Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

number5
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 9:47 am

This fine clip came to my attention today. It's an interview (news, not opinion time slot) of Rep. Weiner by Megyn Kelly. I've come to expect slant and bias from Fox, but I found this sort of childish unprofessionalism to be truly jaw dropping. Stick around 'til the end - it gets really interesting from about 5 minutes on.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdkizDf4Ne8&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

number5
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 9:49 am

Let me try that again...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdkizDf4Ne8[/youtube]

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 10:14 am

I actually got thee changing computers.

Journalists
Legal profdesionals
Educators
Police
Military
and on and on:

They should not have or should not allow to appear in their operations any political leanikng.

They - and people generally - should have had politeness drilled into them.

There is far too much partisan political rudeness around today.

Why do people allow the media to hire people for their offensiveness [political stance cannot excuse it]?

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 11:58 am

@ Philologos

I have to disagree with you as long as Journalists are honest about their political leanings and when they give their opinion they make it clear it is their opinion, then I don't have a problem with them having a political leaning. There is an issue when news agencies try to paint their opinions as facts and try to act like they are 100% objective when they really aren't.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 12:17 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
@ Philologos

I have to disagree with you as long as Journalists are honest about their political leanings and when they give their opinion they make it clear it is their opinion, then I don't have a problem with them having a political leaning. There is an issue when news agencies try to paint their opinions as facts and try to act like they are 100% objective when they really aren't.

What you mean is, you don't have a problem with a journalist having political biases as long as they are right-wing.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 12:24 pm

Orwell wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
@ Philologos

What you mean is, you don't have a problem with a journalist having political biases as long as they are right-wing.

Uh Glenn Beck is a commentator, not a reporter, it his job to give his opinions for starters. Rush Limbaugh is a commentator, O'Reilly is a Commentator, Hannity is a Commentator.

One of the problems of the cases left wingers make when attacking Fox News is that they go after Commentators as in how dare the commentators give their opinions... :roll:

Why don't you read Bernie Goldberg's book Bias and his sequel Arrogance, sometime.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 12:33 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
@ Philologos

Politics in the editorial, fine. Politics in the headlines and the "all the news that is fit to print", no.

On the pretense of objectivity among journalists, and academics, and certain others, I of course heartily agree.

One - a human - has viewpoints and opinions. This is inevitable. One - a human - has an obligation to recognize this and to be scrupulously even handed where only fairness is appropriate.

I once was fired [long story] so that two colleagues could fight over which man's wife would get my position. This is bias where no bias should be.

I never took a course from my father - in order to prove he had no nepotistic inclinations he would have failed me. This is inverted bias where no bias should be.

I always strove to evaluate each student's work on its internal merits, whatever I thought [and I did] of the student or his topic or his theoretical stance. If Chomsky himself handed me a paper with internally consistent reasoning and appropriate use of the evidence adduced written clearly in English or any of several other languages I would give him an A.

I don't know if he would do as much for me.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 12:50 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
@ Philologos

Uh Glenn Beck is a commentator, not a reporter, it his job to give his opinions for starters. Rush Limbaugh is a commentator, O'Reilly is a Commentator, Hannity is a Commentator.

One of the problems of the cases left wingers make when attacking Fox News is that they go after Commentators as in how dare the commentators give their opinions... :roll:

Why don't you read Bernie Goldberg's book Bias and his sequel Arrogance, sometime.

The video posted by the OP is a clip of Megyn Kelly, who pretends to be a reporter.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 12:57 pm

Orwell wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
@ Philologos

The video posted by the OP is a clip of Megyn Kelly, who pretends to be a reporter.

Megyn Kelly has also been a lawyer and does legal analysis concerning some stories that Fox News covers... That said it is also her job to ask hard hitting questions like any good reporter.

number5
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 1:09 pm

Opinion has no place in news. Anyone who actually prefers the reporter's opinion to be injected into the story is either too lazy, unwilling, or unable to think for themselves.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 2:28 pm

number5 wrote:
Opinion has no place in news. Anyone who actually prefers the reporter's opinion to be injected into the story is either too lazy, unwilling, or unable to think for themselves.

Better the reporter is honest about their opinion so the people listening or reading knows that there may be a slant, than a reporter claim they are objective and try to hide their lack of objectivity and report their opinion as the facts.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 2:50 pm

Inuyasha:

"Megyn Kelly has also been a lawyer and does legal analysis concerning some stories that Fox News covers... That said it is also her job to ask hard hitting questions like any good reporter."

It may or may not be the reporter's job to ask hard hitting questions. I would myself prefer thoughtful searching questions, listening to and exploring the answer, but there are different preferred, de gustibus nil nisi bonum and all.

But - I heard the legal analysis, which wpould have been fine save that it was presented with beyond Perry Masson in your face rudeness. Hard to believe my gran\dfather the judge would have let that tone and those interruptions go on in his court.

Whatever one may think of the issue and the merits of the case, she did not do an interview, she did not present a viewpoint, she put on a performance in line with Professional Wrestling standards.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 4:20 pm

I am willing to agree with you, Inuyasha, about Beck and Limbaugh. Editorial content can be as one-sided, biased and partisan as the publisher is willing to have it.

But reporting is another ball of wax. Professionals are called upon to leave their personal biases at the door all the time. I treat every patient who is assigned to me that I am competent to treat. A lawyer is obliged to serve a client's interests so long as those interests do not violate the lawyer's ethical obligations to the court.

A journalist is no different--reporting the news requires an objective approach to research, interviewing, analysis and synthesis. Reporters are not privileged to insert their personal biases. Otherwise it ceases to be news and becomes agitprop.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 4:54 pm

visagrunt wrote:
I am willing to agree with you, Inuyasha, about Beck and Limbaugh. Editorial content can be as one-sided, biased and partisan as the publisher is willing to have it.

But reporting is another ball of wax. Professionals are called upon to leave their personal biases at the door all the time. I treat every patient who is assigned to me that I am competent to treat. A lawyer is obliged to serve a client's interests so long as those interests do not violate the lawyer's ethical obligations to the court.

A journalist is no different--reporting the news requires an objective approach to research, interviewing, analysis and synthesis. Reporters are not privileged to insert their personal biases. Otherwise it ceases to be news and becomes agitprop.

Here is the problem though, everyone has an opinion. Is it better for someone to be open about their opinion so that people know straight up about it or should they try to hide it where they subconsciously inject their bias into the reporting as news?

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 4:59 pm

Quote:
how dare the commentators give their opinions... Rolling Eyes

Said opinions are there to provide average joe Republican with opinions without doing any research of his own in any case. Thus I think commentators are the lowest form of journalistic garbage

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 5:14 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Quote:
how dare the commentators give their opinions... Rolling Eyes

Said opinions are there to provide average joe Republican with opinions without doing any research of his own in any case. Thus I think commentators are the lowest form of journalistic garbage

:roll:

What part of I do my own research and it happened to fit what said Conservative Commentators are saying do you not understand?