Is Rising Illegitimacy Necessarily a Problem?

Page 3 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 10:52 am

its irrelevant, some of the countries up there with the higest illegitimacy are also the ones that boast the highest personal freedom and happiness, at least according to the freedom index.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 1:23 pm

If we consider the modern phenomenon known as the "Kardashians": many girls are now aspiring to grow up to be similarly dull, conspicuously vacuous, ostentatiously rich, and to have frequent coital relations with a long series of professional athletes.

I think that at least one of the Kardashians has at least one bastard child. No big deal for her: she can afford it.

For a woman who is not quite as rich as a Kardashian, the trick might be to introduce her ovum to the ejaculant of the man who is likely to provide the highest child-support payments.

Unfortunately, teenagers like Bristol Palin are least likely to think these things through, and often end up on the Welfare rolls.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 1:25 pm

Oodain wrote:
its irrelevant, some of the countries up there with the higest illegitimacy are also the ones that boast the highest personal freedom and happiness, at least according to the freedom index.

How would this be irrelevant? It seems highly relevant. Do high levels of personal freedom and happiness lead to bastardy?

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 1:44 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
Here is a neat little graph

[img][800:571]http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db18_Fig_6.png[/img]

Huge increases in a lot of countries. Japan doubled to 2 percent, but still very low.

And, an interesting article on the decline of fatherhood:

http://www.utne.com/Politics/Decline-Of ... amily.aspx

While some of us seem to be inclined to blame men (as usual), what about the women? Most men are not acting callously. It could be that a lot of women are leaving 80% of the men in the dust to become a part of the harem of the most attractive 20% of men, thereby raising the illegitimacy rate.

As you can see in all country. A trend towards unmarried parents in all country. It is a sign that we are slowly evolved/adapting to an environment where the dads are no long needed for the survival of the child. We also live in an environment where mothers are not need. The children can go into care with a good chance of surviving to adulthood. Since this is a solid trend amongst all developed countries, I think that it is time to accept that it will be a job of the state to take care of children, and future care home will be needed.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 2:08 pm

Aspie_Chav wrote:
As you can see in all country. A trend towards unmarried parents in all country. It is a sign that we are slowly evolved/adapting to an environment where the dads are no long needed for the survival of the child. We also live in an environment where mothers are not need. The children can go into care with a good chance of surviving to adulthood. Since this is a solid trend amongst all developed countries, I think that it is time to accept that it will be a job of the state to take care of children, and future care home will be needed.

Very good point. Except that European culture tends to favour the government taking care of people, whereas American culture doesn't. So, American women have a huge incentive to be selective about whose ejaculant is entering their vaginas whilst they are ovulating.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 2:14 pm

Any more, it seems that the most common definition of "bastard" is a man who is uncouth, ill-mannered, hedonistic, and/or selfish; but not necessarily someone who has any criminal intent.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 2:28 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
Very good point. Except that European culture tends to favour the government taking care of people, whereas American culture doesn't. So, American women have a huge incentive to be selective about whose ejaculant is entering their vaginas whilst they are ovulating.

Is that last sentence at all deadpan?

I assume it's my overreaction that there's any hint of misogyny in all this? The women, with their wandering wombs, ensnaring witless men with their feminine wiles.

Quote:
‘Sometimes the things that look the hardest have the simplest answers,’ Nina Power writes towards the end of her chapbook, One Dimensional Woman. She then hands over to Toni Morrison speaking to Time magazine in 1989. On single-parent households: ‘Two parents can’t raise a child any more than one. You need a whole community … The little nuclear family is a paradigm that just doesn’t work. It doesn’t work for white people or for black people. Why we are hanging onto it I don’t know.’ On ‘unwed teenage pregnancies’: ‘Nature wants it done then, when the body can handle it, not after 40, when the income can … The question is not morality, the question is money. That’s what we’re upset about.’ On how to break the ‘cycle of poverty’, given that ‘you can’t just hand out money’: ‘Why not? Everybody [else] gets everything handed to them … I mean what people take for granted among the middle and upper classes, which is nepotism, the old-boy network. That’s the shared bounty of class.’

What about education? If all these girls spend their teenage years having babies, they won’t be able to become teachers and brain surgeons, not to mention missing out on cheap beer, storecards, halls of residence. To which Morrison, with splendour, rejoins: ‘They can be teachers. They can be brain surgeons. We have to help them become brain surgeons. That’s my job. I want to take them in my arms and say: “Your baby is beautiful and so are you and, honey, you can do it. And when you want to be a brain surgeon, call me – I will take care of your baby.” That’s the attitude you have to have about human life.’

And this, surely, is only the start. It’s obvious – now Power-Morrison has said it – that any politics worth having has to start with the nuclear family: its impossibility, its wastefulness, its historical contingency. Children are the messages a family, a society, a culture, a civilisation, sends into the future, and yet every day there comes more evidence that child-rearing as currently practised among the people with all the choices doesn’t seem to be working out. They overeat, our little messages, they starve themselves, they adore themselves when they’re not indulging in self-harm. They don’t want to study medicine or train as teachers when they can just be ‘in the media’. And this obviousness starts little fires sparking backwards across the decades. There’s Selma James and the strange marginalisation of her ideas, not to mention the way the whole family-in-a-house imago goes unchallenged, even by feminists, lesbian and gay couples, and single-parent campaigners, let alone in government, advertising, the popular media etc.

From this. And I would highly recommend Power's book, too.

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 2:37 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
Aspie_Chav wrote:

It will be less so for every given year.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 3:11 pm

Hopper wrote:
I assume it's my overreaction that there's any hint of misogyny in all this? The women, with their wandering wombs, ensnaring witless men with their feminine wiles.

Misogyny? Heavens, NO!! !

One goal of feminism is for women to have complete control over their reproductive organs, is it not? It shouldn't be wrong for women to use to their best advantage the male desire for access to their reproductive organs.

And men, instead of competing for wives, are competing for access during ovulation.

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 4:10 pm

Well, ok. Glad to hear it.

An, uh, interesting take on it there, though somewhat reductionist for my tastes.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 5:03 pm

Hopper wrote:
Well, ok. Glad to hear it.

An, uh, interesting take on it there, though somewhat reductionist for my tastes.

John Holland wrote:
For the last 400 years science has advanced by reductionism ... The idea is that you could understand the world, all of nature, by examining smaller and smaller pieces of it. When assembled, the small pieces would explain the whole.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 5:32 pm

Oodain wrote:
that is a problem of abuse and there i think we can all agree that there should be a more severe punishment and better tools for persecution.

Prosecution. ;)

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 5:36 pm

I'm not quite sure what Mr Holland is saying, but I think he and I would disagree. Not about the success reductionist thinking has had in many areas, but about 'explain'. It would depend on what he means by 'explain'.

But that's pretty OT.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 6:33 pm

Oodain wrote:
while definately worrying and sad(sick even) that still doesnt hold true for any and all, or even the majority of illegitimate children.

that is a problem of abuse and there i think we can all agree that there should be a more severe punishment and better tools for persecution.

It's one of those "dirty little secrets" of insular communities. Nobody like to admit to it, but quite often it's an uncle or cousin responsible for the abuse. It's kept quiet because nobody wants to get a family member in trouble with the law, not to mention they've become desensitized to it. When it's gone on for several generations, it's not a big deal (to them).

The down side, though, is that it contributes to promiscuity beyond the abusive relationship. With one out-of-wedlock baby born to, say, a 13yo, chances are the girl isn't looking for trouble before she's 18. The teenage years are a pretty narrow window for having babies, but the behavior is likely to resurface once a girl reaches majority age. The behavior is not as likely to even start in the first place if there is a strong, nuclear family structure that closely monitors the activities of its children. It's like those parents who end up on Dr. Phil complaining that they can't just lock the kids in their rooms and take away their car keys...um...yes you CAN! The kind of parents, especially fathers who have spines, who would stay involved in their kids' personal lives are the same kinds of parents who'd call the cops on someone doing something inappropriate with their daughters. If the family continues in a closely supervisory role in their lives into college, it's less likely that they'll begin risky behavior even then (this can obviously backfire--a friend of mine got knocked up soon after beginning college...she was unprepared to handle her newfound freedom because her overbearing mother basically crippled her. She wasn't allowed to make mistakes while under her mother's care, so she was incapable of truly being responsible without someone else making decisions for her. And, too, part of it was just plain ol' rebellion).

The point is while it may very well be that this isn't the majority of cases, it is still a largely unreported one, and this isn't the kind of information you can really get from one-on-one interviews. They don't WANT to know the kids' fathers, don't WANT them involved, and just want the kids for the money. If we knew the reality of it, many of us I think would be surprised at just how extensive this kind of thing really is. I wonder just what statistics we have actually available on it.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 6:57 pm

AngelRho wrote:
It's one of those "dirty little secrets" of insular communities. Nobody like to admit to it, but quite often it's an uncle or cousin responsible for the abuse. It's kept quiet because nobody wants to get a family member in trouble with the law, not to mention they've become desensitized to it. When it's gone on for several generations, it's not a big deal (to them).

I've heard people joke about inbreeding in the South. I didn't think it really happened all that much, though.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/rea ... eliverance

Quote:
In a 1974 paper tactfully entitled "The Geography of Stupidity in the U.S.A.," researcher Nathaniel Weyl notes that the three states having the highest white failure rate on the Armed Forces Qualification Test in 1968 were Kentucky (14.8 percent), Tennessee (14.2 percent), and West Virginia (13.4 percent). Weyl attributes the "abnormally large proportion of white mental defectives in the Appalachian region" to, among other things, "the notoriously high rates of inbreeding among the Appalachian population."

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 7:10 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
Oodain wrote:

How would this be irrelevant? It seems highly relevant. Do high levels of personal freedom and happiness lead to bastardy?

I think in the Scandinavian countries, couples are raising kids together, just not getting married. People aren't religious and don't see the point in marriage. It happens over here, as well.