How the USA is regarded from the rest of the world

Page 20 of 23 [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 8:53 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Joker wrote:
The rest of the world has very good reasons not to like America.

Yes. Most Americans are not covered with sh*t and most Americans have a pot to pee in. That is sufficient reason for the dislike.

ruveyn

Some of us are richer than you, individually. Honestly I can't think of anything to be envious about with regards to the US. You have better cable service. That's about it. In every other way I can think, everything looks just a little worse down there. Always looks like you're playing East Germany to our West Germany.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 9:05 pm

edgewaters wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Joker wrote:

Yes. Most Americans are not covered with sh*t and most Americans have a pot to pee in. That is sufficient reason for the dislike.

ruveyn

Some of us are richer than you, individually. Honestly I can't think of anything to be envious about with regards to the US. You have better cable service. That's about it. In every other way I can think, everything looks just a little worse down there. Always looks like you're playing East Germany to our West Germany.

We have better athelets then the rest of the world. That is why we dominate the olypimcs :wink:

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 9:16 pm

edgewaters wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Joker wrote:

ruveyn

Gee, I guess I must be hallucinating when I see all those cars with Canadian license plates on I-95. Is there another province at the other end I don't know about?
:roll:

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 9:18 pm

Raptor wrote:
edgewaters wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Joker wrote:

ruveyn

Gee, I guess I must be hallucinating when I see all those cars with Canadian license plates on I-95. Is there another province at the other end I don't know about?

It is kinda funny how so many people think all americans are stupid.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 9:22 pm

Raptor wrote:

Lot of people go to buy cheap junk because your economy makes stuff more affordable for us. Like how everything is cheaper when you go to the Carribean (only less extreme). Plus there are the Snowbirds, all the people who like to vacation in Florida for the weather, which, is also like going to the Carribean (but again, less extreme of a difference).

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 9:31 pm

edgewaters wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Lot of people go to buy cheap junk because your economy makes stuff more affordable for us. Like how everything is cheaper when you go to the Carribean (only less extreme). Plus there are the Snowbirds, all the people who like to vacation in Florida for the weather, which, is also like going to the Carribean (but again, less extreme of a difference).

Our economy really sucks.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 9:58 pm

Joker wrote:

At the moment. When I lived in Windsor though (late 90s), it looked like it was easier to be poor over there at that time. Provided you could work. It looked like there were always lots of low-end jobs being advertised in Michigan papers, and rent and everything else were much cheaper.

Take the jobs away though, or if you can't work ... yikes. So much more predatory, no functional safety net, so much crime, etc

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 10:00 pm

edgewaters wrote:
Joker wrote:

At the moment. When I lived in Windsor though (late 90s), it looked like it was easier to be poor over there at that time. Provided you could work. It looked like there were always lots of low-end jobs being advertised in Michigan papers, and rent and everything else were much cheaper.

Take the jobs away though, or if you can't work ... yikes. So much more predatory, no functional safety net, so much crime, etc

Americans don't like those jobs being a cashier at wal-mart isn't. Going to feed a family of two of three.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 10:03 pm

edgewaters wrote:
Joker wrote:

Oh we have a big safety net alrighty. The problem is that some, to put it mildly, of it's recipients use it as a hammock even in the best of times which screws the ones that really need it.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 10:05 pm

Raptor wrote:
edgewaters wrote:
Joker wrote:

Oh we have a big safety net alrighty. The problem is that some, to put it mildly, of it's recipients use it as a hammock even in the best of times which screws the ones that really need it.

QFT.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 10:10 pm

Joker wrote:

Compared to Greece or Spain?

I wish we were in as good shape as Germany appears to be.

ruveyn

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 10:13 pm

Joker wrote:
Americans don't like those jobs being a cashier at wal-mart isn't. Going to feed a family of two of three.

Yeah, sometimes forget that people are in different situations than me, and have kids to support etc. But crap jobs are like that anywhere. Be pretty hard to raise a family here on Wal-Mart pay too. They push the costs out on society, pay their workers less than a living wage and let the taxpayer pick up the difference through social programs, tax credits, etc. Externalizing their costs on society.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 10:26 pm

edgewaters wrote:
Joker wrote:

Yeah, sometimes forget that people are in different situations than me, and have kids to support etc. But crap jobs are like that anywhere. Be pretty hard to raise a family here on Wal-Mart pay too. They push the costs out on society, pay their workers less than a living wage and let the taxpayer pick up the difference through social programs, tax credits, etc. Externalizing their costs on society.

Yeah it's unfair to the middel class americans in my country.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 11:01 pm

Joker wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:

Your country used to have the best people in the world back when it was founded. People like Jefferson are worth 50000 Jesus.

Jesus neither owned for f*cked a slave. The same cannot be said of Jefferson.

ruveyn
My point stands.

I don't think your point stands at all.

Net results: Jefferson created a self-sustaining system that eventually led to the end of slavery. Jesus created a system that perpetuated it for 2000 years. If Jesus even existed.

again_with_this
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2012, 5:42 am

edgewaters wrote:

I've been lucky to have taken many road trips across North America. One thing Canada is lacking is a good trans-national highway, like our American Interstates.

There are some decent roads in Southern Ontario into Quebec, or around Vancouver. But nationally speaking, driving from the Maritimes out to BC was total hell, like I guess it would have been in the US pre-Interstate highways. If you want to drive from Toronto to Vancouver, you're better off crossing into the US and taking I-90 then doing it across Canada. The roads were particularly disastrous in the prairie, like Manitoba, Saskatchewan, eastern part of Alberta.

again_with_this
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2012, 5:49 am

Raptor wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
America has its good sides and its dark sides....The dark side...the killing of hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians examples like Hiroshima, and Nagasaki.

The alternative to nuking Hiroshima and Nagasaki was a land invasion of Japan. Given the military and civilian casualties during the battle for Okinawa I think we can pretty much rule out an un-opposed invasion of Japan to put it mildly. Not to mention how long it would take to complete it.

Two things I wanted to touch upon:

An American was visiting the bombing site in Nagasaki with a Japanese tour guide. The American became very emotional and said, "I'm so sorry for what my country did, there's no excuse." The Japanese guide laughed at him and said, "but if we had the bombs first, we would have done the same thing to you!"

Secondly, the war was winding down in Europe. With Germany conquered, the Soviets would have involved themselves with Japan had we attempted a land invasion. This most likely would have led to a partitioning of the country, just like what happened in Korea. And how did Soviet-backed North Korea turn out? 60 years later, it's still a hellhole.

The Japanese, in the long run, were very fortunate that they surrendered wholly and unconditionally to the United States alone, and that no other nation was involved in their Reconstruction.