Page 3 of 7 [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 1:55 pm

KitLily wrote:
Honey69 wrote:
"Woke" has become a mere smear term deployed by right-wing nutjobs against anyone who isn't a right-wing nutjob.

Yes, the same as PC.

Amusing isn't it. Originally it was the Left's term which meant "realise all your problems are due to white people".

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 2:09 pm

Mikah wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Honey69 wrote:
"Woke" has become a mere smear term deployed by right-wing nutjobs against anyone who isn't a right-wing nutjob.

Yes, the same as PC.

Amusing isn't it. Originally it was the Left's term which meant "realise all your problems are due to white people".

Originally Woke meant 'aware, especially of social problems such as racism and inequality'

I'm not sure how that became a bad thing but it's been twisted in all sorts of ways :shrug:

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 2:11 pm

Mikah wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Honey69 wrote:

Yes, the same as PC.

No actually it originally meant "Alert to and concerned about social injustice and discrimination." until it got corrupted and misapplied to the point of losing its real meaning.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 2:20 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
When I rant against woke Hollywood, I'm talking about rainbow capitalism and the trends that have continued since Ghostbusters 2016.

So basically, when you rant against woke Hollywood, you're ranting against Hollywood pretending to be woke?

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 2:21 pm

KitLily wrote:
aware, especially of social problems such as racism and inequality

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Alert to and concerned about social injustice and discrimination

Mikah wrote:
realise all your problems are due to white people

Yeah, that's what I said. :D

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 2:26 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:
When I rant against woke Hollywood, I'm talking about rainbow capitalism and the trends that have continued since Ghostbusters 2016.

So basically, when you rant against woke Hollywood, you're ranting against Hollywood pretending to be woke?

That was pretending?

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 2:28 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:

That was pretending?

Yes, the performative s**t Hollywood does to appear to care about social justice is pretending, given how little they seem to care about social justice in practice.

It's not unlike a church talking about compassion for the poor before turning around and spending donations on some new trinkets instead of charity.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 2:35 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:

That was pretending?

Yes, the performative s**t Hollywood does to appear to care about social justice is pretending, given how little they seem to care about social justice in practice.

It's not unlike a church talking about compassion for the poor before turning around and spending donations on some new trinkets instead of charity.

Exxxxactly what I was trying to point out in my first post. :wtg:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 2:48 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:

Hollywood hasn't really come that far since the era of Ghostbusters and The Craft. They've just added more window dressing.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 3:06 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

Hollywood hasn't really come that far since the era of Ghostbusters and The Craft. They've just added more window dressing.

I agree, and like I said in another post this new trend of "blackwashing" white characters and historic figures is really just another form of racism (and as expected it's mostly white leftists who don't seem to understand why it offends some people of color and get defensive about this).

Here's a rather intelligent Reddit discussion I found about the issue. I like how one user wrote that this annoying trend pretty much ignores the rich history and culture of non-European or colonial cultures by making everything Euro-centric in a way.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rants/comments ... nd_racist/

Not even just in regards to Africa but to Asia and the indigenous cultures of the Americas too.

I also agree that Europeans have their own rich culture and I don't approve of trying to ruin the good things about the Europeans.

Last edited by DeathFlowerKing on 09 Mar 2023, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 3:13 pm

Ok so maybe that discussion wasn't as "intelligent" as I originally thought. There were a couple of good points brought up followed by just a bunch of trolling and mudslinging.

I guess I really do need to quit reading Reddit. :oops:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 3:19 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Ok so maybe that discussion wasn't as "intelligent" as I originally thought. There were a couple of good points brought up followed by just a bunch of trolling and mudslinging.

I run into this a lot. You remember a discussion as being way better, just because your brain filtered the crap out and just remembered the good parts.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 3:22 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

I run into this a lot. You remember a discussion as being way better, just because your brain filtered the crap out and just remembered the good parts.

Yes... funny how the brain does this. :lol: :oops:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 4:03 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

It's the same way nostalgia works.

But, think about it. You've probably met grievance collectors before, people who never let go of a negative experience with others; now imagine if that was how the average person dealt with every negative emotion experience. We wouldn't exist as a species because our ancestors would have killed themselves (and each other) way more often.

Negative emotional experiences losing intensity over time is a survival mechanism. Filtering out what we don't like and focusing on what we do really seems to be a useful skill just in order to make life bearable.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 4:29 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

It's the same way nostalgia works.

But, think about it. You've probably met grievance collectors before, people who never let go of a negative experience with others; now imagine if that was how the average person dealt with every negative emotion experience. We wouldn't exist as a species because our ancestors would have killed themselves (and each other) way more often.

Negative emotional experiences losing intensity over time is a survival mechanism. Filtering out what we don't like and focusing on what we do really seems to be a useful skill just in order to make life bearable.

That makes a lot of sense. :) it's the same with movies and TV shows. People remember fondly the ones that are good and filter out of memory the ones that are not so good.

Then there's the issue of movies that had themes that were acceptable back in the day but are understandably regarded as controversial and offensive in today's world. Like Gone With the Wind (romantasizing slavery in the south) or High Plains Drifter (the rape scene in which Clint Eastwood joked about the woman "taking so long to get mad").

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 4:31 pm

Mikah wrote:
KitLily wrote:
aware, especially of social problems such as racism and inequality

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Alert to and concerned about social injustice and discrimination

Mikah wrote:
realise all your problems are due to white people

Yeah, that's what I said. :D

Except reducing it to 'all your problems are due to white people' is a gross oversimplification.

One would still have problems no matter what their background is.

Institutional racism can add additional problems, or act as a multiplier when it comes to more generic problems.

Some of one's problems might stem from inter-generational trauma, social injustice is often at the core of those traumas, whether it's classism, racism, sexism, etc.

If I had to answer the question of why my mom's side of the family is so messed up; the fact that there's multiple generations of women who were teenage moms, who may or may not have been coerced, and how that experience impacted their family dynamics is a big part of it.

And since they're all white people, that's undeniably white people's fault. :lol:

But, recognizing that sometimes factors outside of one's control might be contributing to one's struggles isn't the same as blaming others for one's struggles. At most it's accepting that one's best efforts might not be enough to overcome certain barriers.

This is reasonable. I've made peace with the fact that I'm never going to be a Hooters girl, there's certain barriers that I'm unlikely to overcome.