Page 2 of 11 [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 4:26 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
That's the thing. Very few people have the same interests as me, and the ones who do are almost all male.

Your lack of friends has nothing to do with your religion. It has to do with the fact that you are an aspie. Its almost a rule when it comes to aspies. I'm on facebook and I have about 15 friends. A girl that came after me now has about 500 friends. She's Christian, so I don't think they worry about that.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 5:01 pm

As a liberal and a confirmed atheist I find myself in the odd position of being in total disagreement with much of your stated beliefs but also think you are moving in a very wrong direction to deny what you feel is correct and true in order to find friendship amongst people with whom you have nothing in common. This is a fake relationship and probably will make you angry with yourself and with the people you are trying to attract. There must be social groups, clubs, discussion groups etc. where you can find people who agree with your ideas.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 5:16 pm

Sand wrote:
As a liberal and a confirmed atheist I find myself in the odd position of being in total disagreement with much of your stated beliefs but also think you are moving in a very wrong direction to deny what you feel is correct and true in order to find friendship amongst people with whom you have nothing in common. This is a fake relationship and probably will make you angry with yourself and with the people you are trying to attract. There must be social groups, clubs, discussion groups etc. where you can find people who agree with your ideas.

And as a confirmed Christian who liberals accuse of being conservative, and conservatives accuse of being liberal, I find myself completely agreeing with you Sand. Not because I think the OP is going to burn in hell if he denies Christianity... but because I don't believe anyone should base their life on something that they know or believe to be a lie.

There is no point pretending to be Christian to get on with Christians. There is no point pretending to be an atheist to get on with atheists. There is no point pretending to be a Democrat when you agree with the Republicans.

I think everyone here, no matter their belief system, is saying, "To thy own self be true."

And given we're all aspies (at least, I think we all are) we all have a good idea why you feel lonely and out of place in NT society.

If you feel lonely now, just think how much worse you'll feel if you lose yourself somewhere along the way.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 5:35 pm

It is possible to have liberal/atheist friends without compromising your whole belief system. You could be a sell out to try to make friends, but you'd still have aspergers and you'd still have the same trouble making friends.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 5:39 pm

That's true.

For example, I'm a vegan, but most of my friends are meat eaters. Most people who hate me are also meat eaters... but if I'd changed my diet to try and compromise and get on with them I'd a) have betrayed my principles, and b) not have made any friends.

Real friends don't mind that you're different. Your belief system is not the problem here.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 5:56 pm

I think it all depends on why you're a Christian in the first place. If it's just the default because that's how you were raised and you don't actually believe it, then you already gave it up and are merely renouncing a now-innacurate label.

But if you actually believe the central premise of Christianity, a premise shared by all denominations from conservative Christians on the right to liberation theology Christians on the left, then you really shouldn't try to do this. Like other posters say, regardless of their own beliefs, it wouldn't win you any new friends and you would be miserable pretending you didn't believe something that you actually do believe.

It sounds like what you actually want to renounce is hanging around with conservative Christians. You can renounce that without renouncing Christianity itself. You should hold tight to your belief in Jesus (assuming you have that belief, or you wouldn't be a Christian) but let go of the stereotype that all liberal fans of certian TV shows who also are ok with premarital sex are therefore anti-Christian. They may say things against conservative Christian groups or politicians in your area but that doesn't make them anti-Christian per se. It just makes them anti-whatever-the-local-conservative-strain-is. Some of them may be Christians themselves.

Keep your Christian beliefs. Renounnce your stereotypes.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 7:48 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
That's the thing. Very few people have the same interests as me, and the ones who do are almost all male.
My husband and I may share some priorities, but no interests...none at all; never have, never will. I have only had a couple of true friends in life, but cannot think of any interest I shared with them either. No biggie. :D

Metal_Man
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 8:00 pm

I've known a few liberals along the way who were very devout Christians so that's not your problem. The problem is being so closed minded and rigidly adhering to stereotypes. Aspies rarely have freinds. Maybe you need to leave Texas.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 8:14 pm

From how you're complaining about it, it sounds what needs to change more than a benign choice like religion would be to change your perspective and change your approach. Announcing you are or aren't Christian won't change your problems...it'll just redirect them elsewhere. You can affect change in yourself beyond some petty labeling. I believe in you.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 10:38 pm

I tend to see Shrek as my hero--I'd much rather live by myself in a swamp, with no-one interfering with me, than be accepted by anyone. Christians and non-Christians can both go and bugger themselves--that's my motto.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 1:25 am

I was going to say to wait because Sand would probably show up and tell you not to do such a thing: He might be a life long atheist, but he'd say rejecting your core values will never make you happy.

But it seems he already did. Thats a pretty big concession from a man who would like to see everyone to adopt rationalism, but I think the three of us would agree that the right course of action is usually the hardest one. So if Sand the atheist says "dont give up your religion"... then dont. It galled him to say it, but he did.

I do too.

I am speaking from experience as someone that has in the past been fairly religious. The transition to a life based on internal morality isnt easy and you certainly wont find yourself very comfortable for some time. The deeper your old faith is, the longer it takes.

There is a saying that an atheist is someone with no invisible means of support. The converse is also true: an atheist will not try to stand on anything intangible. From this comes a certain sort of clarity and confidence, but I dont think it is any greater than the confidence of someone sure of their fate(both sides are pretty sure). But that middle ground leaves you in a sort of quagmire of self doubt. You will careen from one extreme to the other at times.

Until you mostly resolve that, you wont fit either group.

One thing you might consider is travel. People in new areas and different cultures can be pretty accepting of strangers. They will accept your unusualness as a result of you being foreign. In some circles they will be excited about meeting someone considerably different from them. They will prize your individuality.

I dont know what to say. Nobody was ever made happy by pretending to be what they are not. It will eat at you.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 1:56 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Very few Christians have the same interests (animated sitcoms, indie/artsy films, traveling, outdoor activities)

Why wouldn't they like indie films? too "progresive"?

Quote:
I have had negative experiences with NTs, so I feel I would do better with another Aspie.

I also have, but I believe there is no much difference between NTs and aspies, as people are people, and well, I have had bad experiences with NTs, but with aspies, I'm not sure, it seems that aspies may be less tolerant to some issues, in that regard, I wonder if a NT may be more tolerant and understanding of some of my aspects than an aspie.

Quote:
I am against big government and pro-business, and I supported the war in Iraq, which puts me at odds with many liberal people.

Hmmm, given that you are thinking about renouncing Christianity, how about these views? just curious, would you be willing to renounce them as well?

Quote:
I constantly force myself to adapt to specific cliques, because being uncliqueable will hinder any acceptance by anybody.

I prefer not to be any part of any clique, but yeah, that probably undermines socializing a bit, not that I would care.

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 2:43 am

When I was a pot smoking atheist, I had dozens of friends, we all had the same interests. However, they all had a bad influence on me.

Now that I'm a conservative Baha'i, I have only one good friend, who lives an hour's drive away. He's soon moving further away, a two hour's drive. He's been nothing but the best influence on me. Initially, we had no similar interests, but now, his interests are mine, and my interests are his.

My life is now much better than it was before.

These decisions can have a profound impact on our lives.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 3:18 am

Fuzzy wrote:
I was going to say to wait because Sand would probably show up and tell you not to do such a thing: He might be a life long atheist, but he'd say rejecting your core values will never make you happy.

But it seems he already did. Thats a pretty big concession from a man who would like to see everyone to adopt rationalism, but I think the three of us would agree that the right course of action is usually the hardest one. So if Sand the atheist says "dont give up your religion"... then dont. It galled him to say it, but he did.

I do too.

I am speaking from experience as someone that has in the past been fairly religious. The transition to a life based on internal morality isnt easy and you certainly wont find yourself very comfortable for some time. The deeper your old faith is, the longer it takes.

There is a saying that an atheist is someone with no invisible means of support. The converse is also true: an atheist will not try to stand on anything intangible. From this comes a certain sort of clarity and confidence, but I dont think it is any greater than the confidence of someone sure of their fate(both sides are pretty sure). But that middle ground leaves you in a sort of quagmire of self doubt. You will careen from one extreme to the other at times.

Until you mostly resolve that, you wont fit either group.

One thing you might consider is travel. People in new areas and different cultures can be pretty accepting of strangers. They will accept your unusualness as a result of you being foreign. In some circles they will be excited about meeting someone considerably different from them. They will prize your individuality.

I dont know what to say. Nobody was ever made happy by pretending to be what they are not. It will eat at you.

My concern is of a larger viewpoint than religion alone. In essence the world is a very difficult place to discover what I consider true and my prime source is scientific enquiry which takes much trouble, thought, experiment, validation and rejection of false concepts. Certain human activities such as religion, politics, commerce etc. are replete with supplying and maintaining false and unverifiable viewpoints to the advantage of the purveyors of these viewpoints for their own usually disreputable ends. I find this utterly revolting as it ends in impoverishing, injuring and killing thousands of people throughout the world.

But this fakery cannot be dispelled by merely claiming to disbelieve in it for other means. There must be a genuine understanding and acceptance that fakery is not acceptable. This end is not simple nor easy and it must be undertaken with a valued sense of honesty and integrity or it merely succumbs to another example of fakery.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 3:23 am

Khan_Sama wrote:
When I was a pot smoking atheist, I had dozens of friends, we all had the same interests. However, they all had a bad influence on me.

Now that I'm a conservative Baha'i, I have only one good friend, who lives an hour's drive away. He's soon moving further away, a two hour's drive. He's been nothing but the best influence on me. Initially, we had no similar interests, but now, his interests are mine, and my interests are his.

My life is now much better than it was before.

These decisions can have a profound impact on our lives.

What kind of conserative? IMO, and in experience there is the mob mentality that goes along with the conservative theory.

For instance, it was ok to kill jews and other so-called inferiors to his race b/c Hitler said so.

I guess I expect that from a so-called conservative.

Last edited by MissConstrue on 06 Sep 2009, 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 4:42 am

Metal_Man wrote:
Maybe you need to leave Texas.

I was thinking the same thing.

BTW, I like that sig you have.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!