How to end wars and create peace on the planet

Page 1 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 6:45 pm

If you could install one rule that could help to end wars and create peace, what would that rule be? Do you follow that rule?

My rule:

Treat others the way you would want to be treated.

Do I follow it? Most of the time I do, but not always. How can I abide by this rule more?

-Pythagoras

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 7:29 pm

I would ban sex and any forms of human reproduction.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 7:59 pm

Magnus wrote:
If you could install one rule that could help to end wars and create peace, what would that rule be? Do you follow that rule?

My rule:

Do I follow it? Most of the time I do, but not always. How can I abide by this rule more?

We each have a different concept of how we would like to be treated.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 8:08 pm

Rules don't matter as much as enforcement.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 8:09 pm

Sand wrote:
Magnus wrote:

My rule:

Since we can't possibly know how everyone would really like to be treated, it's a safe bet that our conscience would be clearer if we treated everyone as best as we know how to.

-Pythagoras

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 8:19 pm

Magnus wrote:

My rule:

Rule 1 - Don't have wars.
I don't see where this is going.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 8:25 pm

Asmodeus wrote:
Magnus wrote:

My rule:

War is a complicated issue and maybe it is a necessary evil if individuals don't have peaceful intentions in all that they do. My question is how can we create peace on earth if we don't follow our own rule that could achieve it. AG says we need enforcement, but that doesn't seem to create peace, based on all of history. Civilizations have always had rules and always had wars.

-Pythagoras

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 8:30 pm

It's difficult for people to understand each other even when speaking the same language. As long as there are people there will be wars.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 8:46 pm

There's a little known movie called Equilibrium? You'd need Gammaton Clerics or simply just have Orwell's 1984 come true - global totalitarian state.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 8:58 pm

Magnus wrote:
Asmodeus wrote:
Magnus wrote:

My rule:

War is a complicated issue and maybe it is a necessary evil if individuals don't have peaceful intentions in all that they do. My question is how can we create peace on earth if we don't follow our own rule that could achieve it. AG says we need enforcement, but that doesn't seem to create peace, based on all of history. Civilizations have always had rules and always had wars.

Did you consider that war could be a necessary evil? A lot of the wars and conquests in history have brought benefits in the long run; technology, culture, forms of government etc.
Those that make the wars make the rules.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 9:09 pm

Magnus wrote:
If you could install one rule that could help to end wars and create peace, what would that rule be?

One would not be enough, and here is why:

Sand wrote:

So, there has to be a common standard, and that is why the rule you have mentioned is actually the second of two ... but I will leave that matter for another day!

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 9:16 pm

Well, since I know there is a generally heavy anti-gun sentiment on Wrong Planet, how about this:

"No military is allowed to have weapons, nor police, nor law abiding citizens."

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 9:32 pm

Ooh, I know a realistic law to do this!

Have a law that removes the term "war" from all dictionaries, and that also defines peace as "the current state of world affairs".

And then BOOM! It is done! Very little enforcement will be needed as well, which makes this like double awesome!

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 9:36 pm

:x

Last edited by Meadow on 27 Jan 2010, 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 9:39 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Ooh, I know a realistic law to do this!

Have a law that removes the term "war" from all dictionaries, and that also defines peace as "the current state of world affairs".

And then BOOM! It is done! Very little enforcement will be needed as well, which makes this like double awesome!

Redefine 'War' as a deity that exists outside of space and time that created all of the universe - at that rate we could go on debating whether or not it exists or ever did exist. War being reported on the news after that would be regarding immaculate visions of war at small towns around the Spanish countryside (war would even be hope inspiring!).

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

TitusLucretiusCarus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2010, 2:39 am

Quote:

Kant has been around for a couple hundred years know, if it was simply a matter of adjusting your ethical and moral stance then we wouldn't have had every war from the Napoleonic through the World wars upto the Afghan and Iraq wars of the last decade. Wars don't take place because of poor morals - they help, but they're not the primary cause.