Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 12:00 am

Goes from being a demented conservative rhetoric movie to a demented liberal rhetoric.

He attacks minorities and their own struggles in the beginning and attacks the perceived wealthy and their riches toward the end. And yet no wisdom is gained anywhere in between. It's quite pitiful of a movie.

But I guess it's to be expected from the guy who put nipples on Batman rather than actually bring to life complex, compelling characters that resided within the source material.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 1:58 am

skafather84 wrote:
Goes from being a demented conservative rhetoric movie to a demented liberal rhetoric.

He attacks minorities and their own struggles in the beginning and attacks the perceived wealthy and their riches toward the end. And yet no wisdom is gained anywhere in between. It's quite pitiful of a movie.

But I guess it's to be expected from the guy who put nipples on Batman rather than actually bring to life complex, compelling characters that resided within the source material.

Is it male dominance that permits nipples on Batman but not on Janet Jackson?

NarcissusSavage
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 2:33 am

skafather84 wrote:

I don't recommend movies for gaining wisdom. Documentaries maybe, maybe.

Movies are for entertainment, and watching a man piece by piece lose whatever shreds of sanity he had left and as he breaks down and strolls through LA kickin the s**t outta anyone/thing that happens to cross his path, is moderately entertaining.

He snapped, his complaints originate from his own failings. He deflects his anger towards everything else in his life that didn't go smoothly. So, yea, he has conflicting points of view, if you try to understand him rationally. But, he is far from rational.

Review it again, with the understanding that it's for entertainment, and that the main character...is insane. Then, you might enjoy it a lil.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 4:52 am

Overall I think the deeper aspects of the film are probably accidents. About the character's existence and the movie being meaningless, though, I think that was the idea. The guy doesn't understand the world around him; he used to have a place in the world, but it's dissolved and so he feels cheated & lied to by the world. --The cop at the end has to tell him, "They lie to everybody. They lie to the fish!" In a way his biggest problem is being naiive, and maybe spoiled by his former life (I've noticed IRL that people for whom "the/a system" works do tend to tend up thinking life is more fair than it really is -- and it shatters their world view if "the system" screws them over (in ways that others always knew was possible).)

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 7:25 am

I think of -Falling Down- as Dilbert Runs Amok.

What would Dilbert do if he had his craw full of the cubical world and the pointy haired boss?

ruveyn

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 8:24 am

Sand wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

Is it male dominance that permits nipples on Batman but not on Janet Jackson?

:lol: I'm sorry, that's really funny. And true. Having seen men topless, I can confirm... they really do have nipples.

But to be fair, Schumacher did truly ruin Batman. This was one of the few films that was so bad I was suicidal by the end. (The other English language one that springs to mind is Star Gate... in both of these I was so distressed by the sheer rubbishness of everything that I was crying at various points. You may think I'm kidding, but I'm not.)

Falling Down I've only seen once, and it's not as bad as Batman. It strikes me as a horrible mess though... but I have considered that it may be meant to be a horrible mess. The character is breaking down, so it makes sense for the plot to be chaotic and unsensible.

However... I've not watched it since, and hadn't given it much thought. If I watch it again, I'll try to pay more attention.

I'm never watching Batman again though. In fact, I'm never watching ANY Batman again, ever, so long as I live. That's how bad Batman and his nipples really were...

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 10:02 am

I doubt that it is so much male dominance as it is our Puritan heritage.

If you take a poll, you will find more men than women in favour of permitting women to expose their nipples in public.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 11:29 am

The Frank Grimes episode of the Simpsons was influenced by Falling Down.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 11:30 am

pandabear wrote:
I doubt that it is so much male dominance as it is our Puritan heritage.

Exactly the point I was getting across in my relationship threads.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 11:33 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
I'll have to rewatch it...

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 11:37 am

mgran wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

If you go on www.snpp.com and click "Episode Capsules", the capsules have priceless info on each episode.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 8:52 pm

Am I the only one who thinks that falling down said a lot about today's society.

The character isn't rational but it's one of those films where everyone is flawed and the action results from those flaws. Muriel's wedding is the same. (no.. really).

Anyway, the flaws of the character are pretty obvious.
The flaws of the characters who interact with him are also pretty obvious.

Personally, I find the flaws of society to be the best bits...

Who has gone into McDonalds and said "What's wrong with this picture?". I know I have.

Then there's the road works... "I'll give you something to fix" - priceless.

The other interesting thing is that the character starts off with a briefcase but society gradually arms him.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 8:56 pm

gbollard wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks that falling down said a lot about today's society.

The character isn't rational but it's one of those films where everyone is flawed and the action results from those flaws. Muriel's wedding is the same. (no.. really).

Anyway, the flaws of the character are pretty obvious.
The flaws of the characters who interact with him are also pretty obvious.

Personally, I find the flaws of society to be the best bits...

Who has gone into McDonalds and said "What's wrong with this picture?". I know I have.

Then there's the road works... "I'll give you something to fix" - priceless.

The other interesting thing is that the character starts off with a briefcase but society gradually arms him.

The only thing it really represents is someone who believed the lies of television too much...to the point of expecting fast food to look as good as the pictures and advertisement and expecting low-foot traffic convenience stores in the ghetto to have reasonably priced items. It's a severe example of divorce from reality but because it hits both liberal and conservative points, neither side really sees it for that but rather as a source to amplify their own disenchantment with the world around them.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 10:27 pm

skafather84 wrote:
The only thing it really represents is someone who believed the lies of television too much...to the point of expecting fast food to look as good as the pictures and advertisement and expecting low-foot traffic convenience stores in the ghetto to have reasonably priced items. It's a severe example of divorce from reality but because it hits both liberal and conservative points, neither side really sees it for that but rather as a source to amplify their own disenchantment with the world around them.

I don't know about that... is it really too much to ask?

We have some fast food outlets which produce an approximation of food here but last night my wife got a burger with an black hair in it (she isn't black haired).

It was a new "Mighty Angus" (named after our premium beef) burger.

She went back and complained about her mighty black hairy angus.... (it was funny to say)...

Metal_Man
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 10:47 pm

The line where he says, "I did everything I was supposed to do" says what the movie was about. He came of age during the conformist 1950's and was told if he followed the rules he would be rewarded. Of course that didn't happen.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2009, 2:38 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
mgran wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

If you go on www.snpp.com and click "Episode Capsules", the capsules have priceless info on each episode.
Thank you... I'll do that. :)