Page 6 of 6 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Greshym_Shorkan
Toucan
Toucan

24 Jan 2010, 8:09 am

masterdieff wrote:
Greshym_Shorkan wrote:
I never said it was a given, just a possibility.

Don't you see? If you make an observation, then make a prediction based on that observation, in the world of science you're allowed to call people on their bulls**t or prove them right. Example: you notice that when you let go of a ball on planet Earth, it falls to the surface at 9.8 m/s^2. You decide to tell others that this is the case, and that if they drop something, it will fall at the same rate. Others are now able to test it for themselves, to see if your idea is any good. You can't do that with something that is 'supernatural'. This is not an opinion, it is part of the definition of 'supernatural'.

Let me again try to get my point across: you say there is a possibility of something supernatural existing. By thinking this, you accept that there may be things which no other human can understand, but that happen regardless. And that's the problem: in even accepting the possibility that stuff happens that can't be proved by people, you're essentially being a child with fingers in his ears going 'LA LA LA LA LA LA I can't hear you!! !'.

This is also known by such fascinating terms as: ignorance, psychosis, dogma, faith, belief, 'I've-just-got-a-feelin', and 'f**ck you, I'm right'. Whether you go the whole way or just accept the possibility of supernatural phenomena, you're being just as ignorant.

Although, you know what they say: ignorance is bliss.

Um, not only are YOU the one being ignorant, but you're being downright ******* stupid. I said I believe in the possibility. I can't make any simpler. That doesn't make me right, or you wrong, but you're obviously not capable of comprehending that. And you obviously just wanna argue but you can't reason worth ****. And no I don't owe anybody proof, seeing as I already admitted it might not exist.

Last edited by Greshym_Shorkan on 24 Jan 2010, 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 9:59 am

Original post deleted; no longer relevant.

Enjoy chasing your proverbial tails. :)

Last edited by Lecks on 24 Jan 2010, 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greshym_Shorkan
Toucan
Toucan

24 Jan 2010, 10:03 am

Should you want, you can. It's up to you.

dddhgg
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 11:37 am

Sand wrote:
Magnus wrote:
Energy can't be destroyed. People die, but their energy doesn't. It gets recycled.

Exactly. Just like their molecular constituents which turn into bacteria and a few mice and worms. But that's certainly not what people have in mind when they speak of the hereafter.

Actually I find it quite comforting that my molecular constituents will one day be new lifeforms.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 12:00 pm

dddhgg wrote:
Sand wrote:
Magnus wrote:
Energy can't be destroyed. People die, but their energy doesn't. It gets recycled.

Exactly. Just like their molecular constituents which turn into bacteria and a few mice and worms. But that's certainly not what people have in mind when they speak of the hereafter.

Actually I find it quite comforting that my molecular constituents will one day be new lifeforms.

Actually every ti,e you breathe, defecate, sneeze, spit, bleed,or otherwise release anything from your body that material has a good chance of passing into some other life form. In a sense these things are only borrowed, never owned.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 1:12 pm

Sand wrote:
dddhgg wrote:
Sand wrote:
Magnus wrote:

Actually every ti,e you breathe, defecate, sneeze, spit, bleed,or otherwise release anything from your body that material has a good chance of passing into some other life form. In a sense these things are only borrowed, never owned.

Agreed.

Now, are emotions energy? Do you think our thoughts have any substance? Is there energy in the brain?

-Pythagoras

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 7:50 pm

Magnus wrote:
Sand wrote:
dddhgg wrote:
Sand wrote:
Magnus wrote:

Agreed.

Now, are emotions energy? Do you think our thoughts have any substance? Is there energy in the brain?

Your fixation with energy as some sort of sentient substance is extraordinary. Electricity is energy but just electricity doesn't make a computer or a light bulb or an electromagnet or an electric mixer or an electric toaster or any other gadget. The brain is a gadget that requires energy and it is configured to produce, amongst other things, a thinking auxiliary system. But the energy itself does not function without all the elaborate meat that uses the energy.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 7:52 pm

Well, we have increased those energy circuits over the years. Still, I haven't seen your response to my question..."Does the brain contain energy?"

-Pythagoras

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 8:20 pm

Magnus wrote:
Well, we have increased those energy circuits over the years. Still, I haven't seen your response to my question..."Does the brain contain energy?"

"Contain" is a peculiar verb in he context of energy.As Einstein pointed out and the Japanese experienced, all matter has the potential to be converted to energy and it interacts with matter in many diverse ways. Since even you must concede that the brain is matter it must follow that energy is no doubt located in the brain.

Last edited by Sand on 24 Jan 2010, 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 8:22 pm

Does the brain create energy? No? Energy cannot be created? Does the brain destroy energy? No? Energy cannot be destroyed.

-Pythagoras

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 8:27 pm

Magnus wrote:
Does the brain create energy? No? Energy cannot be created? Does the brain destroy energy? No? Energy cannot be destroyed.

To be concise, so what? Energy in of itself is neither sentient nor intelligent.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 8:33 pm

What is intelligence? Is it a form of energy? If you analyze intelligence to the pinpoint of beginning, yes it is energy in the brain that allows intelligence. Does it die? No, I think it spirals to become less or more. We are either growing or dying. That is a fact.

-Pythagoras

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 8:38 pm

Magnus wrote:
What is intelligence? Is it a form of energy? If you analyze intelligence to the pinpoint of beginning, yes it is energy in the brain that allows intelligence. Does it die? No, I think it spirals to become less or more. We are either growing or dying. That is a fact.

If intelligence is a form of energy does that imply that all energy is intelligent. I think not. Energy always degrades to heat. I have never had a decent conversation with a hot stove.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 8:40 pm

Energy doesn't always take the form of intelligence. We can will it to tho...

-Pythagoras

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 8:44 pm

Magnus wrote:
Energy doesn't always take the form of intelligence. We can will it to tho...

My will must be non-existent. Stoves remain uncommunicative.