The stupidest thing you've heard about religion/politics?

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2009, 10:54 am

skafather84 wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
I actually witnessed such things in person, since I was alive and aware at the time.

You were in Hawaii for Pearl Harbor? Did you race down to the docks to try and help?

Since he was born in 1936 he was 5 years old in 1941. Not exactly very capable. I was 15 but in Manhattan and also not available.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2009, 11:56 am

Sand wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
I actually witnessed such things in person, since I was alive and aware at the time.

You were in Hawaii for Pearl Harbor? Did you race down to the docks to try and help?

Since he was born in 1936 he was 5 years old in 1941. Not exactly very capable. I was 15 but in Manhattan and also not available.

So my question becomes: how is his "presence" for Pearl Harbor any different than mine for 9/11? I saw similar things to what he described and unlike his generation, mine had the attacks streamed directly into the classrooms as it was happening.

I really wouldn't be surprised if there was a similar reaction from people with the Kennedy assassination as well (<thought process>join the military and get back at those damned bastard commies for killing our president</thought process>).

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2009, 11:56 am

My granpappy was over in Germany the time it happened.

Anyway....just thought I'd share....

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2009, 2:47 pm

Sand wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

No. I witnessed relatives, friends, neighbors and ordinary folk who would not seek to harm a flea on Dec 6, 1941 cry for blood on Dec 8, 1941. The effect of Pearl Harbor on the mindset of the American people was profound and radical.

ruveyn

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2009, 4:29 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Sand wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

No. I witnessed relatives, friends, neighbors and ordinary folk who would not seek to harm a flea on Dec 6, 1941 cry for blood on Dec 8, 1941. The effect of Pearl Harbor on the mindset of the American people was profound and radical.

ruveyn

You weren't even old enough to really comprehend the changes in them rather less the political leanings previous to it and where their knowledge of the world was before such a point. Most proles cry for blood at most anything rather less something like Pearl Harbor, the sinking of the Lusitania, or 9/11.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2009, 5:36 pm

[quote="skafather84"

You weren't even old enough to really comprehend the changes in them rather less the political leanings previous to it and where their knowledge of the world was before such a point. Most proles cry for blood at most anything rather less something like Pearl Harbor, the sinking of the Lusitania, or 9/11.[/quote]

I lived through 4 years of war, 1941 to 1945 , ages 5 to 9. I comprehended what was going on quite well. 6,7,8 year old kids are not stupid or blind. I felt the full blast of the racist propaganda aim against the Japanese. By the time the war was concluded it was hard to think of Japanese as human beings. The hatred of the Japanese was in the very air we breathed.

ruveyn

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2009, 5:48 pm

ruveyn wrote:
6,7,8 year old kids are not stupid

Actually, they are. It's why they can't vote.

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2009, 6:26 pm

skafather84 wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

Learn the definition of stupid. And it has nothing to do with why they can't vote or the majority of adults wouldn't be able to vote.

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3140151/ratings = My Movie Vote History

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2009, 6:36 pm

mikebw wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

Learn the definition of stupid. And it has nothing to do with why they can't vote or the majority of adults wouldn't be able to vote.

It's more that they're not old enough to be responsible for their own decisions and can't comprehend a lot of what goes on because they're not experienced enough in life. Not "stupid" but that was his word because he wanted to polarize the point. Still remains that no child would be able to comprehend what goes on in war rather less comprehend how society around him is reacting beyond the mere actions that he retroactively remembers as an adult.

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2009, 1:59 am

skafather84 wrote:
mikebw wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

It's more that they're not old enough to be responsible for their own decisions and can't comprehend a lot of what goes on because they're not experienced enough in life. Not "stupid" but that was his word because he wanted to polarize the point. Still remains that no child would be able to comprehend what goes on in war rather less comprehend how society around him is reacting beyond the mere actions that he retroactively remembers as an adult.

So, your argument is null, whether or not kids could comprehend whatever loops you think they can't comprehend(questionable) and/or when a person comprehends something that has happened in the past have no bearing on the point that ordinarily peaceful people will turn ravage when they feel passionate, as Ruveyn has experienced, as have several others.

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3140151/ratings = My Movie Vote History

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2009, 1:47 pm

it'd be hard to define the most stupid thing said, there's just one that tops another every day...;)

I remember someone, somewhere around here who kept connecting the Middle East with Numerology, but I haven't seen them around in a while...;)

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 7:57 am

OK, this is just too stupid. I read a thread on Christian Apologetics' Research Ministry called Warning Atheists...reading this may undermine your faith. Unfortunately only members can read the threads.

junkyardboy from CARM wrote:

Most of us would ask "So? What has this to do with the rapture, kings or whatever?".

It gets better. He makes the following post later in the thread:

Quote:
your always demanding proof.
i wanted you guys to be the first to know.
stay tuned to the months ahead.
will taiwan be back to the chinese next?
perhaps the baltic states back under the workers paradise.

atheists claim to know good, so you should learn to recognize evil because its coming.

Since the PRC has been in control of Taiwan since 1949, that's like asking when the Jews will finally have their own land. :lol:

b9
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 9:18 am

my aunt was an avid follower of the jehova's witnesses.
she used to go to church in car pools.
one of the people who was a designated driver gave her passengers a terrifying journey one day.
her passengers (including my aunt) asked her to pay more attention to where she was driving.
she said " don't worry! the lord's hands are on the wheel"
that driver was killed in an accident caused by herself a few weeks later.

blind faith is what lemmings have as they leap off the cliff.

DirkWillems
Raven
Raven

19 Sep 2009, 2:34 pm

stupidest thing regarding religion: religion is the cause of all wars in all of history/religion is the greatest cause of death

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2009, 11:08 pm

Actually, this is where our Autism can come in handy. Since we take things literally, we can look at any religious document (ie the bible) and pick apart its contradictions and fallacies. For example, if Adam and Eve are the first of our species, then it can be concluded that all modern humans are the product of incest (which would account for a lot of our stupidity). Some people have even documented these inconsistencies.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2009, 11:12 pm

PlatedDrake wrote:
Actually, this is where our Autism can come in handy. Since we take things literally, we can look at any religious document (ie the bible) and pick apart its contradictions and fallacies. For example, if Adam and Eve are the first of our species, then it can be concluded that all modern humans are the product of incest (which would account for a lot of our stupidity). Some people have even documented these inconsistencies.

It is as foolish to argue against the idiocies in religious doctrine as to believe in them.