Page 37 of 41 [ 642 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2016, 7:09 pm

i'm all for s.j. hawking being our president. :star:

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2016, 11:23 am

I hate military hero worship, I think most people in uniform are pompous, vile, self-serving scumbags. The institution itself hasn't contributed anything of value to the world in a very long time and deserves way less funding.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2016, 11:32 am

auntblabby wrote:
i'm all for s.j. hawking being our president. :star:

He's certainly got the accent down.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2016, 11:41 am

I wouldn't mind having Hawking's knowledge, actually.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2016, 4:10 pm

^^^not just his knowledge but his rapidfire cognition.

comicalArchitect
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Aug 2016, 9:00 pm

Almajo88 wrote:
What is or isn't 'correct' science comes down to methodology, which is rarely reported on or challenged seriously. I'm not getting involved in this argument, but I will say that our uneducated idea of truth relies upon who we do or do not believe, and that itself depends on our own preconceptions. Ultimately, any realistic view must understand the role of power at every level.

We all rely on heuristics to understand the world around us; there is always a gap in our logic that is filled with presumptions. You can never act as if what you believe is absolute truth.

That said, here is my controversial opinion!

I don't follow gender theory as it relates to trans-genderism. I think that people who change their bodies in order to conform to societal expectations are tragic; it's a result of our individualistic culture, where we change our superficial selves instead of trying to change society. If you're born as a male or female sex, that isn't something you can ever change, and being a transwoman is not the same as being a woman.

This isn't to say that I dislike people who transform themselves in this way. I respect that there is a thought process, even if I don't think it is correct.

YOU have no authority to tell ME what my gender is. Zero. My experience trumps your theories. If I feel a certain way, you don't get to tell me that my feelings are invalid.

Tallman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Aug 2016, 6:41 am

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but I think population control is an important one. The human race is growing far too fast. Earth has a limited carrying capacity and its natural resources are limited. Many governments encourage population growth (and some even pay financial incentives for reproduction) as it is believed it is linked to economical growth. Though China at the same time as having its one child policy in place was one of the fastest growing economies in the world. I know there are unethical outcomes involved in such policies but I still find it interesting. I haven't done much research into that but if anyone else here has I'd love to hear about it. Growth for growths sake is a pointless endeavour. Economies are tied to natural resources more than they are human numbers. The more humans the quicker we burn through those resources.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2016, 6:44 am

growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. [Edward abbey]

Tallman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Aug 2016, 6:46 am

auntblabby wrote:

Exactly. That is the quote I was referring to when I used those words haha

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2016, 6:47 am

Tallman wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Exactly. That is the quote I was referring to when I used those words haha

and when the time comes, this ol' earth will just slough us off like a bad case of rash. [George carlin ]

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2016, 6:56 am

Almajo88 wrote:

I don't follow gender theory as it relates to trans-genderism. I think that people who change their bodies in order to conform to societal expectations are tragic; it's a result of our individualistic culture, where we change our superficial selves instead of trying to change society. If you're born as a male or female sex, that isn't something you can ever change, and being a transwoman is not the same as being a woman.

This isn't to say that I dislike people who transform themselves in this way. I respect that there is a thought process, even if I don't think it is correct.

I think the recent boom in trans-genderism (fluid, non-binary, bi etc) and its attendent categories (see also: sexuality) is a right step in the wrong direction.

Better yet to evacuate all notions of gender. It only causes a lot of bother.

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2016, 7:20 am

Hopper wrote:
Almajo88 wrote:

I think the recent boom in trans-genderism (fluid, non-binary, bi etc) and its attendent categories (see also: sexuality) is a right step in the wrong direction.

Better yet to evacuate all notions of gender. It only causes a lot of bother.

agree also, its a disturbing way around to re-inforce gender expectations, by some who push this nonsense
have we not worked hard to change roles only to get thrown away for consumable desires?

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2016, 7:51 am

MDD123 wrote:
I hate military hero worship, I think most people in uniform are pompous, vile, self-serving scumbags. The institution itself hasn't contributed anything of value to the world in a very long time and deserves way less funding.

:roll:

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2016, 8:37 am

MDD123 wrote:

My grandfather was in the military and saw combat and he would tell you that its people like you that causes people to have PTSD and shell shock. It does something to a man when they sacrifice so much to get spit on when they return home. I respect your opinion but its an absolute horrible one and has very bad consequences if you make it known to our soldiers.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2016, 12:00 pm

dcj123 wrote:
MDD123 wrote:

My grandfather was in the military and saw combat and he would tell you that its people like you that causes people to have PTSD and shell shock. It does something to a man when they sacrifice so much to get spit on when they return home. I respect your opinion but its an absolute horrible one and has very bad consequences if you make it known to our soldiers.

I'm anti-war, but I have a great deal of respect for people in the armed forces. They put up with all sorts of crap that we don't even think about in our day to day lives, and they often don't get the thanks that they deserve for their sacrifices.

I think if anyone deserves to be spit upon, it's the politicians who create unnecessary conflicts that lead to wars being fought. They may not be the ones out on the battlefield, but ultimately they're the ones with all the blood on their hands.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2016, 8:03 pm

dcj123 wrote:
MDD123 wrote:

Things were different for your grandpa, nowadays troops get non-stop praise, they spend a year or so touring a country they'll never have to live in, then they come home heroes for life. I've seen my share of NCOs huddled together tough-talking lower enlisted while they actually worked; I'd see those same lower enlisted start to emulate that kind of behavior, talking down to people and lamenting the old-school army they were never in. I've seen them bully people just for not drinking, or being gay(committed suicide), or listening to classical music. Saw a guy who was beside himself with pride because he shot an old man who was too senile to notice the warning sign (had his confirmed kill). I've seen them on FB ridiculing teenagers for wanting safe spaces, while wanting empathy for PTSD. Nothing they did actually made this country a better place, and the way they do things is just vile, I stand by that.