Page 3 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 12:46 pm

ladyinred.... in fact animal DO 'wars' , just do some researches and you'll find out that so many species perform murders, infanticides , massacres for territories. It's a myth that only humans call each others.

I am atheist ex-muslim and I have to agree with Ragtime in his comparison of Mohamad's teachings vs Jesus' teachings (if they ever existed) , Islam is the bloodiest religion ever created since the Maya civilization.

Yes, religious Muslim people here were happy about 9/11, there were even mini-celebrations in some places.

I even witnessed muslims who had the attitude "it's ok that they died ,because they are kuffar" about the Tsunami disaster and other earthquakes disasters in non-Muslim countries. Their sense of humanity is only limited to the Muslims.

I live in a country where the Christian population is about 30%, so I am in a daily contact with both communities and I must admit that Christians are far more tolerant , even toward atheists.

Islam is sick , it deserves the title of the 'bloodiest religion'.

Christianity is sick too , but less sick. Christianity deserves the title of the 'most hypocrite' religion, because while it promotes love in on book , it promotes death and intolerance in another book.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 12:57 pm

Quote:
Islam is the bloodiest religion ever created since the Maya civilization.

I didn't know the 'Maya Civilization' was a religion.

But I think you might refer to the crazy stuff the Aztecs practiced.

"Never trust an Aztec with nukes", as the saying goes. :wink:

Last edited by Henriksson on 28 May 2009, 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 1:03 pm

ISO: source

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 1:23 pm

Henriksson wrote:
Quote:

No, it's not, I was referring to the Mayan religion though.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 1:27 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:
Henriksson wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
The Maya are a native Mesoamerican people who developed one of the most sophisticated cultures in the Western Hemisphere before the arrival of the Spanish.

Mayan religion was characterized by the worship of nature gods (especially the gods of sun, rain and corn), a priestly class, the importance of astronomy and astrology, rituals of human sacrifice, and the building of elaborate pyramidical temples.

Some aspects of Mayan religion survive today among the Mayan Indians of Mexico and Central America, who practice a combination of traditional religion and Roman Catholicism.

Sure, they were a bunch of goonies who sacrificed humans, but aren't there a lot of religions like that?

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 1:36 pm

Henriksson wrote:
LePetitPrince wrote:
Henriksson wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
The Maya are a native Mesoamerican people who developed one of the most sophisticated cultures in the Western Hemisphere before the arrival of the Spanish.

Mayan religion was characterized by the worship of nature gods (especially the gods of sun, rain and corn), a priestly class, the importance of astronomy and astrology, rituals of human sacrifice, and the building of elaborate pyramidical temples.

Some aspects of Mayan religion survive today among the Mayan Indians of Mexico and Central America, who practice a combination of traditional religion and Roman Catholicism.

Sure, they were a bunch of goonies who sacrificed humans, but aren't there a lot of religions like that?

Yeah, there were , like the Canaanite religion.

Hail for Bhaal!

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 1:45 pm

ladyinred wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
ladyinred wrote:
:roll:

Wouldn't life just be a lot more simple without any religion.

Actually, I think humans are biologically programmed to pursue religion in some form. Not necessarily organized, official religions, but at the very least some kind of belief system with religious characteristics. If we humans don't believe in something greater than ourselves, we lose our sense of purpose, and of perspective, and that's vastly detrimental to anyone's life.

No. I think religion is what actually screws us up. Animals get on fine, just acting on instinct, its when we think too much that we f**k things up.

In what sense do animals get on fine just acting on instinct? Have you ever watched a nature show? It's all predator vs. prey in brutal, flesh-tearing carnage. And they never improve their circumstances as mankind has. And the reason for that is animals' lack of an intellect.

ladyinred wrote:
Considering its religion thats causing all the wars in the world, I think we could do just fine without it.

Except that it's not religion that causes all the wars, it's 1. religions that preach constant war and killing like Islam, and it's 2. mankind's natural lust for power. When power-mad dictators go crazy killing their own and/or other peoples, war is sometimes needed to defeat and remove them. It is a fact that Hitler was poised to take over the world, and would have done so, were he not powerfully militarily opposed. That said, religions that teach peace, like Christianity and Judaism, are our best antidote against unnecessary war.

ladyinred wrote:
People feel like there has to be something greater than ourselves, cause they have no self control.

No, it's because they know they're tiny, in comparison with the rest of the universe.
Knowing that there is something greater than yourself is being sane. Otherwise, you're just a solipcist with your head in the sand, content with staying ignorant of reality.

ladyinred wrote:
If you can be a decent and honest person in life, without being brainwashed by a book, you should feel proud.

Fine, but if I asked you to give me the exact definitions of the words "decent" and "honest", where would you go? To a book, a dictionary. So, common texts that we can all refer to are good things.

Last edited by Ragtime on 28 May 2009, 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 1:58 pm

MattShizzle wrote:
What about the Buybull passages that do encourage people to kill?

http://www.evilbible.com/Murder.htm

Why should I answer you? You're clearly not interested in learning about the "Buybull".

But for those who might be interested, note that the New Testament never advocates killing. Not once.
As for the Old Testament, aside from the fact that the killing incidents all occurred thousands of years ago and under a different covenenant, never was it written in the Bible, as it is in the Qu'ran, that all non-believers everywhere should be killed. No, each specific instance in the Bible where God commanded killing was its own case with His own specific reasons. Strictly speaking, God has the preroggative of taking life, and of ordering His followers to do so; He, after all, is the giver of all life, so it is also His to take.

SamAckary
Toucan
Toucan

28 May 2009, 2:03 pm

Ragtime, I must disagree with your points slightly:
I realise that yes Islam is most likely the bloodiest of religions, but I would not exempt certain religions as 'peaceful' because it is not true, I mean you can't say that Christianity is the best for peace, I mean look at their record, not particularly blood-free, even though Jesus had great teachings and very wise and honourable worldviews. I'm an Atheist, and I still live life with a purpose, even though I don't have any superior being, are you saying I don't live properly because I lack a fictional entity as a belief system? Because honestly, the very thing that inspires me to do better and to keep thinking and working is humanity, I keep thinking how glorious humans can become with effort and unity, not through division because of foolish primordial beliefs that are of little use in a modern age.

I see what you mean that humans must realise there is something better, but that does not automatically signify the god of classical theism, because there could always be more evolved aliens or more advanced aliens that can rip black holes open or crush stars, who could have evolved 2 billion years before we even managed to create fires. I agree everyone needs a purpose, but religion should not be it. You should live for the glorious technology of your species, not because of the desire to prove yourself to some fictional entity.

MattShizzle
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 2:08 pm

I can't remember the exact wording but there is a passage where jesus said to gather those who don't follow him and burn them - which was used when they burned people at the stake.

Quote:
Strictly speaking, God has the preroggative of taking life, and of ordering His followers to do so; He, after all, is the giver of all life, so it is also His to take.

That is just plain crazy and the thinking of a fanatic.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 2:30 pm

SamAckary wrote:
I realise that yes Islam is most likely the bloodiest of religions, but I would not exempt certain religions as 'peaceful' because it is not true, I mean you can't say that Christianity is the best for peace, I mean look at their record, not particularly blood-free, even though Jesus had great teachings and very wise and honourable worldviews.

A religion is defined by its teachings, which are its holy texts. (I had a nicely written-out reply, but I accidentally closed the window and lost it all.) To sum up what I wrote earlier that got erased, Christians fall short of emulating Christ more than Muslims fall short of emulating Mohamed because Christ is a higher standard, not because Christians are worse-behaved. It's easier to go kill some people that aren't like you, as the Qu'ran dictates, than to examine your own heart and constantly, wilfully struggle against your own bad impulses, as Christ taught His followers, knowing that you will never fully achieve that goal. The Jews also have an easier time upholding their religion than Christians do: if practicing Jews carry out the specific, purely physical acts that their particular rabbis tell them, meticulous though those acts can be, then they're in perfect standing religiously. But the standard Christ set was moral perfection -- a standard that cannot be reached by humans. So in Christianity, the standard is what followers must work toward, rather than something that can be fully achieved, such as the act of a Muslim killing an "infidel", or a practicing Jew keeping the Sabbath. Those two things are fairly easy to accomplish, compared with restlessly attempting to "clean house" within your own soul.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 2:37 pm

Ragtime wrote:
SamAckary wrote:
I realise that yes Islam is most likely the bloodiest of religions, but I would not exempt certain religions as 'peaceful' because it is not true, I mean you can't say that Christianity is the best for peace, I mean look at their record, not particularly blood-free, even though Jesus had great teachings and very wise and honourable worldviews.

A religion is defined by its teachings, which are its holy texts. (I had a nicely written-out reply, but I accidentally closed the window and lost it all.) To sum up what I wrote earlier that got erased, Christians fall short of emulating Christ more than Muslims fall short of emulating Mohamed because Christ is a higher standard, not because Christians are worse-behaved. It's easier to go kill some people that aren't like you, as the Qu'ran dictates, than to examine your own heart and constantly, wilfully struggle against your own bad impulses, as Christ taught His followers, knowing that you will never fully achieve that goal. The Jews also have an easier time upholding their religion than Christians do: if practicing Jews carry out the specific, purely physical acts that their particular rabbis tell them, meticulous though those acts can be, then they're in perfect standing religiously. But the standard Christ set was moral perfection -- a standard that cannot be reached by humans. So in Christianity, the standard is what followers must work toward, rather than something that can be fully achieved, such as the act of a Muslim killing an "infidel", or a practicing Jew keeping the Sabbath. Those two things are fairly easy to accomplish, compared with restlessly attempting to "clean house" within your own soul.

So the religion that has the most ridiculously impossible standards, has the greatest possibility of being true?

Hmm, have you actually read the Qu'ran, incidentally? You must speak Arabian to fully understand it, apparently.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 2:37 pm

MattShizzle wrote:
I can't remember the exact wording but there is a passage where jesus said to gather those who don't follow him and burn them - which was used when they burned people at the stake.

Quote:
Strictly speaking, God has the preroggative of taking life, and of ordering His followers to do so; He, after all, is the giver of all life, so it is also His to take.

That is just plain crazy and the thinking of a fanatic.

No, unless you read beyond my words, and into something I didn't say. My statement is logical, and simply paraphrases the Biblical sentiment, "The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away."

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 2:40 pm

Henriksson wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
SamAckary wrote:

So the religion that has the most ridiculously impossible standards, has the greatest possibility of being true?

I didn't say that at all.

Quote:
Hmm, have you actually read the Qu'ran, incidentally? You must speak Arabian to fully understand it, apparently.

A remarkably convenient defense against many who would take issue with the Qu'ran's teachings. Interestingly, several Arab-speaking Christians who have read the Qu'ran in Arabic all agree with all of my specific objections to its teachings. Seems we've defeated that alleged language barrier, huh?

Last edited by Ragtime on 28 May 2009, 2:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 2:44 pm

Ragtime wrote:
Henriksson wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
SamAckary wrote:

You hinted at it. Otherwise, how would your longwinded post make any sense at all?

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 2:46 pm

Henriksson wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Henriksson wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
SamAckary wrote:

You hinted at it. Otherwise, how would your longwinded post make any sense at all?

My post wasn't even long, let alone long-winded.

And my post is perfectly clear. What about it do you not understand?