Page 3 of 12 [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 2:06 pm

slenkar wrote:
A woman could paint the house and earn more than a man doing childcare
Quite true and brilliant!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 2:19 pm

I'd rather paint a house than do child care,less stress.Id even take less pay to paint the house,small children are a handful.
Anyone that thinks child care is easy has never had a child.
They should get extra pay just for hazards and stress.Young kids will or drink or eat anything,turn your back and they fall out a window,stuff the pets in garbage cans,color on the wall,break things,spread viruses,vomit,pee,poop,scream with high pitched squeals,turn your back and you can't find one of the little devils,doctor appointments,break windows,catch stuff on fire,fall into wells,run out into traffic,and just general mayhem.

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 2:58 pm

Do you know, it's uncanny - the prejudices and injustices that affect me and people like me are rightly of grave concern. The prejudices and injustices purportedly conducted by or on behalf of people I identify with are of historical interest at best, and any attempt to address them or even raise them are in fact the true crime.

How about that!

Anyone else find this pleasant coincidence?

/sarcasm

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 3:10 pm

Thx aspieotaku
Hopper, I think you might be too vague not sure what you are saying.

Childcare is something that doesn't produce easily visible results,

Painting a house ,if done by someone with no experience, looks bad and has to be immediately fixed by a more experienced person.

Childcare can be good or bad too,
usually the parent is poor so they need the lowest price, so you get 'battery farm' style childcare to get the price low enough for a single parent to be able to work.

The real victim of all this is the child , not the person only earning ten dollars per hour and doing lots of hard work.

As long as the child doesn't end up injured the parent can't really complain and demand a refund.

A badly painted house can easily be used to get a refund.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 3:17 pm

Hopper it is not about not addressing inequality.

It is about how they are going about it and if they are targeting that inequality or if they are actually focusing on controlling people.

The figures speak for themselves, self identified feminist have dropped 10% in two years. That is means that women are being alienated by the moment. I can't be a coincidence it coincides with the more radical illiberal events in universities.

This has done a lot of damage to the civil rights movement let alone the women's movement.

100000fireflies
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 3:21 pm

AR15000 wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
...At least the word 'feminism', as it means so many things to so many people these days that it's actually counterproductive to use, as it just leads to endless arguments over the "real" meaning. Further, I think there's a bit of bait and switch going on with the term, as I've increasingly grown to associate it with erosion of free speech and due process, screaming students demanding trigger warnings and safe spaces, everything being interpreted in the least charitable way possible so that it can be labeled "problematic", etc, only to then be told that "feminism simply means treating women like people" when I raise any of these points, usually followed up with an attempt to paint me as sexist.

So, my initial suggestion is that 'feminism' means the whole SJW privilege and micro-aggressions shebang that everyone but the feminists agrees is becoming a problem, while the 'treating women like people' school be split off into Women's Rights Activism/ists, or WRA(S), having a useful symmetry with the way men's rights activism is abbreviated. I'm just talking usage here, not an actual division, as that would be up to the people involved, I just want a quick and easy way to differentiate when talking about this, so that I don't get dogpiled by a bunch of people who think I'm talking about them, when I'm really referring to a specific sub-group, that I don't have to continually clarify.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Hey-hey! Ho-ho! Femin-ism has got to go! :mrgreen:

I read that, using lkl's former example.

AR15000
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Feb 2016, 3:25 pm

LKL wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
"got paid" =/= "earned".

To cite the most obvious example, an unskilled woman working full time as a child care provider will make less than an unskilled man, working the exact same hours, painting houses.
http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes399011.htm
http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes472141.htm

They'll both get home tired, sore, and worn out. The society treats women's work as something that women should just gift to the world, though, rather than as 'work' that takes actual effort.

Well there are some women who actually LIKE kids and find the childcare profession to rewarding even though it's certainly demanding. But you do realize that childcare centers are very reluctant to hire men to do this job because they fear that such men are pedophiles trying to get access to children through their employment.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 3:33 pm

I was going to do a thread on female pedophiles, especially in education. Perception of then, sentencing, etc. It takes me quite a long time to construct these threads so i don't know when I will do it.

100000fireflies
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 3:44 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Hopper it is not about not addressing inequality.

It is about how they are going about it and if they are targeting that inequality or if they are actually focusing on controlling people.

The figures speak for themselves, self identified feminist have dropped 10% in two years. That is means that women are being alienated by the moment. I can't be a coincidence it coincides with the more radical illiberal events in universities.

This has done a lot of damage to the civil rights movement let alone the women's movement.

Those kinds of "facts" 10% of all people who weren't on a do not call list, sit at home at 4pm, etc etc aren't proof of anything.

That said, i don't have any idea what's going on n universities, etc. If i did, from what i hear, i might now have deep disdain for the word, but moreso for them taking a good word, a good human movement and turning it for their own personal crap.

I got to watch things change growing up. Women became doctors to the point that, though still male dominated, it's not uncommon to see one. Lawyers, surgeons, scientists.. And not just gynos or pediatricians. When i was young, mailmen were men. Doctors were men. Dentists etcetcetc. This is changing ---in the western world. And it's awesome ---in the western world. But there are many countries and people that still view women as lesser. And my mother went through being taught that girls can't and shouldn't do math. I got to hear her stories being a sole woman in a male dominated industry. Being one as well, though i think it has improved, i have experienced some very direct and blunt bias myself. Because of people like her grandmother, she had it differently. Because of her, i did. And because of people like me, the world a 20year olds girl is coming into is yet more different.
That doesn't null and void what women have been through. Nor does dramatic progress equal a finite conclusion. Though the way things are going, even having a woman be a serious contender for president, the future looks far better.

However, given the dominant paradigm, there is no such thing as even the notion that boys can't do math. There is not remotely the concept of never having even had a male president in the US, nor if one gets a male surgeon, would it still be somewhat common to have to convince them that he's just as competent as his female peer.
The underlying reminants of male superiority remain - which is why i would say i'm a feminist by my definition. But when/if the west reaches a stasis where that has finally left, e.g. in the next two generations, i would say that i was one, but it's no longer an issue in the west...and would remain one for the many women in the world who remain property.

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 3:50 pm

Yeah modern day feminism is not my thing. But you could argue all day about what the true meaning of feminism is. I don't like to be associated with the word because of its connotation. And I prefer to be just be treated as a human being. That's what we all deserve. I wish people would stop arguing about gender. It's silly, a waste of time and irrational. But that's NTs for you.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 3:56 pm

I raised two kids,so I know the work involved.While I never painted a whole house by myself,I have helped with it.Sure there's work scraping old paint,masking off the trim but it's not as stressful as childcare.Unless there are wasp nests lol
Now drywall,ugh.But I'd still do it for less pay then watch a pack of screaming kids.Maybe I just don't like kids much haha.Think of all the snotty noses and butts you have to wipe.

100000fireflies
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 3:57 pm

Hopper wrote:
Do you know, it's uncanny - the prejudices and injustices that affect me and people like me are rightly of grave concern. The prejudices and injustices purportedly conducted by or on behalf of people I identify with are of historical interest at best, and any attempt to address them or even raise them are in fact the true crime.

How about that!

Anyone else find this pleasant coincidence?

/sarcasm

Well said; as always.
But remember, history has no relevance today. Me, now, and here are all there is.

100000fireflies
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 3:58 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I raised two kids,so I know the work involved.While I never painted a whole house by myself,I have helped with it.Sure there's work scraping old paint,masking off the trim but it's not as stressful as childcare.Unless there are wasp nests lol
Now drywall,ugh.But I'd still do it for less pay then watch a pack of screaming kids.Maybe I just don't like kids much haha.Think of all the snotty noses and butts you have to wipe.

The screaming. And screaming. And screaming. Htting notes that leave you checking windows for cracks.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 7:56 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Painting is not completely unskilled. Anyone can put a coat on pain on, but to do it well that is different matter. There is actually quite a bit of knowledge involved.

The same is true of child care. In California it requires a degree.
Quote:
It is not simply a question of demand, it is a question of what people are willing to pay or could pay.

Yes. And people are willing to pay women less. They expect to pay women less for the same level of work.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 7:59 pm

adifferentname wrote:
So child care providers are making the wrong choice.

Somebody has to do it.
Quote:
Your problem here is not one of gender, it's your valuation of surrogate child-rearing.

That would be the case if child care and painting were the only examples. Across the board, however, jobs that are socially gendered as 'female' are traditionally paid less than jobs that are socially gendered as 'male' for the same amount of training and/or personal danger invested.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 8:00 pm

One parent should stay at home, and women are generally better at looking after the children. If I was a boss of a big company where a woman could take a years maternity leave, i'd rather employ a man.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"