Page 4 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

monty
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2008, 6:07 pm

pandabear wrote:
They used to flog soldiers as a means of keeping up morale and discipline. Now, they've stopped doing that, at least in a lot of countries. Maybe they still do it in Saudi Arabia.

See ...? The decline in the US did not start with 1960's style parenting! :wink:

monty
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2008, 7:42 pm

CRACK wrote:
there are too many people that were spanked as kids and not enough of them are truly emotionally harmed now, as far as I can tell.

That's because the parents didn't spank hard enough, often enough. Some kids are tougher than others.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2008, 8:13 pm

monty wrote:
That's because the parents didn't spank hard enough, often enough. Some kids are tougher than others.

You know what they say: spare the rod and spoil the child.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2008, 8:41 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
monty wrote:

You know what they say: spare the rod and spoil the child.

And the other thing they say: "the floggings will continue until morale improves!"

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2008, 10:33 pm

Here is a bit about Uriah Levy, who championed the abolition of flogging of American sailors

http://www.shalomdc.org/page.html?ArticleID=113329

Fairly early in his career, Levy made plain his opposition to flogging, still a routine form of discipline in the American Navy. The practice had left many a sailor scarred for life, and though some limits on it had been put in place, it was nevertheless still widely considered necessary, as it had been for centuries in the Royal Navy, to maintain control over brutish sailors. But Levy argued that flogging was “inconsistent with the genius of our institutions,” however tried-and-true the British precedent. A sailor in the United States Navy was a freeman, he said, and should be treated as such. Even aboard the United States, Levy spoke out against flogging, but his protestations were either ignored or derided as yet another instance of the arrogant oddity of this Jewish officer.

Levy’s position hadn’t softened by 1837, when he was at last promoted to master commandant and given his own ship, the 20-gun sloop-of-war Vandalia. Flogging was still permitted, but the Navy now officially discouraged the practice, and Levy took full advantage of the latitude. He devised alternative punishments, such as requiring sailors who came aboard drunk to wear a wooden bottle labeled a drunkard’s punishment around their necks for three days. Petty theft was punished with a similar wooden label. Sailors caught fighting had to drink seawater “to cool the blood.” A seaman mimicking an officer was mocked himself—as a parrot, with a dab of tar and several feathers applied to his backside.

Levy’s innovative approach resulted in an efficient ship. When Vandalia returned from its cruise along the Gulf Coast of Mexico in 1839, newspapers from Virginia to New York took notice of Levy’s unorthodox yet successful methods, which, as the New York Evening Star declared, “demonstrated the advantages of suasive means over brute appliances, even with sailors.”

...he continued to petition for the abolition of flogging, writing articles, publishing a pamphlet, and handing out cat-o’-nine-tails to congressmen. (Herman Melville, author of Moby Dick, joined Levy’s campaign against flogging.) Levy also argued for more rigorous and systematic training of midshipmen. These two major reforms of the 19th-century Navy—the abolition of flogging and the adoption of more formal officer training—were in some sense related; both reflected the more democratic American Navy that would emerge.

In 1849, Senator John Hale, drawing in part on statistics collected by Levy, introduced a bill to abolish corporal punishment in the Navy. Opposition was loud and organized and initially included the Navy itself, which foresaw a sure loss of efficiency without the discipline of the lash. In 1850 a limited anti-flogging bill was passed, and in 1862 Congress finally outlawed flogging in the Navy.

Now Levy had his portrait painted again—a middle-aged bracket to that of the young lieutenant. His hairline has receded somewhat; the then-stylish sideburns are replaced by a now-fashionable mustache. The young officer’s wary pride is tempered by the weary pomp of middle age. One hand holds a captain’s sword, the other a half-rolled scroll with the words “Author of the abolition of Flogging in the Navy of the United States.”

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2008, 11:20 pm

Here is an article on the spanking of boys in the British navy

http://www.corpun.com/kiss2.htm

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 12:19 am

Should be illegal not to spank your kids.

I live next to "law abiding Christians" and all they do is verbally abuse their children because they're against "smacking". It's really awful to listen to.

loudmouth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Feb 2008, 1:17 pm

It shouldn't be illegal I was spanked as a kid in only the most severe situations, am I scarred? Heck no. If anything it taught me theres a line, and if I cross it there are conquences.

All this go into the corner, Gold Stars BS is absurd good behaviaor shouldnt be rewarded with the type of praise you'd give a dog, It should be expected. Am i saying spanking is the only option no, but it shouldnt be completely ignored as an option either.

Last edited by loudmouth on 13 Feb 2008, 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 4:06 pm

My thoughts on what parents should do;

1. Avoid Yelling, Insults and Put-downs - these just affect esteem.
2. Smack when necessary - but only when necessary
3. Give children prior warning - (eg: Dinner is on in 5 minutes, so finish your game)
4. Acknowledge good behaviour - no, not like a dog - but tell them when they're being good
5. Reward exceptional behaviour
6. Pick your Battles - who cares how they hold their fork?
7. Be a kid sometimes - see it from their point of view and have some fun.
8. Give the kids goals and responsibilities - not chores.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

12 Feb 2008, 4:15 pm

gbollard wrote:

3. Give children prior warning - (eg: Dinner is on in 5 minutes, so finish your game)
4. Acknowledge good behaviour - no, not like a dog - but tell them when they're being good

As close to perfect guidelines as I've seen. :)

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 4:15 pm

gbollard wrote:

Honestly, why go through all of that work? Here is my idea:

1) Petition your local politician to legalize post-natal abortions
2) Abort your children

A LOT easier!! :D

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

12 Feb 2008, 4:20 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Honestly, why go through all of that work? Here is my idea:

1) Petition your local politician to legalize post-natal abortions
2) Abort your children

A LOT easier!! :D

Yes, that would be a lot easier.

However, sometimes I think I'd be in danger of being aborted. :P

YowlingCat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 4:20 pm

pandabear wrote:
Fairly early in his career, Levy made plain his opposition to flogging, still a routine form of discipline in the American Navy. The practice had left many a sailor scarred for life, and though some limits on it had been put in place, it was nevertheless still widely considered necessary, as it had been for centuries in the Royal Navy, to maintain control over brutish sailors.

Oh, those brutish five-year-olds.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 4:43 pm

gwenevyn wrote:
Yes, that would be a lot easier.

However, sometimes I think I'd be in danger of being aborted. :P

Yeah, I probably would have been. :wink:

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 4:49 pm

There are legitimate reasons for abortion.

but not many.

I don't think I could under-emphasize the value of having children.