Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Why does Schwarzenegger want to bury his state in debt?
He is a sadist and prefers options that cause suffering 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
He has no imagination 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
He just is pretending to save money knowing that he won't and that simply pretending is what's important 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 4

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2009, 4:50 pm

deleted

Last edited by xenon13 on 21 Jul 2009, 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2009, 5:26 pm

In the USA, each state is required by federal law to have a balanced budget. Some states are run better than others. California has been historically mismanaged. Typically, balancing California's budget has involved creative, one time only accounting gimmicks to create the illusion of balance where there is none. Now it's time to pay the piper, except the politicians don't want to. They are slashing aid to the poor because the poor have no lobbyists. They are keeping laws that favor the rich, however. Much of this aid slashing is along the lines of accounting gimmickry, since the long term costs will be much greater. I think the end game is a default on debt that's rated "worse than junk". That might lead to a flight out of ALL US debt, including Treasuries, possibly sparking a debt default on US debt, and some other countries' debts too. That would effectively nuke the global financial system. While the ensuing execution of those responsible would be welcome, the parts where millions starve and riots occur every day and the world's cash reserves vanish is not so great.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2009, 8:17 pm

All of the options you presented are negative.

I don't know much about Australian politics, much less the US but I do know that he's at least being honest.

I probably would have voted for him if (I was eligible - which I'll never be) in the last election because I admire the guy and figure he deserved a shot.

Now though, I think Hollywood really needs him back. The movies have mostly sucked since he left.

Acebrock
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Jul 2009, 8:31 pm

California, where we replace boring politicians with actors, then complain when it all goes wrong.

In my opinion, there's a very good reason for his 25-33% approval rating. That being his unwillingness to compromise

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2009, 8:50 pm

deleted

Last edited by xenon13 on 21 Jul 2009, 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2009, 10:11 pm

Acebrock wrote:
California, where we replace boring politicians with actors, then complain when it all goes wrong.

In my opinion, there's a very good reason for his 25-33% approval rating. That being his unwillingness to compromise

I'd have thought it would be obvious right from the start that he'd never compromise;

That was how he became Mr Universe
That was how he became (arguably) the best action film star of his generation.

Why would he change his personality for politics?

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2009, 11:03 pm

Some I suppose held out the hope that he does not want to be remembered as a real-life villain. He certainly is one. He is also a vulture and a blackmailer. I would not be surprised to see him demanding the teenage daughters of the Democratic members of the legislature in return for signing the budget... this is villainy. This is a cad that they're stuck with over there.

At least he is making the "the weak must die, only the strong should live", and the "the wages of sin is death" crowds happy... the militant Calvinists and Objectivists...

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2009, 11:07 pm

I can't say i approve much, but at the very least he's not trying to hide it like some of his Republican fellows. <.<