Page 3 of 7 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 11:51 am

Well, here is what home schooling is about: http://www.conservapedia.com/Home_schooling

Quote:
Homeschooling is a practice done by good parents, so that their children don't become indoctrinated by liberal ideology

If you are "homeschooling" for any reason other than preventing your children from becoming indoctrinated by liberal ideology, then you aren't "homeschooling" and you aren't "good parents."

As you know: http://www.conservapedia.com/Public_school

Quote:
Public schools in the United States are liberal and atheistic government institutions that employ 3 million people and spend $411.5 billion annually at a cost of $10,770 per student.

And, you know that "liberal" is one of the dirtiest words on the planet: http://www.conservapedia.com/Liberal

If you read it on Conservapedia, then you know it's infallibly true, because Conservapedia is on the internet.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 12:32 pm

pandabear wrote:
If you are "homeschooling" for any reason other than preventing your children from becoming indoctrinated by liberal ideology, then you aren't "homeschooling" and you aren't "good parents."

There are meetings, but I never saw my ex group being political based. It was more about discussing programs for the children in homeschooling families to get together from time to time and such, as well as money. The parents pick the material. They pick the level of edgucational material. They pay money to buy that stuff. They get one on one time with the child. Liberal or conserveative is up to them, if politics will be taught in the first place. 'Bad parents'... seriosuly? :|

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 1:16 pm

LiendaBalla wrote:
'Bad parents'... seriosuly? :|

Yes, seriosuly :wink: That is what the internet says.

Caitlin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Mar 2010, 1:23 pm

But Panda, aren't you falling into your own trap here? You argue that conservapedia is an unreliable propagandic junkyard (which it is) but yet you want to quote them as an authority on homeschooling.

They can either be trusted as a source or they cannot. If you don't believe their bull about politics, don't believe their bull about homeschooling.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 1:30 pm

No-one can tell when I'm just kidding?

I thought that this thread was more about Conservapedophiles (which means lovers of Conservapedia) than about home schooling.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 2:38 pm

pandabear wrote:
No-one can tell when I'm just kidding?

No, panda, a lot of people on this site really can't. Sarcasm is hard enough over the Internet without adding autism to the mix.

fidelis
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 2:51 pm

The very first sentence is biased. After that it just rants about vaccines and refrigerator mothers.

http://www.conservapedia.com/Autism

Quote:
Autism is a developmental disability, characterized by the tendency to be self-absorbed...

Quote:
External Links

1. http://www.autismspeaks.org/
2. http://www.autismdigest.com/
3. http://www.nationalautismassociation.org/
4. http://www.autism-society.org/site/PageServer
5. http://www.autismlink.com/
6. Opposing Views: Are Autism and Vaccines Linked?
7. Neurodiversity - An Incredible Resource for Autism Related Information

I don't think they are too concerned about homeschooling autistic children.

Quick note on sarcasm. If it makes no logical sense, and you are sure the person saying it is somewhat intelligent, then it is sarcasm. It works 95% of the time. The other 5% is personal error on my part. I have used it since I was ten and people can't even tell that I have no real clue when people are sarcastic. It's when they rely solely on tone of voice that it doesn't hold too well.

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 3:39 pm

fidelis wrote:
Quick note on sarcasm. If it makes no logical sense, and you are sure the person saying it is somewhat intelligent, then it is sarcasm. It works 95% of the time. The other 5% is personal error on my part. I have used it since I was ten and people can't even tell that I have no real clue when people are sarcastic. It's when they rely solely on tone of voice that it doesn't hold too well.

Isn't that a real clue? I thought everybody used that one. :?

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

fidelis
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 3:50 pm

PLA wrote:
Isn't that a real clue? I thought everybody used that one. :?

It is. I just felt too lazy to go back and edit. What I meant by real clue was tones of voice and the like. I also think that not all people use that. NTs are probably too used to just basing it on vioce alone, and I don't think it's intuitive for anyone, let alone autistics. For example, Panda wrote one thing and then contradicted it by citing a source that I don't think many people here would cite. According to the rule, it would be sarcasm, but not everyone got that it was sarcasm, which means they didn't use the rule. Or something along those lines.

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 6:30 pm

www.conservapedia.com.... my new favorite source of comedy for the next (looks like) 14 hours. ppr reminds me why i love the internet.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 9:25 pm

I'm starting to wonder whether the Conservapedia was really put together by "Liberals" for the sake of lampooning Conservatives.

The entire Conservapedia comes across as a big joke--who would actually take it seriously?

It just succeeds in making Conservatives appear profoundly stupid.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 11:02 pm

pandabear wrote:
I'm starting to wonder whether the Conservapedia was really put together by "Liberals" for the sake of lampooning Conservatives.

The entire Conservapedia comes across as a big joke--who would actually take it seriously?

It just succeeds in making Conservatives appear profoundly stupid.

The thing about the far right (and fundamentalists) is that it is often very difficult to distinguish between a right-winger and a parody of a right-winger.

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 5:14 am

ruveyn wrote:
Orwell wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
but the matter has not been well established to my satisfaction.

And frankly, no one gives a damn whether or not you are satisfied by the explanations given. I am not able to seriously discuss climate change science as it is well outside the fields I have personally studied; I suspect it is also well outside your expertise. The best I can do is defer to people who do know the science, and they seem to believe there is cause for concern.

I give a damn and I will act to the extent I can act to prevent my claims to a carbon footprint from being hijacked on fraudulent grounds. And I am not the only one who feels that way. I will vote for those who oppose controls and rationing imposed on grounds I consider insufficient and outright fraudulent. As I said, I am not a lone voice in the night. There are millions who feel and think on the matter as I do, and by God, sir, we will be heard! People like me vote negatively when we are sufficiently motivated. I would like to see the U.N. stop that.

ruveyn

The U.N would find a way.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 1:43 pm

I'll stick up for ruveyn's cognition. Although I disagree with him on just about every significant issue of public policy, there is no question in my mind that he reprsents the deeper end of the right wings intellectual pool. Perhaps with a few more ruveyns and fewer Ann Coulter's, we might actually have a meaningful public policy debate. (That's not to say that we don't need to shed some major deadwood on the left, either).

As far as homeschooling is concerned, neither I, nor anyone is in a position to stop parents from indoctrinating their children. If a child comes home having learned that 2 + 2 = 4, and his parents teach him that it's actually 5, and reward him for repeating the lie, eventually he is going to incorporate that lesson. He might even learn to dissemble, regurgitating the expected answers at school, and at home.

But for every creationist fundamentalist out there, there are also parents who are rejecting their school districts' attempts to ban books, and introduce "intelligent design" into the curriculum. If the price of a liberal education is allowing homeshooling parents to do as they wish, then I will gladly pay that price. After all, diversity makes us stronger.

As for climate change, I don't believe that the scientific jury is out any longer. There are, of course, dissenters--and that's a healthy part of scientific research. But the consensus is well formed, now.

But even if the scientific evidence was still uncertain, I would still take steps to lessen my carbon footprint from a purely economic standpoint. Every action I take involves the consumption of energy--to the extent that I can more efficiently use that energy, I can reduce my consumption, and the cost that it takes to maintain my place in the world--leaving more supply available for others' use, and reducing the cost, overall, on a basic supply and demand basis.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 2:57 pm

visagrunt wrote:
But even if the scientific evidence was still uncertain, I would still take steps to lessen my carbon footprint from a purely economic standpoint. Every action I take involves the consumption of energy--to the extent that I can more efficiently use that energy, I can reduce my consumption, and the cost that it takes to maintain my place in the world--leaving more supply available for others' use, and reducing the cost, overall, on a basic supply and demand basis.
is

I switched over to CFL illumination years ago. Why? The CFL lamps last longer and use less current. The electric company is already rich. I see no reason to make them any richer then they are. My consumption decisions are based on rational self interest, the highest form of selfishness.

Visagrunt is wise. The Force is with him.

ruveyn

MEATGRINDER
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Mar 2010, 11:47 am

ruveyn wrote:
That alone put him apart from the massively "pink" intellectual establishment of the 30s and 40s. But I take your reservation. I have never seen that "pedia" before so I have no general opinion on it.

By the way, the science or "science" behind the claim that the current warm phase of the world is primarily driven by human activity is sh***y as science goes. Freeman Dyson, who is not a foam at the mouth Right Winger has said that the climate models are not causal but statistical and therefore are bad science.

They (the politically corrupt IPCC and others) might very well be right about primarily human causes for the current warm phase, but the matter has not been well established to my satisfaction. The entire climatic history of this planet for the last 3.5 to 4.0 billion years has been a succession of warmer and colder phases. The warmest of which were the eruption of the various Traps, such as the Siberian and Deccan Traps and the coldest of which was the "ice ball". Climate is always changing. Sometimes, not to our liking. It could be that we are headed for extinction and not through our own doing.

Since we are being asked to sacrifice our comfort (and perhaps decades of our all too brief lifetime) for the sake of modifying the climatic trend, I insist on a scientific basis as least as good as the Standard Model for Fields and Particles.; accurate to 12 places and overwhelmingly established by experimental means. I am not about to commit sepuko for Giaia. I know I am being a stickler, but there it is.

ruveyn

The Standard Model of fields and particles is one of the most incomplete and least solid modern scientific theories. In many ways the Standard Model is an article of convenience, a lot like String Theory is, and has some major problems that are likely to lead to its downfall. The standard model is not consistent with Relativity Theory which HAS been experimentally verified, and most of all it fails to allow for a quantum theory of gravity.