Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2006, 12:48 pm

Some theories can be proven and others cannot. I have not seen any hard evidence to date for the Theory of Evolution. It cannot be tested and proven. It starts with a premise of Belief in it, then from that platform, interprets science.
Gravity, however, can be tested and proven. There may be more to learn about it, and it may behave differently at times due to unknown causes, but in general it is easy to prove that gravity works.
I do think that gravity can change over time (as our planet ages and changes, also the universe) and this could affect previous theories pertaing to gravity and the way in which it operates.

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2006, 1:41 pm

Evolution can be tested using gnats.

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2006, 9:30 am

Yes, I know. Gnats spring to life from dead, rotten meat, thereby proving that living things do come from nonliving things. This proves that we all came from rocks.

Let's end this debacle and throw these particular evangelicals from a building and see if their theory of gravity is correct or Mr. Newton's. (just kidding!)

Thagomizer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2006, 10:31 pm

Therein is another common misconception about evolution. The theory doesn't actually attempt to explain how life first came into being, but what happened afterwards. Granted, there are other branches of science working on answering the questions of biogenesis and the origin of the universe (physics, astronomy), but they are not evolutionary. Evolution doesn't require a creator, but it should be compatable with monotheism.

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2006, 1:01 pm

Thagomizer wrote: Evolution doesn't require a creator, but it should be compatable with monotheism.

Only compatible if you 'read into' the creation ideas other than intently expressed.
Evolution does teach that life (living organisms) sprang into being from rocks, or primordial soup or whatever. It doesn't answer the original origin, however.

Yes, I was duped, originally and didn't realize that The Onion was a completely satiracal publication concocted by a group of stoned college students! (just kidding, I don't personally know the creators of the mag., just guessing) :wink: