Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 10:12 pm

This article http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/31/busin ... technology indicates a sensor system evolving to make a total model of all activity on Earth possible, much as our consciousness contains a model of our bodies and its activities. Initially it seems it will be used by scientific observers to become aware of much f the dynamic process that the planet undergoes in its daily activity. It seems likely that much of this data will be eventually coordinated in a computer model of the planet to gauge when things become unusual or dangerous so countermeasures can be taken to preserve life and property. In effect the planet will become conscious of its condition and there is a possibility it might develop an independent intellect to control and regulate its progress through time.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2010, 12:36 am

Its a really interesting idea, though I think the brain - at least in my own lifetime - will continue to be the scientists analyzing trends and results, to say we'll have an AI computer that can take its own countermeasures would be costly and would take a lot of automated resources that the particular supercomputer in question could control.

BTW I'm still waiting for those ultra-fast chemical chips they were talking about some years back. What gives?

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin