What religions accept people with Asperger's Syndrome?

Page 3 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 5:25 pm

It’s actually pretty hard to convert to Judaism.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 5:31 pm

Yes thats a hard one to convert to.

But I doubt that being aspie effects conversion to Judaism one way or the other.

Whale_Tuune
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 6:13 pm

Eh. Zoroastrianism is practically impossible to convert into. Hinduism, it varies due to the varied nature of "Hinduism" (which itself is basically a construct of British imperialism).

EDIT: Didn't Jonah preach to the people of Nineveh?

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 6:42 pm

when had a accident that resulted in me having to be hospitalized , an entire group of my friends in my age group , in my teens , that we had a christain faith based , born again group .
completely disowned me in entirety , based on the accident and was not aware of my autism either.
Until after visiting me in the hospital in the following weeks and was far beyond my ability to mask
or do much of anything , And never was , in contact me with me again .
this was just my experience in these kinda situations . It did feel as though this was caused by their opinion of god punishing me for something . Still never figured out what that was.

where ever you go ,there you are

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 7:55 pm

^Religion sometimes brings out the stupid in people....

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 8:50 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It’s actually pretty hard to convert to Judaism.

Yes,but, actually a lot of people are doing it.
It's not getting the converts Christianity or Islam gets but quite a few people are doing it.

Whale_Tuune
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2020, 12:24 pm

Jakki wrote:
when had a accident that resulted in me having to be hospitalized , an entire group of my friends in my age group , in my teens , that we had a christain faith based , born again group .
completely disowned me in entirety , based on the accident and was not aware of my autism either.
Until after visiting me in the hospital in the following weeks and was far beyond my ability to mask
this was just my experience in these kinda situations . It did feel as though this was caused by their opinion of god punishing me for something . Still never figured out what that was.

Very un-Christian of them. Christ tells us these people will exist and He will judge them on the final day.

I'm so sorry for what happened to you. Neurotypicals as a whole seem to think that it's okay to discard us.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2020, 12:42 pm

Could Yechezkel/Ezekiel have been an aspie,think about the writing style?

Whale_Tuune
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2020, 12:52 pm

Can you elaborate?

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2020, 1:25 pm

Whale_Tuune wrote:
Can you elaborate?

I don't have anything profound, I was just throwing the idea out.

Look at the book of Yechezkel/Ezekiel
He seems a bit aspie maybe,just a thought.
It could be because he was from the country side not Jerusalem like the other prophets.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2020, 1:35 pm

Whale_Tuune wrote:
Jakki wrote:

Very un-Christian of them. Christ tells us these people will exist and He will judge them on the final day.

I'm so sorry for what happened to you. Neurotypicals as a whole seem to think that it's okay to discard us.

just wanted to say thank you .

where ever you go ,there you are

Whale_Tuune
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2020, 4:39 pm

No need to thank me. None of us here on WP are strangers to feelings of rejection. Hugs for you.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2020, 5:46 pm

Buddhism has a style that seems particularly beneficial for Aspies. A lot of focus on meditation and mindfulness, plus a logic that sometimes veers towards utilitarianism. Buddhism is generally supportive, and all about personal growth rather than threats of damnation and guilt trips. Reflect, learn from your successes and failures (for both are equally useful), and move on.

Of all the Christian groups I would trust the Quakers the most. Actually, I'd probably only trust the Quakers. Very liberal and accepting, no focus on money or power, but perhaps a little too vague and open ended for some Aspies? There's deliberately not much ceremony or structure. Some find this bewildering.

Otherwise it's the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster all the way, brothers and sisters. Can I get a "Ramen"?

Whale_Tuune
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2020, 6:02 pm

Christianity is not about damnation and guilt trips...

Heaven and Hell are states of loving or hating what God stands for while in His presence. It reflects our own personal transformation, not God punishing us.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2020, 6:32 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
Whale_Tuune wrote:
Can you elaborate?

I don't have anything profound, I was just throwing the idea out.

Look at the book of Yechezkel/Ezekiel
He seems a bit aspie maybe,just a thought.
It could be because he was from the country side not Jerusalem like the other prophets.

"Look at the book of Yechezkel/Ezekiel
He seems a bit aspie maybe, just a thought.
It could be because he was from the country side not Jerusalem like the other prophets"

Coming Out of Winn Dixie (A Grocery Store) Last Week After About 3 Hours Total Spent
There and At Walmart in Moving Meditation of Public Dance for Around 10 Miles or so
of Indoor Ecstatic Autotelic Flowing Dance; Really Feeling Super Great Coming Out
of the Store; i Turned to the Left and Saw Clouds Across the Field of the Catholic
Church i Visit Each Sunday; and Associated Buildings on the Grounds of
the Parish Organization; And i must Say it reminded me
of "The Vision of God, Chapter 1 by Prophet Ezekiel"
As This is Part of the Bible Folks often interpret as
'Evidence' For ExtraTerrestrials Visiting the Earth
During the Days these Verses Were Written;
But of course it's not hard to see; that the Book
of Revelation Follows the Same General Style as
Whoever Edited the Entire Book Probably flavored it
that way for some Integral Story Consistency for the 'Full Poetry of the Bible'
then; As of Course, it is a Book Assembling Many Fragments of Writings Over Years;
And Numbered Verses Many, Many Centuries later moving into the 1300's with many
Scribe And Other Editing Changes in Mistakes/Revisions all along the way; It's 'Safe'
to See, Whoever wrote this had a Rich Imagination, Bringing Visual Imagery When
Reading the Lines; of course, the Lines may be interpreted in unlimited ways;
As that is always the way with Art of Poetry And or Poetry of Art; However,
one may wish to View it; i think it's interesting Poetry and surely Artistically
Original When it was Written; But it does lend a bit of nuance
That the Book of Revelation plagiarized the style a bit in
Editing, Perhaps; of course, there is no way to really
know; Just like there is no way to really know what
the Writer of the Words Intends/Means; as 'They'
are not here to Decipher the Metaphors as is;
Whoever Wrote this story then has a Rich And
Healthy Imagination; of course, there isn't 'one
'Style' of So-Called Aspie Now; if this Internet Site
doesn't prove that; i'm not sure what else can and
will; As Diverse in the Stars in the Skies And Beyond
in Imagination for Folks on the Spectrum; Yes, Who are
Indeed Rich in Imagination and Creating Imagery in Art..:)

CHAPTER 1
The Vision of God

1 Now it came to pass in the thirtieth year, in the fourth month, in the fifth day of the month, as I was among the captives by the river of Chebar, that the heavens were opened, and I saw visions of God. 2 In the fifth day of the month, which was the fifth year of king Jehoiachin's captivity, 3: The word of the LORD came expressly unto Ezekiel the priest, the son of Buzi, in the land of the Chaldeans by the river Chebar; and the hand of the LORD was there upon him.

4 And I looked, and, behold, a whirlwind came out of the north, a great cloud, and a fire infolding itself, and a brightness was about it, and out of the midst thereof as the colour of amber, out of the midst of the fire. 5 Also out of the midst thereof came the likeness of four living creatures. And this was their appearance; they had the likeness of a man. 6 And every one had four faces, and every one had four wings. 7 And their feet were straight feet; and the sole of their feet was like the sole of a calf's foot: and they sparkled like the colour of burnished brass.

8 And they had the hands of a man under their wings on their four sides; and they four had their faces and their wings. 9 Their wings were joined one to another; they turned not when they went; they went every one straight forward.

10 As for the likeness of their faces, they four had the face of a man, and the face of a lion, on the right side: and they four had the face of an ox on the left side; they four also had the face of an eagle. 11 Thus were their faces: and their wings were stretched upward; two wings of every one were joined one to another, and two covered their bodies. 12 And they went every one straight forward: whither the spirit was to go, they went; and they turned not when they went. 13 As for the likeness of the living creatures, their appearance was like burning coals of fire, and like the appearance of lamps: it went up and down among the living creatures; and the fire was bright, and out of the fire went forth lightning. 14 And the living creatures ran and returned as the appearance of a flash of lightning.

15 Now as I beheld the living creatures, behold one wheel upon the earth by the living creatures, with his four faces. 16 The appearance of the wheels and their work was like unto the colour of a beryl: and they four had one likeness: and their appearance and their work was as it were a wheel in the middle of a wheel. 17 When they went, they went upon their four sides: and they turned not when they went. 18 As for their rings, they were so high that they were dreadful; and their rings were full of eyes round about them four. 19 And when the living creatures went, the wheels went by them: and when the living creatures were lifted up from the earth, the wheels were lifted up. 20 Whithersoever the spirit was to go, they went, thither was their spirit to go; and the wheels were lifted up over against them: for the spirit of the living creature was in the wheels. 21 When those went, these went; and when those stood, these stood; and when those were lifted up from the earth, the wheels were lifted up over against them: for the spirit of the living creature was in the wheels.

22 And the likeness of the firmament upon the heads of the living creature was as the colour of the terrible crystal, stretched forth over their heads above. 23 And under the firmament were their wings straight, the one toward the other: every one had two, which covered on this side, and every one had two, which covered on that side, their bodies. 24 And when they went, I heard the noise of their wings, like the noise of great waters, as the voice of the Almighty, the voice of speech, as the noise of an host: when they stood, they let down their wings. 25 And there was a voice from the firmament that was over their heads, when they stood, and had let down their wings.

26 And above the firmament that was over their heads was the likeness of a throne, as the appearance of a sapphire stone: and upon the likeness of the throne was the likeness as the appearance of a man above upon it. 27 And I saw as the colour of amber, as the appearance of fire round about within it, from the appearance of his loins even upward, and from the appearance of his loins even downward, I saw as it were the appearance of fire, and it had brightness round about. 28 As the appearance of the bow that is in the cloud in the day of rain, so was the appearance of the brightness round about. This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the LORD. And when I saw it, I fell upon my face, and I heard a voice of one that spake.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2020, 6:57 pm

Whale_Tuune wrote:
Christianity is not about damnation and guilt trips...

Heaven and Hell are states of loving or hating what God stands for while in His presence. It reflects our own personal transformation, not God punishing us.

Historical evidence isn't really on your side with that one. Religion has always been largely about wealth, power and control. In the main that means supporting the status quo by underwriting the existing power structure and rubbishing any cries for change. Christianity is no exception. Imperialism, racism, sexism, homophobia, slavery etc. etc. have all been fiercely defended by the Church.

The Quakers do a better job of avoiding those (apparently non-existent) pitfalls than all the other Christian groups I can think of. Their attitude is, it is up to you to navigate a path through all the inherent contradictions in the Bible, through discussion and contemplation, in order to build your own harmonious relationship with God. Rather than being told what to believe.

So if, for example, you choose to believe that the good Samaritan story, throwing the money lenders out of the Temple, and abandoning material wealth were all far more important lessons than whether wives should be perpetually silent and subservient, whether mixed fibres should be worn, or whether men should lie down with other men, well that's fair enough.

Most Christian leaders (especially in the US) would be thinking "anti-capitalist, anti-establishment, left wing, dark skinned, middle Eastern revolutionary hippie" about those particular lessons from Jesus, and they'd be right. And the main reason they'd be throwing those terms around AGAINST such thinking in the modern age, is because poor people with perceptive minds aren't blindly obedient and don't generally fund Lear jets for hypocrites.

"Ideological State Apparatuses (ISA), according to Althusser, use methods other than physical violence to achieve the same objectives as Repressive State Apparatuses (RSA). They may include educational institutions (e.g. schools), media outlets, churches, social and sports clubs and the family. These formations are ostensibly apolitical and part of civil society, rather than a formal part of the state (i.e. as is the case in an RSA). In terms of psychology they could be described as psychosocial, because they aim to inculcate ways of seeing and evaluating things, events and class relations. Instead of expressing and imposing order through violent repression, ISA disseminate ideologies that reinforce the control of a dominant class. People tend to be co-opted by fear of social rejection, e.g. ostracisation, ridicule and isolation. In Althusser's view, a social class cannot hold state power unless, and until, it simultaneously exercises hegemony (domination) over and through ISA."

So Christianity is potentially revolutionary but in practice has been manipulated over time to be permanently and almost uniformly repressive.