Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 7:06 pm

auntblabby wrote:
prayers=petitions

And, at times, those petitions are answered.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 7:22 pm

^^^
although [to paraphrase the tart quip of our very own Ruveyn] sometimes it surely seems that god just replies to us, "Fug off." Image

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 7:32 pm

Prayer helps me calm down and focus on the causes of my anxiety and stress, rather that stress out and have a meltdown. There's just something about kneeling down, alone, and in a quiet place to meditate on The Infinite, and how truly insignificant those people are who willfully cause trouble for me.

I guess it beats choking the living snot out of someone; I mean, when was the last time someone received a life sentence in America for reciting The Lord's Prayer?

Of course, with the progress being made on certain liberal groups' anti-Christian agendae, private prayer may soon become a Capital offense.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 1:00 am

Heres a Mythbusters episode demonstrating prayer as well as god existing by kidnapping a terminally ill patient and removing all the equipment keeping her alove from western medicine and only relying on god!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 3:24 am

Fnord wrote:
Prayer helps me calm down and focus on the causes of my anxiety and stress, rather that stress out and have a meltdown. There's just something about kneeling down, alone, and in a quiet place to meditate on The Infinite, and how truly insignificant those people are who willfully cause trouble for me.

I guess it beats choking the living snot out of someone; I mean, when was the last time someone received a life sentence in America for reciting The Lord's Prayer?

Of course, with the progress being made on certain liberal groups' anti-Christian agendae, private prayer may soon become a Capital offense.

It helps me like this too. And I know what you mean about the Thought Police, they'd love to censor people's dreams as well. :roll:

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 6:50 am

AspieOtaku wrote:
Heres a Mythbusters episode demonstrating prayer as well as god existing by kidnapping a terminally ill patient and removing all the equipment keeping her alove from western medicine and only relying on god!

Prayer is a companion to treatment, not replacement.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 7:03 am

Campin_Cat wrote:
Amity wrote:
I think active praying has personal benefits similar to regular meditation.

For me the video describes a rote style of praying, without higher level thought, which as I understand it, is passive prayer. Similar to people who arrive for mass every Sunday, but don't actively live a Christian life.

That's what I call the difference between being a believer, and a follower. I don't feel someone HAS TO go to church, to be a follower----cuz *I* don't go to church, MYSELF, but I'm an avid follower.

I think, sometimes, people are put-off by religion, either because they don't feel free to think how / what they want----and / or, they see these so-called "religious people", NOT doing what they "preach"; and, they think, to themselves: "Why would I want to belong to a group of people, where everybody's such a bunch of LIARS and HYPOCRITES?"

I am a lapsed Catholic. The people who do not actively try to live a life in sync with what is a beautiful message, are not the best types to represent, or promote a faith, and IMO are not an accurate example on which to base an understanding of religion/prayer/etc.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 10:15 am

Campin_Cat wrote:
Kiriae wrote:
I know it since elementary school times.

When I was a kid my grandma told me that if I pray and think of a wish the wish will come true.

I didn't want to bother God with the impossible (as the ability to fly) or something that depended on me (getting good grades at school) so I chose an easy wish: "God, please. Let me fall asleep faster tonight." because I always had trouble falling asleep and I was tired of spending hours in dark room listening to clock ticking every night.

But it never worked.

So I stopped believing in God.

:roll:

Surely, as an adult now, you can see how your WORRYING about getting to sleep, was actually what kept you awake?

No. It wasn't it.
It was being forced to go to bed long before my natural clock ordered so. I still cannot fall asleep for hours if I try to do it before 10PM but if I go to sleep about 1AM it takes just a few minutes and I sleep soundly. No matter how early I wake up (I will wake up at 5AM having 4h of sleep but I still won't fall asleep at 10PM and I will roll in bed till 1AM).

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 11:48 am

mee too. :tired: