Page 6 of 9 [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 11:36 am

WilliamWDelaney wrote:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19457060

"Castration impaired spatial working memory performance in the delayed matching to place water maze task following a 1-h, but not a 1-min, retention interval, as has been reported for rats. In contrast, castration had no effect on novel object recognition memory, spatial reference memory in the water maze, motor coordination, or passive avoidance memory...

...Finally, we assessed the effects of androgen replacement with non-aromatizable dihydrotestosterone on spatial working memory following various retention intervals. Dihydrotestosterone recovered spatial memory performance following a 24-h, but not a 1-h retention interval, and had no effect at other retention intervals."

In other words, it's a scientific fact that just BEING A GUY gives you a boost in certain areas. It doesn't mean everything, and that's why we ought to be on our guard against people who would abuse these facts to try to justify harmful, unprofessional conduct. However, it does have an effect, and the point of bringing it up is that...

(deep breath)

...YOU CAN'T EXPLAIN EVERYTHING BASED ON DISCRIMINATION OR CULTURAL INDOCTRINATION. THEY ARE SERIOUS PROBLEMS, BUT THERE ARE LIMITATIONS TO THEIR EXPLANATORY POWER. WHAT PART OF THIS IS HARD FOR PEOPLE TO COMPREHEND?

you were the only person to mention discrimination or cultural indoctrination on this thread, so i am not sure who you are shouting at. :?

sage_gerard
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 May 2012, 12:04 pm

SanityTheorist wrote:
Men do science and technological matters better, women do artistic and social endeavors better. In regards to comments below, men are far more likely to be scientists and women artists/stay-at-home mothers, which they should be.

Biological differences are not hard to comprehend. If you look at ducks, spiders or lions, it is clear sex has serious influence.

What bothers people is the notion that being born a certain way means your identity must develop in a certain way.

I have no problem admitting that being a man means I can be prone to aggression, have good depth perception and blah blah blah. I would take issue with someone saying that I must therefore endorse violence or always be the one to drive.

This makes David Hume barf a little bit in his grave. There is a massive is-ought gap here.

For future reference for those who don't know what that is: David Hume once observed that people have a habit of saying what things are before suddenly talking about how they should be. He claimed this was a problem, since it leaves a large logical gap. How does "ought" follow from "is"?

Unless you can objectively prove the content of the word "should", I would suggest not assuming that identity follows from anatomy. If Alan the Strong Man could lift 3 megagrams but wants to do ballet, don't force him to join the circus. If a woman could nurture a child and run a home beautifully, but wants to run a research and development firm, don't force her to stay home.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 12:32 pm

CrazyCatLord wrote:
This is how Wikipedia creates new "facts":

Forgot the part in which people take a xkcd comic at face value.

ruveyn wrote:
Joker wrote:
bizboy1 wrote:
There are more men that are simply intellectually superior. It's a fact.

Unless you have some form of proof I disagree both men and women are equal intellectually.

There are far more male mathematicians and theoretical physicists than female.
ruveyn

Your statistical sample is not suitable for taking conclusions (duh, BTW).

While this discussion is not showing any relevant information in regards of gender and intelligence it is doing great work at showing that some men are terribad at science.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 12:36 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Joker wrote:
bizboy1 wrote:

Unless you have some form of proof I disagree both men and women are equal intellectually.

ruveyn

While this discussion is not showing any relevant information in regards of gender and intelligence it is doing great work at showing that some men are terribad at science.

Does not change the facts. More male mathematicians and theoretical physicists than female. There is a difference in the way male brains work from the way female brains work on average.

ruveyn

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 12:39 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Joker wrote:
bizboy1 wrote:

ruveyn

Does not change the facts. More male mathematicians and theoretical physicists than female. There is a difference in the way male brains work from the way female brains work on average.

ruveyn

that does not mean that men are smarter, though.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 12:41 pm

Just counting the amount of mathematicians and theoretical physicists is a terrible method, that's probably the map you won't find a paper in nature magazine saying "more boys are teh phycisits ergo women are bad at mathz" . Your experiment would, for starters, need a control group.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 12:43 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
Just counting the amount of mathematicians and theoretical physicists is a terrible method, that's probably the map you won't find a paper in nature magazine saying "more boys are teh phycisits ergo women are bad at mathz" . Your experiment would, for starters, need a control group.

The mathematicians and physicists have more influence on what the world is than other groups.

Consider that we are communicating by a computer network. Who made that?

ruveyn

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 12:46 pm

A woman was the first computer programmer, so you tell me.

You are avoiding the actual point, that just counting mathematicians is incredibly terrible science. It does not matter if the field is more relevant or not. You are not considering that you are taking a biased sample.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 1:13 pm

Just saying that there are more of this or that in a given profession doesnt account for the cultural selection that led to those results.

It may well be that there are discernable racial (or population) and gender IQ gaps and that IQ measures intelligence. White males have larger brains than blacks or women. But so do whales. I don't believe we know enough to be sure yet how it all fits together. Your mileage may vary.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 1:30 pm

TM wrote:
At my IQ level I believe its statistically 1 woman for every 6 males.

May be from outdated data. I remenber reading somewhere that the proportion of female/male for very high IQ has raised over time as female have more and more access to intellectually stimulating activities. A girl gifted in math is now more likelly to have access to math advanced education and competitions, for example, raising the measured IQ.

CrazyCatLord wrote:
NarcissusSavage wrote:
Given that IQ tests are the most established means of quantifying intelligence, and given that men as a group score higher on IQ tests than women, then it follows that men (still as a group, remember) are more intelligent than women.

A relatively recent study conducted by psychologists at Edinburgh University found that the overall IQ difference between men and women is only marginal, but there is a far greater variance in IQ among men. Men seem to be more likely to be either in the top or the bottom percentiles of intelligence. Which means that as a group, men are both more intelligent and more stupid than women. As individuals, they are more likely to be either geniuses or village idiots.

Here is a link to the study: http://www.subjectpool.com/ed_papers/20 ... rences.pdf
This would explain why female college / university graduates outnumber male ones, and why men at the same time far outnumber women in fields like theoretical science. It also provides a partial explanation as to why there were (and, what is more puzzling, still are) no female equivalents of Newton and Einstein, Bach and Beethoven, or Shakespeare and Chekhov.

More like female never had the opportunitie, never heard of Fanny Mendelssohn? She was possibly as good or better musician that her brother, but it's his brother who got success.

sage_gerard
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 May 2012, 1:38 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Consider that we are communicating by a computer network. Who made that?

Don't limit this to networking. In computing, women were involved almost every step of the way. Hell, they were even called computers during WWII! Their entire job was to handle the brutal math behind calculating the trajectory of artillery shells. Picture entire rooms filled with women being trusted to come up with extremely accurate results in spite of human errors.

Even after ENIAC and other machines came into the picture, guess who was around to learn how to work them?

Wait a minute... Why am I telling you this? You're 75! Didn't you at least hear about all this sometime in your youth?

Anyway, don't forget Grace Hopper. She made the first compiler, which allowed computers to understand certain pidgins that we now call "high level programming languages". Stack all that on with Vexcalibur's mention of Ada Lovelace and this formidable list of women in computing. (click) Oh yeah, and a girl I tutored not too long ago also got a gig with the Navy. She was sharp, and she did not need many sessions with me... She knew what she was doing.

But what do I know? "That's the exception that proves the rule", right?

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 2:12 pm

Unless you can intelligently incorporate cultural and economic bias into the discussion, you cannot draw meaningful conclusions.

Yes men and women score, on average, differently on IQ tests. But until you can normalize the tests for cultural bias, you can't pretend that the IQ test is an objective measure of anything except the ability to take tests.

Yes, there are more men in mathematics and theoretical physics. But there are also more male poets and novelists. Surely if ratios of employment were determinative, then we would be forced to the conclusion that men are better verbal thinkers than women, too. But the IQ tests tell us that they are not.

So why, then, are we falling prey to the confirmation bias inherent in the statement, "there are more male mathematicians, therefore men are better at math."

This has little to nothing to do with cognitive skill, and much to everything to do with economic opportunity.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 2:14 pm

WilliamWDelaney
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 2:55 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
you were the only person to mention discrimination or cultural indoctrination on this thread, so i am not sure who you are shouting at. :?
Very old frustration. Any questions?

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 2:57 pm

WilliamWDelaney wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
Very old frustration. Any questions?

just two: CAN YOU DIAL IT DOWN A NOTCH? AND CAN YOU STOP YOURSELF FROM RE-INTRODUCING OLD ARGUMENTS?

WilliamWDelaney
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 3:01 pm

visagrunt wrote:
Unless you can intelligently incorporate cultural and economic bias into the discussion, you cannot draw meaningful conclusions.

Yes men and women score, on average, differently on IQ tests. But until you can normalize the tests for cultural bias, you can't pretend that the IQ test is an objective measure of anything except the ability to take tests.

Yes, there are more men in mathematics and theoretical physics. But there are also more male poets and novelists. Surely if ratios of employment were determinative, then we would be forced to the conclusion that men are better verbal thinkers than women, too. But the IQ tests tell us that they are not.

So why, then, are we falling prey to the confirmation bias inherent in the statement, "there are more male mathematicians, therefore men are better at math."

This has little to nothing to do with cognitive skill, and much to everything to do with economic opportunity.
Please read the stuff that I have posted here.

There is scientific evidence that gonadal steroids have a measurable effect on performance in tasks involving certain aspects of spatial reasoning and verbal memory, and there is evidence that they also impact divergent versus convergent thought processes.

I have provided the concrete, authentic, falsifiable evidence that you are claiming, here, there is a deficit of. Now, I agree that most people who comment on either side of the issue are profoundly lazy, and they never contribute anything tangible or falsifiable to the discussion. I am one of those people, though, who have busted their asses to comprehend this issue, as well as many others, having read thousands of pages of authentic material on it. Try actually reading my citations. They are interesting.

Last edited by WilliamWDelaney on 02 May 2012, 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.