Page 12 of 15 [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

WilliamWDelaney
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 8:54 pm

I'm an agnostic heathen. I'll put it that way. As I have said so often, if I had a religion, it would be the old religion, which is that which was practiced by my Old Norse ancestors and that which was practiced by the ancient Sumerians. I see them as one and the same. It would be the religion that was practiced by peoples who walked the Western shores of the Black Sea during the time of Thales of Miletus.

However, I am a humanist.

As for Christianity, the only noble quality I see in the Old Testament is its honesty. It tells us in very plain language how brutal and evil some of the founders of Israel were. It doesn't overly flatter men like King David. It goes farther in telling the ugly, filthy truth than I think any other culture would have the nerve to. However, a religion that was actually based on treating the Old Testament as an example of good moral behavior could only be evil. The only variations of either Judaism, Islam or Christianity that have any worth to society are those that keep the OT in its proper and due place as a valuable historical document that describes part of the history of an ancient people. If anything, Israel's bloody history ought to be a dark warning to us all.

Christianity can have worth if its practitioner behaves with courtesy toward prudence.

NarcissusSavage
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 1:19 am

snapcap wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

But no one can say to have a lack of belief. But babies and rocks can.

Well have fun talking to babies and rocks then

My point is you think that, but when you ask the actual individuals who you have decided about, you disagree because it does not seem to occur to you their minds do not work the same as yours

I don't think it's a wise thing to accept that people have the ability to not come to a stance when exposed to a notion, like they were never exposed to it to begin with. Like an asteroid as the ability to blow through people's houses, but when it comes to yours, it just bounces off, leaving no mark. Or you were in the middle of a great explosion and everyone around you see's destruction and gore, but you still see your surrounding as it was, like it never happened.

A weak atheist's position is one that denies reality.

I wonder if anyone is going to notice that I dumped a bunch of atheists into the lake the other day? 8O

We all know what you think by now. Unfortunately, we also know what you don't think. That, what you are not understanding, is what we are trying to explain to you.

Because people do have the ability to not come to a stance when exposed to a notion. They really do! I do it all the time. Others have claimed the same! You might not have the ability, it certainly seems that you are making the case that you don't. That's fine. Not everyone has the same mental qualities, if you lack the ability to hold a non-belief that's ok.

I don’t think anyone here is trying to tell you that you must learn to hold a non-belief. You can go on believing yes, or believing no, all you want to, and it won't make much difference to anyone else.

But to completely dismiss other peoples thoughts and condemn their position as impossible to have is arrogance, it is ignorant and insulting. You might not like that someone holds a position that you can’t wrap your head around, I get that. Sometimes I get frustrated by "true believers", I know what that is like. But I never tell them they don't actually believe because in my mind that kind of belief isn't possible. I never make the claim that no one is capable of believing something without evidence, because I cannot believe something without evidence.

No, what you are doing when you insult people by saying they are incapable of holding the position they hold is completely uncalled for.

You have provided absolutely no justification for why you feel a non-belief isn't possible. All you've done is just repeat it over and over again and use inapropriate metaphors and analogies that are not applicable to the topic. Bricks, asteroids, lakes etc. If you have a case for why people think they have a non-belief but are somehow mistaken, and you have some new evidence to supply to the discussion about it...by all means please provide it at this time!!

If you are simply confused and want more information about how other people experience the world in their own subject terms, and how each of our realities is necessarily going to be different ones...just ask, and I can find you some good reading material about it...or really anything else that is causing you this sort of confusion. I am happy to help if that's what this is, if you are in need of a good source(s) of information relating to non-beliefs.

But if all you want to do is just fill up post after post of "No, you're wrong about what you think, I know your mind better than you do"...then please just concede that your whole argument is simply your own biased opinion. That way we can just move on to something productive.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 1:28 am

Personally, I find the most astonishing thing about all of this, is that snapcap would have experienced the same attitude he is presenting to us, from other people on a frequent basis.

Most of us here do to our ASD have had other people deny the way we experience the world, and included in that are the conclusions we come to because of it.

Yet here you are going the exact same thing to us. You are flatly denying our experience of the world and the conclusions we come to because of it.

I'm sure you don't like it when other people do it to you, so why are you doing it to us?

That's what I find really sad about all of this.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 1:29 am

Kjas wrote:
Personally, I find the most astonishing thing about all of this, is that snapcap would have experienced the same attitude he is presenting to us, from other people on a frequent basis.

Most of us here do to our ASD have had other people deny the way we experience the world, and included in that are the conclusions we come to because of it.

Yet here you are going the exact same thing to us. You are flatly denying our experience of the world and the conclusions we come to because of it.

I'm sure you don't like it when other people do it to you, so why are you doing it to us?

I agree I really do Snapcap gives me quite the headache too.

NarcissusSavage
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 3:20 am

Kjas wrote:

Exactly this!

I think that's why I am getting a little worked up about this conversation. Denying someone's experience is just not ok to me. It is one of the few things that will get under my skin... I suppose I need to work on not allowing it to affect me. But in the mean time, I try to speak out against it. Whatever form it comes in.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 8:24 am

NarcissusSavage wrote:
Kjas wrote:

Exactly this!

I think that's why I am getting a little worked up about this conversation. Denying someone's experience is just not ok to me. It is one of the few things that will get under my skin... I suppose I need to work on not allowing it to affect me. But in the mean time, I try to speak out against it. Whatever form it comes in.

seconded

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 9:03 am

snapcap wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
snapcap wrote:
Rocky wrote:
I said "position," not belief. A lack of belief can be a position.

Hmm, I think a lack of belief is a non-position.

There we have it, problem solved

But no one can say they have a lack of belief. But babies and rocks can.

*some atheist walks outside and picks up stick*

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

"Even sticks and stones have a spiritual essence, a manifestation of the mysterious power that fills the Universe." -Lakota saying

or don't you believe that?

and how do you know what babies believe?

NarcissusSavage
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 9:25 am

aspi-rant wrote:
snapcap wrote:

The same way he knows what all the rest of us are thinking. He doesn't.

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 9:43 am

:lol:

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 9:55 am

snapcap wrote:
8< - - -

rocks can.

nope. they can't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inyan

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 12:24 pm

NarcissusSavage wrote:
snapcap wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

Because people do have the ability to not come to a stance when exposed to a notion. They really do! I do it all the time. Others have claimed the same!

Then there shouldn't be a problem if I asked you what some are. What are some notions you have no stance towards?

Quote:
You might not have the ability, it certainly seems that you are making the case that you don't. That's fine. Not everyone has the same mental qualities, if you lack the ability to hold a non-belief that's ok.

There is no "ability". You're claiming to have an X-men power. Withholding a position to something that you've been exposed to isn't a mental ability.

Quote:
I don’t think anyone here is trying to tell you that you must learn to hold a non-belief. You can go on believing yes, or believing no, all you want to, and it won't make much difference to anyone else.

I'm not trying to learn a hold a non-belief. How ridiculous is that?

"I'm holding a non-belief, I think? Where did it go? I can't find it."

:lol:

Quote:
But to completely dismiss other peoples thoughts and condemn their position as impossible to have is arrogance, it is ignorant and insulting. You might not like that someone holds a position that you can’t wrap your head around, I get that. Sometimes I get frustrated by "true believers", I know what that is like. But I never tell them they don't actually believe because in my mind that kind of belief isn't possible. I never make the claim that no one is capable of believing something without evidence, because I cannot believe something without evidence.

It's arrogant and ignorant to claim that you have some supernatural powers that allow you to separate yourself from reality, like things can't effect you even in the slightest.

You believe God to be non-existent because there is a lack of evidence for you to consider it to be true. Empiricism is the doctrine of your beliefs.

Quote:
No, what you are doing when you insult people by saying they are incapable of holding the position they hold is completely uncalled for.

They can continue believing it if they want. I'm simply saying it's not true that someone can. Someone can believe that their dog is God, and without any evidence or reason to think that's true(much like the argument here that someone can hold a non-position in something they've been exposed to) they will be mocked for it, but they can still believe it.

Quote:
You have provided absolutely no justification for why you feel a non-belief isn't possible.All you've done is just repeat it over and over again and use inapropriate metaphors and analogies that are not applicable to the topic. Bricks, asteroids, lakes etc. If you have a case for why people think they have a non-belief but are somehow mistaken, and you have some new evidence to supply to the discussion about it...by all means please provide it at this time!!

What has anyone else here produced? Nothing. There's nothing wrong with my analogies and metaphors. VWigg even said she agrees with some of them. I find it silly. My analogy of the asteroid not damaging the house is just like claim of holding a non-position. It's absurd. I had a bowl of atheists for breakfast today, I poured atheist over them. I ate atheists for breakfast, and I'll eat them for lunch and dinner. I'm sitting on an atheist, typing on an atheist, all while wearing nothing my tighest atheist.

Quote:
If you are simply confused and want more information about how other people experience the world in their own subject terms, and how each of our realities is necessarily going to be different ones...just ask, and I can find you some good reading material about it...or really anything else that is causing you this sort of confusion. I am happy to help if that's what this is, if you are in need of a good source(s) of information relating to non-beliefs.

Why not just tell why I'm confused now to save the trouble?

Quote:
But if all you want to do is just fill up post after post of "No, you're wrong about what you think, I know your mind better than you do"...then please just concede that your whole argument is simply your own biased opinion. That way we can just move on to something productive.

Show me that I'm wrong. That's all I ask, and that's all I've wanted to know since I began the discussion on the bottom of page 1 of Shrox's thread about the atheist gathering in D.C.

Last edited by snapcap on 07 Apr 2012, 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 12:28 pm

Kjas wrote:

You may experience the world differently, but you still experience it. Actually, you have no choice but to experience it. Just like you have no choice but to come to a stance on all concepts you come across, not to come to a non-position.

Quote:

I'm not denying your experiences, I'm saying that the only way you can have a non-position is if you don't experience it. 8O

Quote:

I'd consider it and tell them why I believe they are wrong or right.

Last edited by snapcap on 07 Apr 2012, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 12:30 pm

NarcissusSavage wrote:

Exactly this!

Saying that you don't have a position regarding something that was explained to you is like not having it told to you at all.

I'm not denying your experience, you're denying that it happened.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 12:34 pm

NarcissusSavage wrote:
aspi-rant wrote:
snapcap wrote:

The same way he knows what all the rest of us are thinking. He doesn't.

We were all babies once, I don't remember anything as a baby, especially about God.

Anyways, I thought we were in agreement that everyone was born an atheist?

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 12:34 pm

Can anyone here communicate with a rock?

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 12:42 pm

snapcap wrote:
Can anyone here communicate with a rock?

the lakota people certainly believe they can communicate with a rock… it is after all their superior god inyan. the creator who was in existence before the beginning...

can anyone else here communicate with a god?