Page 1 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 4:29 pm

I got an idea that might not neccessarily solve the Israeli-Palestinian conflict but would defenitely save many lives.
Disarm Israel. Think about it, if Israel disarms, there's bound to be Jews who would start arming themselves but there wouldn't be an actually strong military force. Both sides would probably start shooting rockets at each other and stuff, but the number of people who get killed would be nothing commpared to the number of people killed by the current Israeli war machine.

TitusLucretiusCarus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 5:01 pm

we buy revolvers, they buy semi-automatics
we buy semi-automatics, they buy automatics
we buy automatics, they buy sub-machine guns

and so on it goes....

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 5:03 pm

jc6chan wrote:
I got an idea that might not neccessarily solve the Israeli-Palestinian conflict but would defenitely save many lives.
Disarm Israel. Think about it, if Israel disarms, there's bound to be Jews who would start arming themselves but there wouldn't be an actually strong military force. Both sides would probably start shooting rockets at each other and stuff, but the number of people who get killed would be nothing commpared to the number of people killed by the current Israeli war machine.

Disagree, regarding fewer lives lost. There might be more evenly divided casualties, but without the fear of massive repercussions I fear that both sides would continue to escalate with conventional arms. Even if you took all the weapons from both sides, it would not stop the violence.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

EC
Toucan
Toucan

03 Dec 2009, 5:07 pm

Wouldn't work, and would in turn start another war. Israel's weapons arguably serve to deter an open war. In other words, if you try to attack us, we will hit you back ten-fold.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 7:14 pm

jc6chan wrote:

That would just cause the genocide of Jewish and Christian Israelis.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 7:14 pm

If you disarmed Israel, they would immediately be invaded by pretty much every bordering Islamic country and the wholesale massacre of the entire Israeli Jewish population would quickly follow.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 8:52 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
jc6chan wrote:

That would just cause the genocide of Jewish and Christian Israelis.

See, thats what many people think but I disagree with that. The reason why there are so many terrorist attacks against Israel is because they are still occupying land and expanding settlements in the West Bank, displacing Palestinians from their homes in Palestinian land. Why doesn't Israel just lift the siege in Gaza and stop expanding settlements in the West Bank. They should give it a try. If the terrorists take advantage of this, then Israel has the right to take out those terrorists through military action. But Israel has done nothing to try and have peace with Palestinians. Yes, they left Gaza in 2005, but only to put a seige on them when Hamas won the elections. They didn't even give Hamas a chance to see if they want peace. Of course, there are always the really extreme that want to cause a genocide but I would say most Palestinians would want to live in peace with Israel IF Israel takes steps to try and have peace with the Palestinians. Afterall, who actually wants to anger Israel and cause Israel to treat Palestinians badly?

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2009, 8:55 pm

Orwell wrote:
If you disarmed Israel, they would immediately be invaded by pretty much every bordering Islamic country and the wholesale massacre of the entire Israeli Jewish population would quickly follow.

Egypt and Jordan and some other Arab countries are actually allies with Israel.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 12:44 am

Now the one million dollar question : Will Israel "want" to disarm itself /be disarmed? I think not. The same way after even they've been told to stop their colonization projects, they're giving us the finger and going on as they plan. (Especially with the current prime minister)

GreatCeleryStalk
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 5:29 am

Solution:

Put Israel and the Palestinian Authority territories in a giant bubble.

Replace their weapons with Nerf guns.

Problem solved.

TheHaywire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 7:09 am

Why would you want to do that to anybody?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 11:02 am

jc6chan wrote:

Disarm Israel???? You and what God?

The only way to disarm Israel is to obliterate it. Fortunately the Jewish people are dispersed and eventually a new State of Israel will be founded sometime in the future.

ruveyn

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 11:30 am

Even without all the factors associated with Israel and the general populace of the surrounding countries, it would be a bad idea for a single nation to disarm itself in general. It would even be a bad idea if all nations except for a single one disarmed.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 12:37 pm

jc6chan wrote:

Disarm Israel???? You and what God?

The only way to disarm Israel is to obliterate it. Fortunately the Jewish people are dispersed and eventually a new State of Israel will be founded sometime in the future.

ruveyn

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 2:03 pm

Thanks to Western interventionism, Israel essentially is a military platform run by recent transplants that dominates over 200 million natives... that is destabilising. Their WMD monopoly in particular is a problem. It would be like Buddhist Sri Lanka dominating India, for instance. It's like the Tutsis and Hima dominating Central Africa (oh, the US did arrange that, with 3 million dead during the past 20 years at least...) It's not natural.

So this policy of a "qualitative Israeli weapons supremacy" to be maintained and a steepening Israeli advantage in the balance of power is a great evil. I remember when Mandela tried to sell weapons to Syria, the Clinton administration screamed about how this would upset the "balance of power" and sabotage peace efforts, Mandela reminded Clinton that Syria helped him while Israel helped the Apartheid rulers. Anyway, a couple of weeks later, the Clinton Administration announced a new weapons deal with Israel that they boasted would tilt the balance of power further in Israel's favour...

If the balance of power was more natural, then perhaps Israel would think of peace. Did you know that polls in Israel showed the highest support for peace during the wave of suicide attacks in 2002? And, with Israel untouched by any significant violence in recent years, support for extremism is at its highest? Support for destroying the third holiest site in Islam, replacing it with the Third Temple, is at its highest. I think the Israelis project when they keep claiming that "Arabs understand only the language of force."

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 3:57 pm

xenon13 wrote:
I think the Israelis project when they keep claiming that "Arabs understand only the language of force."

That probably should read "Muslims understand only the language of force" and that, by and large, is true. Reasoning with fanatics is mostly a waste of time.

If thine enemy smite thee on thy cheek, break his arm off and beat him over the head with it.

ruveyn