Page 15 of 19 [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Oct 2020, 8:16 am

Feeling offended by others is not an excuse to intentionally offend them.

If you feel offended by someone's opinion here, communicate it as a fact. PM a moderator if some mediation may be required. Don't offend back - a lot of damage has already come from people striking back after a miscommunication.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

AspiePrincess611
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Oct 2020, 9:39 am

Truly, I feel that the only way to prevent users of this site from offending one another is to remove threads related to politics and controversial issues from the site entirely. If this is meant as a support site, it should be strictly that. I have very strong opinions and obviously other users do also. Arguing over politics serves no beneficial purpose to anyone on this site. It brings out the meanest, ugliest sides of our personality. We say things that are interpreted the wrong way, are exaggerated versions of our true beliefs, and that are hurtful to others, not helpful, although this is normally not the original intent. There are other places online for debating controversial issues. It's very hard to go on this site these days and not have controversial issues in your face. And, at least for me, it's hard to resist the temptation to debate them, although deep down I know this is both harmful and pointless. If I were in charge of this site, there would be no forums for debating politics or religion. I would remove any posts that relate to controversial issues, and "debates" would not be allowed. They almost always get ugly. This is not to "censor" anyone's free speech, I just feel that this site is not the proper place for this type of thing. I really don't blame the users who are leaving because of the hostility. Remove the root cause of the offensive comments and they won't happen at all.

Cooter, The Dukes of Hazzard

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 11:04 am

Members have the option to not come to this part of the forum and they can stay outside the PPR and and News & Current events.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

AspiePrincess611
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Oct 2020, 11:24 am

League_Girl wrote:
Members have the option to not come to this part of the forum and they can stay outside the PPR and and News & Current events.

But forums like this incite the worst behavior in people. "Offensive" can mean different things to different people. We are not supposed to offend people or post things that provoke, but everything about threads such as this one provokes people. Either we need to tolerate all opinions and allow provocation (aside from personal attacks and threats), or we need to take controversial issues off this site. "magz" said that my post offends some of our users, but couldn't THEY simply not visit this part of the site? Others have posted things in this thread that have offended and provoked me immensely. I want to ignore it, but when I go to "view posts since last visit" I see threads like this one and get drawn in. I don't even have to click on the names of these forums. If there were an option to block all politics-related discussions from our view, I would do it. But it's hard to ignore what's right in your face.

Cooter, The Dukes of Hazzard

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 3:01 pm

AspiePrincess611 wrote:
Truly, I feel that the only way to prevent users of this site from offending one another is to remove threads related to politics and controversial issues from the site entirely. If this is meant as a support site, it should be strictly that. I have very strong opinions and obviously other users do also. Arguing over politics serves no beneficial purpose to anyone on this site. It brings out the meanest, ugliest sides of our personality. We say things that are interpreted the wrong way, are exaggerated versions of our true beliefs, and that are hurtful to others, not helpful, although this is normally not the original intent. There are other places online for debating controversial issues. It's very hard to go on this site these days and not have controversial issues in your face. And, at least for me, it's hard to resist the temptation to debate them, although deep down I know this is both harmful and pointless. If I were in charge of this site, there would be no forums for debating politics or religion. I would remove any posts that relate to controversial issues, and "debates" would not be allowed. They almost always get ugly. This is not to "censor" anyone's free speech, I just feel that this site is not the proper place for this type of thing. I really don't blame the users who are leaving because of the hostility. Remove the root cause of the offensive comments and they won't happen at all.

I mostly agree with you on this. I've returned from a long absence and this site seems to have boiled down a lot to those who are the most into controversial contentious debates, and many familiar faces no longer around. It permeates throughout most of the site, as those who are into it the most tend take it all over the forum. I don't know if at this point it can or should be curtailed, or if WP just simply has to be accepted as, it is what it is.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 3:40 pm

AspiePrincess611 wrote:
magz wrote:
AspiePrincess611 wrote:
I'm not concerned with what others think of my opinions.

If you're not concerned with your opinions hurting others, then you may lose your privilege of posting them on WrongPlanet.
I'm serious.

But what about other's opinions hurting me???? If you closely read my entire response, I mentioned that the leftists' beliefs are offensive to me. Why are they allowed to offend me, but I cannot do the same? It seems a little unjust.

Your opinions concern just how much it's acceptable to hurt vulnerable people.

There's no happy medium where senseless violence & plagues are concerned. You might want to examine what Sweden is doing about this.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 4:45 pm

AspiePrincess611 wrote:

It's Not a Matter of Opinion; It's a Matter of Fact
in Science That Masks Save Lives During a Pandemic.

Freedom Does not include the Right to Harm other Folks;

This is why Vaccinations are Required at Schools.

And this is why Masks Are Required where
State and Local Governments Rule the Rules.

And to Be Clear, i surely don't agree with
All the Rules; But as You already make
it Clear, You Don't Care About
Other Folks that much;
i surely don't expect
you to Understand as
Where i Live, So-Called 'Christians'
NoW A Portion of them Who Say they
Respect the Sanctity of Life, Do not
When Entire Rows of a Church Do Not
Wear a Mask Among Elder Folks Wearing
A Mask to Protect them; You've
Already Said You Are not
Worried about those
Elder Lives; There
Surely is Nothing me
or anyone Else Will
Do to 'Make' You
Change Your
Heart on that.

In My Opinion
i do not Agree with
You and in My Opinion
The Law Should Regulate
This in All Cases Where Necessary;

In My County it does not; in the Next
County it does; That's Life; In A Democracy,
The People's Representatives Rule; whether right
or wrong; They Stay or Go Depending on What Folks Vote Next.

Polls now give Donald Trump a 1 in 10 Chance of Success;

The Pandemic is Likely
Not going to 'Enjoy'
The Political Fall-out
of Empathy That Cares about
other Human Beings And Wants
to Save All Life in Sanctity For Real...

Including Keeping The Economy Strong and Open

Where Human Life Counts Most Overall For Real.

You Don't Offend me; No one does in a Personal way
At Church; i am Smart Enough to Keep my Self out of Trouble.

It doesn't help me to Be Personally Offended; but it's true, i do tend

to make change happen too..

We are Apparently
on Different Ends
of A Spectrum
And that's
Okay
With me too...

On the Other Hand,
This is a Place for Support
of the Living; Not a Place For Cruelty of Death in Opinions As
That Affects the Emotions of People Much More Vulnerable than i am here.

Sadly this is not the Rule at The Church, i still Visit as an 'Observer'...

The People Over in the Next Community Are Cooperating to Save each other's LIVES

AND IN doing so With Masks Keeping the Economy Open and Strong too

Just like in Asia

Science Saves Lives;

Ignorance Kills;

Enlightening
True for Those
Who Do See it and Act Accordingly.

Those Folks Are Surely Refreshing in my Life to Be around..

Meh; only 13 Miles Out of that Kind of Ignorance of Science Where i Live.

As Far As Science Goes and Keeping Folks Safe, Healthy, And the Economy Thriving;

this indeed is a Face Palm

Issue,

Forest
Thick
as Thick
As i've Ever Seen
Even Where i Live.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/20 ... -forecast/

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 6:53 pm

AspiePrincess611 wrote:
r This site has become a toxic, leftist-dominated pile of poo anyway.

It is much better than it used to be.
I'd rather you didn't leave due to left-wing abuse.
If you do, they win. :wink:

BTW, magz is one of my favs, has integrity, is very fair-minded and non-partisan. :heart:
I won't say she is one of the most intelligent people on this website.
Oh, dear, I just did. :mrgreen:

magz, as per usual, I expect the cheque to me in the mail, pronto. :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 7:03 pm

AspiePrincess611 wrote:
magz wrote:
AspiePrincess611 wrote:

If you're not concerned with your opinions hurting others, then you may lose your privilege of posting them on WrongPlanet.
I'm serious.

But what about other's opinions hurting me???? If you closely read my entire response, I mentioned that the leftists' beliefs are offensive to me. Why are they allowed to offend me, but I cannot do the same? It seems a little unjust.

In the past, there was a system of double standards, where the right would be censored and the left often got a free pass.
Things have changed significantly.
Both sides need to conform to the rulz now.

If there is a problem, talk to the mods, or report the offensive posts.
PM me for the best mods to communicate with. 8)

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 7:05 pm

Quote:

This kind of selective ignorance is exactly what had me thinking about leaving.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 7:06 pm

Meistersinger wrote:
AspiePrincess611 wrote:
magz wrote:
AspiePrincess611 wrote:

I'm serious.

And what about MY opinion?

You sound exactly like my parents, where they were always right, and everyone else, INCLUDING MYSELF, we’re always wrong!

Ya know what, this site is no longer a support site. I have more than enough problems with paranoia, especially after the abuse I received whenever I’ve asked for help. I’m outta here!

PPR is *not* a support forum.
It is a place for discussions.
You need to go elsewhere. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 7:07 pm

cberg wrote:
Quote:

This kind of selective ignorance is exactly what had me thinking about leaving.

Is this a personal attack? :scratch:

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 7:13 pm

No, it's a reminder that we are not characters on the Pepe show.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 7:19 pm

AspiePrincess611 wrote:

To be clear:
I am a moderate conservative *independent*.
I don't follower partisan dogma.
For instance, I am pro-mask-wearing bigtime. EEP! 8O

Having said that, yes, PPR and "News and current affairs" are known "toxic" forums.
But people have a choice in whether or not they want to enter.
For months I have given both those two forums a miss.
However, now that there is more political egalitarianism on this website, it is safer than it used to be. 8)

My suggestion to you is to study the rulz in detail, to make sure you cover your own arse and hold others to the rule standards. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 7:19 pm

cberg wrote:
No, it's a reminder that we are not characters on the Pepe show.

Sounds like another personal attack to my skunk ears. :scratch:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2020, 7:21 pm

League_Girl wrote:

Yeppers.
Absolutely. :wink: 8)