San Francisco is the result of full Democrat control

Page 4 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2019, 9:34 am

I don’t live that far from Cherokee. They are a Fierce and Serious people. They have to be, because the government tried pretty hard to genocide them. And yes, there are a lot of people around here who follow the “one drop” rule of Cherokee heritage, even though Cherokees themselves do not recognize one ancestor as qualifying you to be an Indian. That being said...call me crazy but I kind of see the high cheekbones...

But anyway, yeah see, do you guys remember [url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabrini–Green_Homes]Cabrini Green?[/url]
It was a beautiful affordable living high rise neighborhood when it was originally developed, but it fell into disrepair and became known as one of the most hellish places on earth. I believe it’s all torn down now. Too bad. I love that style of architecture.

This would happen in CA if they built affordable living projects without making sure the occupants also had jobs, education, healthcare including drug rehabilitation and mental health, and childcare. A major, major undertaking. And really social rehabilitation too. Families need to stay together, gangs need to be reorganized for positive change instead of crime, people in general need to turn away from anger and despair and work toward making their lives pleasant.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2019, 9:34 am

I'm not voting for Warren if she gets the nomination, but it has nothing to do with her native American ancestry claims. In fact, there's not one Democratic candidate I will support, at this point.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2019, 2:18 pm

Re- Elizabeth Warren's ancestry.

According to family stories I am 1/128th Jamaican (my grandmother's grandmother's mother). The only proof of this I have one way or another is my maternal lineage mitochondrial haplotype traces to west africa. If accurate this puts me as more African American than Elizabeth Warren is Native American.

I'm a red-haired, pink-skinned individual who if I listed myself as African American on anything would've been ridiculed and laughed at (rightly so I'll add).

Warren claimed to be Native American on a Texas bar administration card. She was listed as Native American diversity by Harvard and Penn when she was faculty there. Later she denied knowing the schools listed her as such. She likely, though the records have never been released claimed it on school and job applications. She committed fraud plain and simple.

Due to the Trump effect people seem to be glossing this over. Much like Joe Biden, she benefits from the opposition being such a rotting carcass of morality that her indiscretions look minor.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2019, 2:19 pm

Harvard boasted about having a 'woman of colour'. I'm more Native than her.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2019, 4:13 pm

Antrax wrote:

According to family stories I am 1/128th Jamaican (my grandmother's grandmother's mother). The only proof of this I have one way or another is my maternal lineage mitochondrial haplotype traces to west africa. If accurate this puts me as more African American than Elizabeth Warren is Native American.

I'm a red-haired, pink-skinned individual who if I listed myself as African American on anything would've been ridiculed and laughed at (rightly so I'll add).

Warren claimed to be Native American on a Texas bar administration card. She was listed as Native American diversity by Harvard and Penn when she was faculty there. Later she denied knowing the schools listed her as such. She likely, though the records have never been released claimed it on school and job applications. She committed fraud plain and simple.

Due to the Trump effect people seem to be glossing this over. Much like Joe Biden, she benefits from the opposition being such a rotting carcass of morality that her indiscretions look minor.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation ... story.html

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2019, 4:21 pm

Quote:
The National Congress of American Indians (NCAI) Wednesday formally condemned President Trump in a statement for his “continued use of the name ‘Pocohantas’ as a slur” when referring to Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.).

“NCAI condemns the President’s continued use of the name ‘Pocahontas’ as an insult for political gain,” NCAI CEO Kevin Allis said in the statement. “Not only does it disrespect Pocahontas’ legacy and life, it likens her name to a slur.”

And Antrax, she might have more Native American ancestry than you have West African ancestry.

Quote:
Warren took a test last year that demonstrated she was between 1/64th and 1/1028th Native American and has since apologized multiple times for the confusion caused when she identified herself as Native American.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... mns-trumps

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2019, 5:18 pm

beneficii wrote:
Antrax wrote:

Interesting read that I hadn't seen before. It does cast her in a bit of a different light, but still raises some questions. Like why change her ethnicity designation after being hired, and why list it on the Texas Bar card? Most damning, why deny any knowledge that the schools listed her as diversity faculty?

Don't get me wrong this makes her look better, but she still listed herself as a Native American for a long time, even if not during the application process.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2019, 5:21 pm

I feel like Elizabeth Warren was seeking to take advantage of her alleged "minority" status. So she can gain some sort of advantage.

I don't feel what she did was right.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2019, 5:26 pm

Antrax wrote:
beneficii wrote:
Antrax wrote:

Interesting read that I hadn't seen before. It does cast her in a bit of a different light, but still raises some questions. Like why change her ethnicity designation after being hired, and why list it on the Texas Bar card? Most damning, why deny any knowledge that the schools listed her as diversity faculty?

Don't get me wrong this makes her look better, but she still listed herself as a Native American for a long time, even if not during the application process.

Probably because of her family lore. This is very common among many old white stock families.

https://www.quora.com/Do-you-hold-it-ag ... orningstar

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2019, 5:37 pm

beneficii wrote:
Quote:
The National Congress of American Indians (NCAI) Wednesday formally condemned President Trump in a statement for his “continued use of the name ‘Pocohantas’ as a slur” when referring to Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.).

“NCAI condemns the President’s continued use of the name ‘Pocahontas’ as an insult for political gain,” NCAI CEO Kevin Allis said in the statement. “Not only does it disrespect Pocahontas’ legacy and life, it likens her name to a slur.”

And Antrax, she might have more Native American ancestry than you have West African ancestry.

Quote:
Warren took a test last year that demonstrated she was between 1/64th and 1/1028th Native American and has since apologized multiple times for the confusion caused when she identified herself as Native American.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... mns-trumps

Did you miss the part where I called Trump a rotting carcass of morality? The man flings insensitive insults like no one else.

My personal example was to show the ridiculousness of Warren's claim. It doesn't actually matter if she has more Native American ancestry than I do West African ancestry, because for both of us it is quite low. The lower bound of Warren's ancestor is 6 generations removed. At 20 years per generation, we're talking the 1830s. The upper bound is 11 generations and puts her most recent Native American ancestor at the 1730s, before the U.S. was a country.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2019, 5:54 pm

Antrax wrote:
My personal example was to show the ridiculousness of Warren's claim. It doesn't actually matter if she has more Native American ancestry than I do West African ancestry, because for both of us it is quite low. The lower bound of Warren's ancestor is 6 generations removed. At 20 years per generation, we're talking the 1830s. The upper bound is 11 generations and puts her most recent Native American ancestor at the 1730s, before the U.S. was a country.

I agree. It was ridiculous. However, she has come around on this issue. I think this Native American on Quora gives good background on this matter:

Quote:
Do you hold it against Elizabeth Warren that she completely lied about her ethnic background for decades?

Nope!

I only held it against her when she was actively entrenched in the Cherokee blood lore claim and making up alternative reality narratives and defending it, or talking about a DNA test supported her family lore, etc.

Of course, I will say that she was pretty darn stubborn about the whole thing, but she’s not unsual in that regard either.

Indeed, there has been forward momentum and now she’s basically at the spot where she should be on this issue. Further, the story that she helped to prod along and bring national attention to is moving into a more positive direction as well.

Quote:
For those that aren’t so specifically partisan with their ire, and are still tempted to hold it against her, let me ask a follow-up question.

Are you going after the millions of other Americans that do the EXACT SAME THING??? What do you plan to do with these box checkers and “part Indians?”

https://www.quora.com/Do-you-hold-it-ag ... orningstar

Quote:

Did you miss the part where I called Trump a rotting carcass of morality? The man flings insensitive insults like no one else.

It was not an attack on you. I should have been clearer.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2019, 6:04 pm

Solutions:

1. Ban investment firms from buying homes.

2. Change zoning to allow multi-family homes. Oregon recently signed such a bill into law.

3. Reaffirm housing as a basic human right.

4. Raze decrepit buildings and build high-density, non-luxury apartments.

5. Legislation that states that home prices cannot rise faster than per capita income. If need be, roll back prices to match the national average. There have been homes in the Bay Area that were gutted by fire, or infested with mold and rats, still selling for over $1 mil.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2019, 6:07 pm

A distinction should be made between a person overstating something vs telling a deliberate falsehood . Warren should have said " I have Native American ancestry " not that she was Native American . She's not the first, and certainly won't be the last , to overly identify with a small % of , for want of a better phrase, 'exotic ancestry' .

It seems to me that on this issue some are deliberately seeking to make a mountain out of a molehill .

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2019, 7:05 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Solutions:

1. Ban investment firms from buying homes.

2. Change zoning to allow multi-family homes. Oregon recently signed such a bill into law.

3. Reaffirm housing as a basic human right.

4. Raze decrepit buildings and build high-density, non-luxury apartments.

5. Legislation that states that home prices cannot rise faster than per capita income. If need be, roll back prices to match the national average. There have been homes in the Bay Area that were gutted by fire, or infested with mold and rats, still selling for over $1 mil.

2 is a good idea. 1, 4, and 5 are counterproductive to each other, unless you're doing a total government takeover of all housing in San Francisco. It's the same as rent control, by trying to artificially lower prices you decrease the willingness of development to happen.