Page 4 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 1:54 pm

My issue with this is how do they classify "junk food?"

Soda and candy are obvious, but what about pork? Or red meat? Or whole milk verses skim milk?

Ultimately, obesity isn't caused by eating "junk food," it's caused by eating more calories than what you burn off. You can accomplish "fatness" by eating "healthy" food.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2015, 8:26 pm

From the Rightwing ...

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 2:43 am

The reason some people support this is because they resent the idea of the poor spending tax money on junk food. It has nothing to do with good will.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 6:19 am

Junk food would be soft drinks like Coca Cola, Dr Pepper, sugary foods like twinkies, no nutritional value foods like potato chips.

Those are classic examples of junk food. It's not like they are a potato that can be nutrition-downed by the consumer. It's food that's had that done before it gets to the shelf so that it has no merits to it's existence except to destroy the health of the person buying it. White bread would be a classic example IF...

Never fear though, if laws were created penalizing it, the manufactures would simply do what they do to white bread. Add a bunch of enrichment, like vitamin powders and what not. Then it wouldn't be junk food any more.

Again, it's cherry picking of laws. In some areas, parents can be jailed if their kids do not attend these gang infested, violence riddled, low competency, broken down schools on a regular basis yet they are free to feed them a diet of snack foods like Doritos, high fructose corn syrup infused Dr Peppers and plenty of sugary desserts at will.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 10:59 am

I don't think it's good to start banning certain types of food for food stamp recipients. I've also heard of proposals to ban things like seafood because it's luxurious, even though nutritionists generally recommend that you get some fish every so often.

genesis529
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Apr 2015, 11:59 am

It is no one's business what someone on food stamps spends it on.
Yes, even if they buy a freaking PS4, IT IS NOT YOUR BUSINESS.
But, if it makes you feel better, by all means, ridicule them as much as you want. You're going to do it anyway.
And remember, you'll NEVER have to resort to food stamps yourself..... :roll:

genesis529
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Apr 2015, 12:02 pm

Janissy wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
[but even as i write this, i'm having second thoughts. when i give money to a homeless person, i don't give a crap if they spend it on crack or booze. it's none of my business, really.

Why do you not care? If they spend the money on crack, you are helping to finance both their drug suicide and somebody else's career as a drug dealer. It's lose-lose. If they spend it on alcohol, the suicide will be more slow motion but you have still are finacing something that will destroy them.

They're still going to die one day if they buy food with it too. Actually they might even live longer. In that case, you should be glad they're spending it on drugs, as they'll die sooner. That is what you REALLY want, deep down, ain't it?