't a right-wing nutjob.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 8:24 am

cyberdad wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
People of color want to see movies and TV shows based on THEIR history and culture, and I do understand and respect that because it has been ignored for far too long by the media.

Black Panther was a one-off because it was already a Marvel comic from the 1960s. For a corporation to make an all black cast in some historical drama is highly risky.

The Dahomey movie was a disaster not because of the cast (John Boyega and Viola Davis are top actrors) but because it sanitised and glamorised a tribe who were extremely evil and engaged in tortute, murder and slavery against other black people whose descendants include a large proportion of African Americans. .

I wasn't aware of a Dahomey movie (I watched a documentary about the kingdom's female warriors on The Smithsonian Channel).

I would never accuse them or any culture of being "evil". That's very narrow-minded as far as I'm concerned. Don't forget that they also had their entire culture destroyed by invading white colonists and the fact that you accuse them of being "evil" for the same sins that you go on about with white people commiting in regards to slavery and war crimes probably shows a bit of your own hypocrisy as a white person.

Last edited by DeathFlowerKing on 09 Mar 2023, 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 8:28 am

Dengashinobi wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
Dengashinobi wrote:
As a non American

Dengashinobi wrote:
we enslaved no-one.

In Europe nobody has done that. At least not in the scale that was practiced in the Americas. Yes there was serfdom in the middle ages but it was a mild form of slavery and was gradually abandoned centuries ago. During communism everybody was a slave of the state, just like with serfdom. In modern times in the west we are still serfs but we call it tax paying.

The phenomenon of bringing slaves of another race, and treat them like cattle on an industrial scale was present in the Americas only.

I smell bs on that one...

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 11:49 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Dengashinobi wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
Dengashinobi wrote:
As a non American

Dengashinobi wrote:
we enslaved no-one.

On which one?

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 11:55 am

Dengashinobi wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Dengashinobi wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
Dengashinobi wrote:
As a non American

Dengashinobi wrote:
we enslaved no-one.

On which one?

Europeans of all types DID have slaves, and they were treated atrociously too. Look at the Roman Empire as one of the primary examples of the brutality of slavery in Europe before colonists in the Americas used and abused slaves from Africa.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 12:08 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
I guess this is honestly why I can't stand "woke" movies and TV Shows. It's not that I'm against what woke should actually stand for, but what they push for in Hollywood feels so incredibly fake to me... :|

Did you watch Our Flag Means Death? I'd love to know what you think of that show :)

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 12:08 pm

Honey69 wrote:
"Woke" has become a mere smear term deployed by right-wing nutjobs against anyone who isn't a right-wing nutjob.

Yes, the same as PC.

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 12:09 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:

Europeans of all types DID have slaves, and they were treated atrociously too. Look at the Roman Empire as one of the primary examples of the brutality of slavery in Europe before colonists in the Americas used and abused slaves from Africa.

Yes sure there was slavery in ancient times in Europe but in the U.S. slavery was abolished fairly recently and was practiced on a racial basis. This racial relation is a societal issue linked specifically with the U.S. The white guilt is relevant to America only.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 12:16 pm

Dengashinobi wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

Yes sure there was slavery in ancient times in Europe but in the U.S. slavery was abolished fairly recently and was practiced on a racial basis. This racial relation is a societal issue linked specifically with the U.S. The white guilt is relevant to America only.

Slavery is slavery period. Doesn't matter how ancient or what color the slaves were. :roll:

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 1:53 pm

When I rant against woke Hollywood, I'm talking about rainbow capitalism and the trends that have continued since Ghostbusters 2016.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.