Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 12:48 am

Good posts, TheLemonSquish!

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 12:52 am

My point is, State execution of "undesirables" is not the answer to anything. It just establishes a tyranny of the state. It may have worked in the medieval European theocracy, but not today.

The Free World is where we all have the liberty to discuss most of what we think and feel.

TheLemonSquish
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Aug 2008, 12:54 am

Thanks. I try. There's just so much vitriolic banter. It started as just a question requesting clarification, and it conflagrated into this "I hate you THIS much <-----(>.<)-----> " thread. I just hate that. There's no call for it. I don't hate any of you. Hell, I hardly even know you. What grounds do I have to judge you or hate you or tell you you're headed to Hell, or for that matter, that Hell even exists? lol Let's just enjoy each other's company, and try not to make fools of ourselves. Frankly, I think that's an amiable challenge in and of itself. ^.^;

TheLemonSquish

29 Aug 2008, 12:57 am

Now there, I agree with you whole-heartedly. Two wrongs have never made a right, and who is the government or Church to say if you deserve the basic human right to life?

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 1:02 am

TheLemonSquish wrote:
who is the government or Church to say if you deserve the basic human right to life?

Technically, in Christian dogma, no church has the authority to judge other people. Only God reserves that authority.

TheLemonSquish

29 Aug 2008, 1:12 am

All the more reason to dissent to Capital Punishment, though. Who are we to assume we know how a God is judging someone, and assume we have the authority to carry out His wishes? Whether or not He has judges then to be worthy or not, it is not our desicion to make. Like you said, He will judge them when that time comes, and no sooner because of Church or State.

TheLemonSquish

29 Aug 2008, 1:14 am

Gah. I need to be more careful when writing. "Judged them", not "judges then".

chever
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 1:16 am

What about how God hates queers

Can we execute them?

TheLemonSquish

29 Aug 2008, 1:23 am

8O ...Are you serious? Or are you just being funny??

z0rp
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 1:38 am

Vexcalibur wrote:
What if the time machine actually showed Jesus? You would say it is an evil Christian conspiracy, if you feel offended by how this statement underestimates your intelligence, please think twice before making that sort of statement next time.

But really... what if the time machine actually showed Jesus, He is a historical figure, you know... Whether he was a prophet or the son of God or a guy who said a lot of things is up to everyone to decide, but denying he existed would pretty much be the same as denying the existence of any other figure for which we have records of. Not too may people seem to care enough about denying Cleopatra's existence even though she used to present herself as the incarnation of Isis. You know, the fact that Cleopatra existed doesn't mean she was Isis or that Isis existed. So, you don't actually need to begin denying the existence of historical figures! It is not necessary! Let atheists regain some credibility and stop doing these sort of thing that they didn't need to do anyway...

You know, I am getting quite scared by this new world in which the Atheist is as irrational as the Christian, unfortunately that's the conclussion I got after seeing so many forums' discussions about this topic.

If the Time Machine found Jesus and everything was true I'd convert to a Christian obviously, I only don't believe because it's lacking the proof required for me to believe therefore to believe I'd have to have 'faith' in the belief which I'd never put faith in such a stupid system. Regardless the evidence for Jesus not existing would in my opinion be the lack of evidence. Don't you find it odd that this wonderful man with twelve deciples who traveled around performing miracles was not recorded at all except in the bible, and there's no other text that writes about a similar figure? Or any solid evidence? There's no proof he existed at all which is why I don't think he did, it's rational.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 1:56 am

If there was a guy who told people to behave themselves and walked on water and raised the dead and produced infinite edibles the conclusion that he was a relation to a god is perhaps what he might have wanted to get people to do as he asked, but there are other conclusions possible. Maybe he was hiding his tentacles under his clothes and his buddies in the mothership in orbit were just waiting to beam him up after three days in the cave. Of course, that's only one possibility amongst many.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 1:57 am

TheLemonSquish wrote:
8O ...Are you serious? Or are you just being funny??

Yeah I think he was being funny...

Fred Phelps is anti-everything anyway... he thinks that only he and his church (Westboro Baptist Church) will be saved. He's also one of the few people to be derided by Fox News for being "too conservative"...

TheLemonSquish

29 Aug 2008, 1:57 am

lol...
"Fox Noise. We Distort, You Decide."

TheLemonSquish

29 Aug 2008, 2:05 am

Don't get me wrong. I don't have anything against Fox, but I think they need to get their s**t straight before they tell the world about it. Television is an Idiot Box anyway. Regardless, I've heard about Westboro Baptist Church. The tiny handful of worthy individuals. Frankly, I think there are a lot of people who proclaim Christianity and yet fail to be civil to one another because of religious differences. I mean, I might have been raised Catholic, but I don't have the Catechism memorised. Even so, I know enough to say with fair certainty that Jesus did not tell us to hate everyone who doesn't think like we do. Just because they may very well be hellbound does not give us a reason to put them on the "Hellevator" ourselves.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 2:10 am

Since God knows everything, past, present, and future, these hellbound individuals are obviously prepackaged gifts to the demons down there to keep them happy at their work. No sense to waste any emotion on them.