Don't know 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
I want to see the results 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 16

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 9:30 pm

Orwell wrote:
Keynesianism is hardly viable if all you do is deficit spend during the recessions—you really can't just keep running deficits forever, eventually you have to make it up with surpluses.

Well, yes, but that doesn't mean that this is a major part of practicing Keynesianism. It is just a major part of practicing Keynesianism sustainably. There's a difference.

Quote:
That problem can be circumvented by making the government budget more independent of political matters. A graduated income tax will result in lower tax revenues during a recession (people are either out of a job or earning less money, thus paying less income tax) and various social welfare programs, or perhaps some variant of Friedman's negative income tax, will also increase government spending during a recession as more people are eligible for (and taking advantage of) more government benefits, all without direct input from policymakers and in real time as the recession occurs. Such a policy would also allow for automatically running surpluses when employment is high, wages are rising, and fewer people are using the social safety net.

Right, but if you've noticed how much spending Keynesians have tended to do, I doubt that this would be sufficient if one wants to practice what they think is needed.

Quote:
There, you have a simple, complete implementation of Keynesianism that is unhindered by the idiocy of politicians. Aside from the question of actually putting such a policy in place, anti-Keynesians would now have to resort to actually refuting Keynesianism on a theoretical basis, and that's harder to do than just saying "it's impractical."

Milton Friedman does have theoretical attacks. He was the founder of monetarism after all, but this was just one of the problems he cited. I only mentioned this as background on what I've heard on the matter.

Quote:
A theory that does not correspond to reality is useless. If we have no empirical means of testing a theory, it can't be taken seriously. This is the same problem facing string theory: it's a nice idea, the mathematics works out fine, but we have no experimental validation.

I know a theory that does not correspond to reality is useless, but the issue is that falsification and verification aren't the real issues at hand, only the issue of providing better models for reality.

Quote:
You have in the past denied that forests, cities, and society exist. You've also denied the existence of trees, people, and everything above the level of atoms.

Exactly, I am a big picture kind of guy, because in reality nothing exists but everything!

ASPER
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jan 2010, 11:55 pm

Orwell:

Do you agree with the Austrian theory just in principle at least?
Like, wouldn't it be good to have a truly free market where people decide what to do with their money and how, where, when to work?

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2010, 1:35 am

It's terrific irony that an economic cult rejecting empricism ("positivism") and advocating apriorism has rank and file so unaware of themselves that they claim others accept magical thinking.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2010, 2:06 am

Master_Pedant wrote:
It's terrific irony that an economic cult rejecting empricism ("positivism") and advocating apriorism has rank and file so unaware of themselves that they claim others accept magical thinking.

There are Austrians in academia, and some have gotten increasing success, such as Peter Leeson who is currently temporarily lecturing at the University of Chicago, and who has guest authored a few posts on the Freakonomics blog. http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/a ... er-leeson/ Additionally, Hayek has gotten a lot of attention during the past century, and even though he is less notable than Keynes, it is hard to just dismiss him as just a matter of cultistry.

In any case, Austrians also aren't anti-empirical, they just aren't positivists. They see positivism as undercutting the value of theories and economic intuition. Austrians are willing to study past events and cite facts and so on, but they are skeptical towards cranking out statistical correlations given that they seek to understand causation.

That being said, most "rank and file" Austrians are adherents of the Mises Institute, which is considered the fringe of Austrian economics. This can lead to extremism on apriorism, as well as dogmatism on questions rather than mental flexibility. There are more moderate Austrian organizations. Now, such organizations still tend towards libertarianism and even anarchism, but they are moderate in that they are more intellectually open and tentative on their conclusions.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2010, 2:39 am

ASPER wrote:
Orwell:

Like, wouldn't it be good to have a truly free market where people decide what to do with their money and how, where, when to work?

I find the Austrian ideas interesting, but I would need to spend more time studying economics before really making an informed judgment.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2010, 3:22 am

ASPER wrote:
Orwell:

Umm.... how do you agree with a theory in principle without thinking that the practice is good? Not only that, but who says that a "truly free market" would allow for good capital accumulation or even not have problems with risk? I am not saying that a free market cannot be good at both, so I doubt that I have a deficit on the matter of theory, but practice is important.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2010, 10:51 am

Theories : Everything looks fine on paper. Not quite so in practice. ^.-

ASPER
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jan 2010, 9:49 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
ASPER wrote:
Orwell:

Umm.... how do you agree with a theory in principle without thinking that the practice is good? Not only that, but who says that a "truly free market" would allow for good capital accumulation or even not have problems with risk? I am not saying that a free market cannot be good at both, so I doubt that I have a deficit on the matter of theory, but practice is important.

I said this because certain people do agree with the theory but refuse supporting the theory. Sometimes saying "it wont work", like they were some wise sages who can even see into the future.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 1:52 am

ASPER wrote:
Awesomelyglorious wrote:
ASPER wrote:
Orwell:

I said this because certain people do agree with the theory but refuse supporting the theory. Sometimes saying "it wont work", like they were some wise sages who can even see into the future.

Well, the main objection to Austrian thought is that their distrust of central banks and insistence on the gold standard could lead to a disastrous deflationary spiral.

To respond more clearly to your original question: all else being equal, more freedom is usually better than less freedom. There are exceptions to the "usually," and quite often all else is not equal.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 2:39 am

Orwell wrote:
Well, the main objection to Austrian thought is that their distrust of central banks and insistence on the gold standard could lead to a disastrous deflationary spiral.

That also depends on the Austrian in question. I think the Austrians closer to the mainstream instead want a competitive banking system where gold(or whatever other valuable have you) constitutes the base, while the entire structure is just built on credit supported by the underlying valuable assets. They have their own theory they call Monetary Equilibrium theory. The best resource I can find at the moment is a talk given by Steve Horwitz. http://fee.org/media/audio/monetary-equ ... -theory-2/ (I usually prefer written sources)

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2010, 1:41 pm

Orwell wrote:
ASPER wrote:
Awesomelyglorious wrote:
ASPER wrote:
Orwell:

To respond more clearly to your original question: all else being equal, more freedom is usually better than less freedom. There are exceptions to the "usually," and quite often all else is not equal.

I thought the main objection was their excessive distrust of statistics - to the point of insulating themselves from real world data.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2010, 1:55 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
I thought the main objection was their excessive distrust of statistics - to the point of insulating themselves from real world data.

No, the main objection is really theoretical, as Austrians have their own set of theories that they put more trust in and devalue the neoclassical theories.(particularly the Keynesian theories)

However, it isn't an "excessive distrust of statistics". Even some non-Austrians have become cynical to the use of statistics, mostly because statistics often don't prove a lot, particularly in macroeconomics. That being said, there are Austrians who are willing to use statistics, in fact, I would bet that most do in some form or fashion. The ones that tend to hate statistics the most though are on the Austrian fringe. So, if you're looking at mises.org for your knowledge on Austrian economics, let me give you the awareness that it is more of a fringe and isolationist site rather than one that is trying to engage the academic mainstream. Some of the writings on mises are even laughable. I am not saying that mises.org isn't Austrian, or even that Austrians don't tend towards being ideologues, only that mises.org isn't one of the best showings.

This writing is perhaps the best example of the kind of thinking that mises.org has that seems relatively stupid.
http://mises.org/story/2944 Too much of the objection is outcomes, not something more substantive.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2010, 2:08 pm

Orwell wrote:
Now, the Austrians blame the excesses of low interest rates and easy money for the later bust, but this isn't really a good refutation of Keynesianism. After all, properly applied Keynesianism would require budget surpluses, higher interest rates, and tighter credit during the boom part of the cycle in order to smooth the overall business cycle.

In reality, we have no good reason to favor one theory over the other. Empirical evidence used to support either theory is unsatisfactory, as there are too many confounding factors. The period when economic policy most closely conformed to Austrian ideas was a period of huge growth, but that may have simply been because of industrialization. Other places, other times we can see Keynesianism achieving excellent results, but again, other factors are likely at play. The Austrians try to take an apriorist approach to avoid this failure of empiricism, but how do we know their axioms correspond to external reality?

From an engineering p.o.v. Keynes is advocating a theory of dynamic equilibrium. This is similar to pumping ballast in a ship to keep its oscillations under control. So there is no a priori objection to Keynes.

Where things go wrong is when the politician use only one half of Keynes proposal. Pump the economy when it is lagging. But Keynes taught that when the economy is in growth phase, the balancing inputs must be taken out or "paid back". But the politicians, looking to be re-elected want to let "the good times roll". And so we get into a pickle like the recent melt-down of the financial markets. Keynes never would have approved of that.

ruveyn

AspiInLV
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Feb 2010, 8:52 pm

Lack of Goverment interference is a form of that self same interference.

The banks lobbied for , and got a repeal of the glass steagall act, then they could use all their money for gambling, sub prime mortgages.

they were able to get their way by giving generously to the politicians on the relevent committees.

because they had more favorable new laws they either bought or drove out of business all their more cautious rivals.

Larry Summers, advisor to the current president did an exceptionally poor job of reforming the Russian economy in the 1990's (they got Oligarchs, hyperinflation to show for it ). Who selected him for that job? why George H.W Bush. During the 1980's Presidential primary he denounced Reaganomics as "voodoo" economics. Bush 41 would later become a one term president because the economy flopped on his watch, a Large number of Bank failures occured then.

NEVER vote a Texan in as president,Google all candidates for higher office, vote for the candidate who advertised the least, for he/she is less likely to be on someone's payroll.

ASPER
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Feb 2010, 4:24 pm

AspiInLV wrote:
Lack of Goverment interference is a form of that self same interference.

The banks lobbied for , and got a repeal of the glass steagall act, then they could use all their money for gambling, sub prime mortgages.

they were able to get their way by giving generously to the politicians on the relevent committees.

because they had more favorable new laws they either bought or drove out of business all their more cautious rivals...

So the problem IS the govt.
Anyone with money can influence or control it to gain more money and more control until total domination is achieved and that complete domination comes in the form of a fascist world govt.

That "govt is supposed to be good" is a fallacy. Its very nature leaves the door open for corruption.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2010, 6:32 pm

So because gangsters succeed in bribing the police, the answer is to eliminate police and laws. Isn't that right?