Fetal Rights & Forced Medical Treatment: Your Opinion?

Page 1 of 14 [ 224 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 6:11 pm

Do you think pregnant women should be obligated to undergo medical treatment for the sake of their fetuses? (I personally don't, but this is for you to debate)

Adopted mother to a cat named Charlotte, and grandmother to 3 kittens.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 6:31 pm

There was a real case where a pregnant woman was in a car crash, and declared brain dead. Her sister, however, refused to pull the plug, because she was preggers, and that would be abortion, which is of course against God's will. So the woman was kept on life support for four months, after which she delivered a healthy boy, and was buried. Sis and her hubby agreed to raise the boy. So, it's not a matter of "if". Forced abortion is a reality in rural China. Women with Downs syndrome fetuses are often heavily leaned on, either by docs or by family, to abort. If there was a prenatal test for autism, the same thing would happen.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 7:30 pm

There is a great deal more to creating a viable valuable self sustaining human being than tissue culture. I applaud anybody that takes on and succeeds with this very trying expensive time consuming task and fully understand when someone apprises that he or she is unfit to go through this years long business and refuses the opportunity.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 9:30 pm

A fetus is the property of the woman carrying it. It has no rights.

ruveyn

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 9:53 pm

ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

property seems a bit harsh...kinda like the belief that wives are the property of the husband.

oh well, whatever rocks you to sleep.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 10:17 pm

oscuria wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

property seems a bit harsh...kinda like the belief that wives are the property of the husband.

oh well, whatever rocks you to sleep.

Ive never heard of a husband growing his wife from his own guts.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2010, 4:18 am

ruveyn wrote:
A fetus is the property of the woman carrying it.

Ah, you surely know better than that, Ruveyn! The fetus, child, organic lump or whatever has simply been entrusted to its host for a period of gestation and whatever might follow.

ruveyn wrote:
It has no rights.

Not even a "right" to be in the womb for a time?

Neither can I imagine you really believe that!

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2010, 5:12 am

leejosepho wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
A fetus is the property of the woman carrying it.

Ah, you surely know better than that, Ruveyn! The fetus, child, organic lump or whatever has simply been entrusted to its host for a period of gestation and whatever might follow.

ruveyn wrote:
It has no rights.

Not even a "right" to be in the womb for a time?

Neither can I imagine you really believe that!

"Entrusted" is a prejudicial term out of a belief in a deity and without that belief it has no value. A good many pregnancies fail with no interference and eggs of any species are grown and tossed away as a general life process all the time. Nature really doesn't give a damn about who survives and who doesn't and it's up to us individual humans how we want to live our lives.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2010, 6:35 am

Sand wrote:
"Entrusted" is a prejudicial term out of a belief in a deity ...

BS. Do you have any children?

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2010, 6:51 am

leejosepho wrote:
Sand wrote:

Sure. And also I have had millions upon millions of spermatozoa which I dealt with as I felt proper, each of which could have contributed to a human being.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2010, 7:47 am

Irony is how if a man punches a woman in the gut and causes a miscarriage, it's murder of the "baby."

A woman can terminate the pregnancy at will and it's her right because a fetus isn't a person.

How can something that isn't a person have legal rights and not have legal rights at the same time.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2010, 7:50 am

zer0netgain wrote:
Irony is how if a man punches a woman in the gut and causes a miscarriage, it's murder of the "baby."

A woman can terminate the pregnancy at will and it's her right because a fetus isn't a person.

How can something that isn't a person have legal rights and not have legal rights at the same time.

Which only indicates that legal rights can be totally illogical. Nevertheless it follows the same principle that a man has the perfect right to tear down his own house but if anyone else does that against the man's will, that's a crime.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2010, 9:01 am

Sand wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:

Which only indicates that legal rights can be totally illogical. Nevertheless it follows the same principle that a man has the perfect right to tear down his own house but if anyone else does that against the man's will, that's a crime.

Sophic choice topic

If a woman chooses to become pregnant and to sustain the pregnancy then the law accords her rights and if violated (eg losing a fetus due to assaut leading to miscarriage) then the law steps in and the perpetrator of the assault is dealt with.

Ruveyn is correct. A fetus is not a person; it is part of the host female. FYI, I have three children, and by my rights I could have had them aborted, at some early phase of the pregnancy, but I chose not to.

The sister of the woman who was in a coma and pregnant was fortunate to have intervened to save the pregnancy. Other families might not have had the interest to do so. Again, this was a choice. 8)

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2010, 8:59 pm

Sand wrote:
leejosepho wrote:
Sand wrote:

Sure. And also I have had millions upon millions of spermatozoa which I dealt with as I felt proper ...

... which included entrusting them to someone else entrusted with the outcome.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2010, 9:53 pm

leejosepho wrote:
Sand wrote:
leejosepho wrote:
Sand wrote:

Sure. And also I have had millions upon millions of spermatozoa which I dealt with as I felt proper ...

... which included entrusting them to someone else entrusted with the outcome.

Evidently I don't feel so proprietary about my genital emissions as you do. They basically are a form of body snot excreted in coition which is a kind of total body sneeze. Those guys are on their own once they leave my body and if they are good at what they do one of them might join up with an egg to get the machinery going to grow a human. Once a human is produced then I can have thoughts about giving a hand to an active human animal.

As I clearly pointed out entrusting requires an entruster and how this is handled is a very individual circumstance.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2010, 3:24 am

LiberalJustice wrote:
Do you think pregnant women should be obligated to undergo medical treatment for the sake of their fetuses? (I personally don't, but this is for you to debate)

Absolutely, positively NOT! Fetuses are not persons. Fetuses are the property of the women who carries the fetus and the woman can dispose or treat the fetus anyway she pleases as long as it does not create a public health hazard. That means no dumping miscarriages in the middle of the street or in the public water supply.

ruveyn