Florida Christians protest atheist billboard

Page 10 of 13 [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 2:34 am

gina-ghettoprincess wrote:
If you believe that the billboard shouldn't be allowed because it teaches acceptance of people who don't believe what you believe, then you are a bigot.

More like, they wouldn't want it to be allowed beause they find it offensive I believe, if that's the case, does that mean they are bigots too?

Quote:
If you are merely siding with the Christians by default, that is rather ignorant.

It can be for convenience.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 2:44 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Awesomelyglorious wrote:
greenblue wrote:
Actually, that seems contradictory, the former statement contradicts the latter.
P and not P

The question is whether accusing someone and stating a supposedly obvious fact are the same thing. If they are conceptually different in Sand's mind then Sand didn't engage in contradiction in those two sentences.

Engaging in contradiction within one's own mind is a tricky thing.

By Sand defining bio-g-t to be essentially identical in meaning, perhaps with a few quintillion extra derogatory connotations than the actual spelling of bi-got, his stating of ShadowGirl as being obviously one such person is an accusation of a sort, while in the previous sentence he said that she wasn't accused of being one.

Aaah, the problems of lexicography. We are moving through shadowy entities here and apparent contradictions can confuse the inexperienced mind. Multidimensional terminology when it slips across barriers is not easy to confront. Sand's mind, as even Sand is well aware, is a tricky beast not easily apprehended by minds accustomed to he values one encounters in the light of day. Murky forces are at work that an even confute simple words like the, in, out and especially up which id totally dependent upon a normal gravity field which may be quite different in other world lines. Of course, Shadowgirl operates in supernatural fields where people walk on water and produce loaves and fishes and perhaps a rabbit out of a top hat and her visceral capabilities are somewhat extraordinary. She is obviously a biogt and not a bigot or even a smallot or a teenyweenyot. No question!

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 2:57 am

Blah, blah, blah, throw insult here, insinuation there. Done, another excellent post.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 3:07 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Blah, blah, blah, throw insult here, insinuation there. Done, another excellent post.

Some people have an unfortunate genetic lack of a funnybone that even a diet high in calcium cannot help. Perhaps Christ could persuade you to lighten up. A lamp to a lampoon.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 3:11 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
greenblue wrote:
Actually, that seems contradictory, the former statement contradicts the latter.
P and not P

The question is whether accusing someone and stating a supposedly obvious fact are the same thing. If they are conceptually different in Sand's mind then Sand didn't engage in contradiction in those two sentences.

well... hence the "seem" in one hand, anyway, in Sand's mind, yeah, there would not be a contradiction in his mind, ang given such case, contradictions wouldn't be contradictions depending on the perspective as there would be disagreements related to the logic of propositions and arguments in such case, and I was actually expecting an answer like that, Sand making a difference between that being an "accusation" from being an "obvious fact", the issue I believe is that said statement would be regarded as an accusation or to put it better, an allegation, given that the truthness of such allegation is in question and more likely comming from a subjective approach such as emotional responses and ad hominems rather than purely analytical, (judging from some posts, but I know I can't be reliable on this) in that regard I negate the statement as an "obvious fact", given the case I can't be certain of the truthness of such allegation, and given that the truthness of it isn't clear, it would still be regarded as an allegation or an accusation and given the nature of the arguments I would say that the conclusion becomes questionable and from not so much of a reliable source.

So I believe that concluding the statement such as "You are a bigot=accusation/allegation" rather than "a proven or obvious fact" to be somewhat fair even if that isn't the case in his (and others) mind(s), but more from an impartial approach, and in such case: The issue would seem like a contradiction, negating an action assumed to be that action.

Last edited by greenblue on 19 Aug 2009, 3:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 3:14 am

Sand wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Some people have an unfortunate genetic lack of a funnybone that even a diet high in calcium cannot help. Perhaps Christ could persuade you to lighten up. A lamp to a lampoon.

When you make fun out of people's beliefs, they aren't going to find it funny. Calling them names in a quasi-cryptic manner isn't going to make them laugh either.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 3:31 am

Sand doesn't mind
What you find in his mind
May be screwy or quite blooey
Or straight from Uncle Louis
Or perhaps a bit unkind.
But the unconventionality
Of multidimensionality
Can warp most clear perceptions
Into weird cockeyed deceptions.
So, OK, let it go
Why not let it go?
As these off topic discussions
Can lead to repercussions,
Let it go, let it go,
What you think might be so.
Could be a yes, could be a no.
Let it go.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 3:35 am

I'm willing to let it go, but are you willing to decrease the tidbits from your mind which are perhaps a bit unkind?

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 3:36 am

Sand wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

The issue is that I believe it would be fair to regard statemtents such as this to be ironic and inconsistent given the accusation of bigotry, I mean, it isn't surprising that a person being X is accusing (stating an obvious fact according to him if I must say) someone else of being X and the problem of justifying his apparent Xed behaviour.

Last edited by greenblue on 19 Aug 2009, 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 3:37 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Sand wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

When you make fun out of people's beliefs, they aren't going to find it funny. Calling them names in a quasi-cryptic manner isn't going to make them laugh either.

I'm terribly sorry But Shadowgirl, frankly, seems to be, to me, a nut of high order. This is not an insult, it is a simple personal evaluation and perhaps not something anyone else might agree with. In all likelihood she probably feels I am likewise crazy. That's her privilege and I take no umbrage.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 4:18 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
I'm willing to let it go, but are you willing to decrease the tidbits from your mind which are perhaps a bit unkind?

If you find my mind unkind
I really do not mind.
I say what seems to me the truth
And I'm sorry if it looks without ruth.
I might be quite irrascible
With some comments unclassible,
I have to speak my mind without mumbles.
If I'm inclined to shout
With a modicum of clout,
That's just the way (you see) my cookie crumbles.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 4:25 am

Sand wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

If you find my mind unkind
I really do not mind.
I say what seems to me the truth
And I'm sorry if it looks without ruth.
I might be quite irrascible
With some comments unclassible,
I have to speak my mind without mumbles.
If I'm inclined to shout
With a modicum of clout,
That's just the way (you see) my cookie crumbles.

In everyone's own mind what they think is the truth.
It is not a question of honesty or integrity.
Rather it is a matter of respectfulness.
All of us accept our own views as truth,
for if we thought our thoughts were lies
then that thought might as well be a lie too.
But it is not really that we hold our thoughts as true,
but that when we share them with others
that we don't blast the heck outta eachother
blurting out our honest thoughts and feelings
as if honesty would made up for incivility.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 4:35 am

Sometimes it's a relief
To make fun of a belief
When beliefs are simply fragile and naive.
A belief is not a person
To never put a curse on,
It's just a bunch of stuff you might believe.
If it's not something of sense
It should acquire no defense.
It has no right to scam and deceive.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 4:48 am

Ancalagon wrote:
gina-ghettoprincess wrote:
It makes no sense to side with one person over another before you hear both sides of the story.

Sure it does. You might have to change your mind after you hear the other side, but there's no reason to assume you're wrong beforehand. You might be wrong, but then again, you might be right. You can't even guess how likely it is that you're right without looking into the evidence.

Quote:
In your example, you imply that in an argument between an atheist and a Christian, you would automatically be on the Christian's side even before hearing what values that particular Christian holds. This is stereotyping and assuming that every Christian thinks like you and every atheist thinks the opposite.

It is stereotyping, but not all stereotyping is bad. I know what most Christians believe, and it matches what I believe more often than it matches what most atheists believe. So it's a pretty good bet, if I don't know otherwise, that I'm likely to agree with the Christian. If I don't know any of the specifics, then I might as well bet with the better odds.

That sounds suspiciously like, I don't know, bias.

Quote:
a particular tendency or inclination, esp. one that prevents unprejudiced consideration of a question; prejudice.

If you don't know any specifics, you will have to figure out what the specifics are.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 5:06 am

Sand wrote:
Sometimes it's a relief
To make fun of a belief
A belief is not a person
To never put a curse on,

But that's the thing, each person holds their own views as true.
You see your side as the correct side, which is naive in itself.
All people see what they do as true, it doesn't make it true,
but to all people the appearance of truth seems to be the same as truth.
For you, you have justified bashing others' views.
Dude, do you know how secure that seems? It doesn't.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 5:53 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Sand wrote:
Sometimes it's a relief
To make fun of a belief
A belief is not a person
To never put a curse on,

But that's the thing, each person holds their own views as true.
You see your side as the correct side, which is naive in itself.
All people see what they do as true, it doesn't make it true,
but to all people the appearance of truth seems to be the same as truth.
For you, you have justified bashing others' views.
Dude, do you know how secure that seems? It doesn't.

I find it highly amusing that you should think I care about giving out impressions of my security. Be reassured I am not torn by doubts, I prize them highly and only feel others should be strong enough to seek doubt as a treasure trove of new insights and discoveries where petrified minds only cling to what they believe to be secure out of fear and ignorance blocked over with papier mache´ flimsy fabrications. One must sail the seas of doubts and fish continuously for new viewpoints and wonderful strange ideas. That's the true adventure of being alive.