Page 6 of 7 [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2023, 11:15 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Well to be fair when you have an actress with African heritage portraying Anne Bolyen whom everyone knows was a Caucasian Queen married to a Caucasian King of England in the middle ages that is very much an attempt to warp history just as much as what DeSantis is doing.

I'm on the record that historical dramas need to be authentic and not "stylised" or projecting "modern values". I line up with the racists on that one point.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2023, 11:16 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Just because a cast is not all white does not make a movie woke.

Tell that to the anti-woke crowd. I frankly don't care. The marketplace should decide entertainment diversity.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2023, 11:23 pm

cyberdad wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Well to be fair when you have an actress with African heritage portraying Anne Bolyen whom everyone knows was a Caucasian Queen married to a Caucasian King of England in the middle ages that is very much an attempt to warp history just as much as what DeSantis is doing.

I'm on the record that historical dramas need to be authentic and not "stylised" or projecting "modern values". I line up with the racists on that one point.

Was that 90s era Romeo and Juliet movie less good because it used "modern" casting?
At the very least, was that choice relevant to it's overall quality? :?

Last edited by funeralxempire on 10 Mar 2023, 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2023, 11:23 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
I think there has to be potentially better role models for black women (or women in general) than her. Why not cast aside that pasty white Elizabeth Taylor and make a Cleopatra movie starring a black actress? Or perhaps one about Nefertiti?

I know there's debate about what the actual race of the Egyptian people and these female rulers were but at the same time these were both very powerful and effective women in leadership connected to one of the greatest civilizations in Africa.

It's just a thought...

Here;s three examples in 2023 of Egyptian identity of Queen Nefertiti according to a
a. Eurocentric viewpoint

b) an afrocentric viewpoint

c) what she likely looked like

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2023, 11:40 pm

cyberdad wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
I think there has to be potentially better role models for black women (or women in general) than her. Why not cast aside that pasty white Elizabeth Taylor and make a Cleopatra movie starring a black actress? Or perhaps one about Nefertiti?

I know there's debate about what the actual race of the Egyptian people and these female rulers were but at the same time these were both very powerful and effective women in leadership connected to one of the greatest civilizations in Africa.

It's just a thought...

Here;s three examples in 2023 of Egyptian identity of Queen Nefertiti according to a
a. Eurocentric viewpoint

b) an afrocentric viewpoint

c) what she likely looked like

I like the idea of making a movie about her from an afrocentric point of view. I think it would work. 8)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2023, 12:06 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
I like the idea of making a movie about her from an afrocentric point of view. I think it would work. 8)

Not if she looks like this

Most African Americans are from west Africa so phenotypically have no resemblance to the bust of Queen Nefertiti
There may be a remote chance she had some Nubian ancestry so the following might be boderline acceptable

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2023, 8:26 am

cyberdad wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

Not if she looks like this

Most African Americans are from west Africa so phenotypically have no resemblance to the bust of Queen Nefertiti
There may be a remote chance she had some Nubian ancestry so the following might be boderline acceptable

Oh, Ok I think I understand now...

This feels like such a complex issue. And unfortunately I don't know much about West African culture other than the Dahomey warrior women. Which to be honest I stand by my opinion that that was something worthy of pride despite the fact that their kingdom was responsible for selling so many Africans into slavery to the West. I mean they did fight to the death to defend their kingdom's independence from French colonialism. And there really arent too many examples in history of a society where strictly women had so much military power over a kingdom. It was definetly a true life story of female empowerment in my opnion and even though I'm not a fan of Marvel superhero movies I did like how they inspired the bald female soldiers who guarded the king in Black Panther.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2023, 7:47 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
This feels like such a complex issue. And unfortunately I don't know much about West African culture other than the Dahomey warrior women. Which to be honest I stand by my opinion that that was something worthy of pride despite the fact that their kingdom was responsible for selling so many Africans into slavery to the West. I mean they did fight to the death to defend their kingdom's independence from French colonialism. And there really arent too many examples in history of a society where strictly women had so much military power over a kingdom. It was definetly a true life story of female empowerment in my opnion and even though I'm not a fan of Marvel superhero movies I did like how they inspired the bald female soldiers who guarded the king in Black Panther.

To be fair to the Afro-centrists, Hollywood portrays Egypt in movies (Cleopatra, The Mummy, Gods of Egypt and the Scorpion King) as populated by Europeans. Only one movie portrayed a multiracial Egypt was 1000BC. However even then the authenticity was strange as the main heroine was blue eyed and red haired with caucasian features except she had dreadlocks :roll: but her brother and immediate family were phenotypically sub-saharan African. Not sure how that worked genetically.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2023, 7:51 pm

cyberdad wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

To be fair to the Afro-centrists, Hollywood portrays Egypt in movies (Cleopatra, The Mummy, Gods of Egypt and the Scorpion King) as populated by Europeans. Only one movie portrayed a multiracial Egypt was 1000BC. However even then the authenticity was strange as the main heroine was blue eyed and red haired with caucasian features except she had dreadlocks :roll: but her brother and immediate family were phenotypically sub-saharan African. Not sure how that worked genetically.

Having not seen this movie, you do know that Africans are not the only ethnic group throughout history to wear their hair in dreadlocks?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2023, 8:01 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Having not seen this movie, you do know that Africans are not the only ethnic group throughout history to wear their hair in dreadlocks?

You do know we are talking about Hollywood and not some academic documentary right. Its a rather clumsy attempt at passing an attractive caucasian actress as part sub-saharan African.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2023, 8:23 pm

cyberdad wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

You do know we are talking about Hollywood and not some academic documentary right. Its a rather clumsy attempt at passing an attractive caucasian actress as part sub-saharan African.

Yeah I see your point now, but the dreads argument being a supposedly African-only thing has bugged me because it existed in other cultures to. Not just Caucasian but Asian too.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2023, 8:49 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
Next time Hollywood pretends to be woke with all their reimagining for modern audiences, I'm just gonna bring up a term that I should have used a long time ago.

Selling out.

But the audience is less "woke" than Hollywood. So it not "selling out". Or its failed selling out.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2023, 9:10 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Yeah I see your point now, but the dreads argument being a supposedly African-only thing has bugged me because it existed in other cultures to. Not just Caucasian but Asian too.

I agree it's not exclusively African but the cast/costume people in the move 10000BC had a challenge to get the audience to accept that an African tribe living around Egypt in 10000BC were all related as family when their intention was to cast the main actors (the actress and her brother) who happen to look glamorous/caucasian. The dreadlocks served as a tool to make it look superficially they were all part of the same tribe. One of the other issues was the people were a mix of sub-saharan and what appeared to be dark/Arabic looking with dreadlocks. The actress (Camilla Belle) stood out with bright red hair and sea blue eyes which was really odd.

The casting directors clearly wanted the movie to sell so cast Belle. It worked at the box office.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2023, 10:25 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:
Next time Hollywood pretends to be woke with all their reimagining for modern audiences, I'm just gonna bring up a term that I should have used a long time ago.

Selling out.

But the audience is less "woke" than Hollywood. So it not "selling out". Or its failed selling out.

Not selling out as in sold all tickets and merch, selling out as in compromising integrity, authenticity, morality, and principles for a personal gain.

An example would be Disney selling out by making all these goddamn live action remakes of their beloved classic animated films.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2023, 1:11 am

Aspiegaming wrote:
An example would be Disney selling out by making all these goddamn live action remakes of their beloved classic animated films.

They know fans will still watch the remakes and they can make them into cash cows they can milk by offering more up to date content. My nephew sat through 5 min of the original 1977 Star Wars and switched off the TV. But he watched the Mandalorian and loves it. Bought all the merchandise. Got to keep up with the times.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2023, 8:24 am

cyberdad wrote:
Got to keep up with the times.

I'd rather isolate myself and be an old hermit. :D

This world is too plastic and hollow...