Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 6:20 pm

pandabear wrote:

They don't care much for Jehovah's witnesses

http://www.conservapedia.com/Jehovah%27s_Witness

and especially Mormons

http://www.conservapedia.com/Book_of_Mormon

Has anyone told them Glenn Beck is a Mormon?

Here's their lovely statements about Wikipedia.

Quote:
The project was initiated by two atheists: entrepreneur Jimmy Wales and philosophy professor Larry Sanger on January 15, 2001. Despite its official "neutrality policy," Wikipedia has a strong liberal bias.

http://www.conservapedia.com/Wikipedia

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 6:29 pm

Quote:
Augusto Pinochet
From Conservapedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Augusto PinochetGeneral Augusto José Ramón Pinochet Ugarte (1915–2006) was a Chilean soldier and politician who became Chile's head of state from 1973 to 1990. He came to power as a member of a council of military leaders after the overthrow of the government of President Salvador Allende on September 11, 1973. Allende, a radical Marxist, had gained power after barely winning only a 36% plurality of the popular vote in 1970, but he violated the Chilean Constitution[Citation Needed] and was condemned for his illegal conduct by the Chilean legislature and by civil society organizations.

In 1998, the leftists who long hated Pinochet for defeating them arranged for his arrest while he was in London receiving medical treatment. The leftists arranged for an unprecedented arrest warrant to be issued in Spain for alleged human rights violations that occurred in Chile during while Pinochet was president. It was outrageous that an activist court in Spain would assert jurisdiction over Pinochet in London for allegations arising long ago in Chile. The stunt failed, and Pinochet was subsequently returned to Chile in part based on his ill health. The leftists continued after him, and had him indicted and charged with kidnapping 19 supporters of Salvador Allende during the 1973 coup in which Pinochet took power. The Chilean Supreme Court suspended the prosecution in July 2002, again due to Pinochet's continuing poor health.[1]

http://www.conservapedia.com/Augusto_Pinochet

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 6:36 pm

As expected, Sarah Palin gets a glowing article

http://www.conservapedia.com/Sarah_Palin

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 7:09 pm

Hey, it looks like they have scientific predictions made by the Bible too.

http://www.conservapedia.com/Bible_scie ... eknowledge

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 9:17 pm

Orwell wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Sand wrote:

Thinking is a great path. It's worth a try.

I think better than 95 percent of the human. Think first, then vote.

Ruveyn, get over yourself. 95th percentile is really not all that impressive—indeed, it means there are a couple hundred million people currently living who are smarter than you.

And well over five billion that are not smarter than me.

ruveyn

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 9:31 pm

ruveyn wrote:
And well over five billion that are not smarter than me.

ruveyn

Unfortunately for you, I imagine that a lot of the people posting here are in with the millions instead of the billions.

Caitlin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Mar 2010, 10:58 pm

I know this discussion has diverged from the earlier point of homeschooling, however I wanted to encourage people to not paint all homeschoolers with a broad brush of freethinking contempt. Just as those on the autism spectrum shouldn't be stereotyped, neither should those of us on the homeschool spectrum. There are a very significant number of ASD parents homeschooling and I would wager the vast majority are not doing it to protect their kids from the 'evils of Darwinism'.

I homeschool my AS son because the public school teachers he happened to have last year were cruel, small minded, and frankly less intelligent than he was at the tender age of 6. They were incapable of teaching him, and I am capaple of teaching him, therefore I teach him. I also happen to be Christian, go to church every Sunday, don't believe the Bible should be taken literally, have a degree in History, am pro-choice, believe firmly in GLBT rights including marriage, vote consistently on the left of the political spectrum, and don't include issues of religion in any of the subjects I teach my son.

You know what they say about making assumptions :wink:

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 12:10 am

Caitlin wrote:
I know this discussion has diverged from the earlier point of homeschooling, however I wanted to encourage people to not paint all homeschoolers with a broad brush of freethinking contempt. Just as those on the autism spectrum shouldn't be stereotyped, neither should those of us on the homeschool spectrum. There are a very significant number of ASD parents homeschooling and I would wager the vast majority are not doing it to protect their kids from the 'evils of Darwinism'.

I homeschool my AS son because the public school teachers he happened to have last year were cruel, small minded, and frankly less intelligent than he was at the tender age of 6. They were incapable of teaching him, and I am capaple of teaching him, therefore I teach him. I also happen to be Christian, go to church every Sunday, don't believe the Bible should be taken literally, have a degree in History, am pro-choice, believe firmly in GLBT rights including marriage, vote consistently on the left of the political spectrum, and don't include issues of religion in any of the subjects I teach my son.

You know what they say about making assumptions :wink:

Oh, that's fine of you to do, Caitlin.

I actually made my own comment on homeschooling: "At the same time though, I would have to think that if I had a child and the time, then I would homeschool that child. Mostly because public education is sort of nonsensical and a waste of time for more capable students, and because I honestly hold my judgment on subject-matter in high esteem."

Honestly, I've heard of atheist libertarian homeschoolers. Like, I think Milton Friedman's son, David Friedman, homeschooled his kids(actually he "unschooled" them I think), and I know that fiercely anti-religious economist Bryan Caplan is looking forward to homeschooling his children.

That being said, I think the evidence disagrees with you, instead showing that these parents actually do want to save their children from evil Darwinism.
http://rawstory.com/2010/03/top-homesch ... evolution/

"Federal statistics from 2007 show 83 percent of home-schooling parents want to give their children "religious or moral instruction.""

""The majority of home-schoolers self-identify as evangelical Christians," said Ian Slatter, a spokesman for the Home School Legal Defense Association. "Most home-schoolers will definitely have a sort of creationist component to their home-school program.""

Caitlin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Mar 2010, 12:20 am

Oh I don't disagree that the majority of homeschoolers (at least in the USA) do it for fundamentalist religious reasons (but there are still significant numbers who don't). What I said was that I don't think the majority of ASD parents who homeschool do so for that reason - I think they have - generally - much different reasons (rooted in the inadequacies of the public school system) for homeschooling.

Interestingly, in Canada (where I live) statistics show that dissatisfaction with the school system's ability to adequately educate children is a bigger reason for homeschooling than religious reasons. We have our share of fundamentalists, but they are in a significant minority (and largely found in one province).

My son entered a science project in a local homeschooling project fair a few months ago. It was a project on a fossil he found that our city's Museum paleontologist dated as 460 million years old. It never even occurred to me that this would be a controversial project for a homeschool project fair... but sure enough, we had a few families come around to see the project who said "oh... 460 million years... well that's impossible since the earth is only 10,000 years old".

I was so shocked I didn't even have a snappy comeback :roll:

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 1:29 am

Caitlin wrote:
Oh I don't disagree that the majority of homeschoolers (at least in the USA) do it for fundamentalist religious reasons (but there are still significant numbers who don't). What I said was that I don't think the majority of ASD parents who homeschool do so for that reason - I think they have - generally - much different reasons (rooted in the inadequacies of the public school system) for homeschooling.

Interestingly, in Canada (where I live) statistics show that dissatisfaction with the school system's ability to adequately educate children is a bigger reason for homeschooling than religious reasons. We have our share of fundamentalists, but they are in a significant minority (and largely found in one province).

My son entered a science project in a local homeschooling project fair a few months ago. It was a project on a fossil he found that our city's Museum paleontologist dated as 460 million years old. It never even occurred to me that this would be a controversial project for a homeschool project fair... but sure enough, we had a few families come around to see the project who said "oh... 460 million years... well that's impossible since the earth is only 10,000 years old".

I was so shocked I didn't even have a snappy comeback :roll:

Ah, I missed the ASD part. How silly of me.

I also ignore Canadians. How stereotypically arrogant of me. :wink:

And yeah, I don't think anybody could have a snappy comeback to something like that.

Caitlin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Mar 2010, 9:11 am

The secret truth about Canadians is that we prefer it when you ignore us. We like to fly under the proverbial radar. :wink:

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 10:22 am

Sorry, but post after post of this "I'm so much better than YOU because of what I think" attitude from certain people is getting very tireing, so excuse me for feeling a little angry. :x

Alot of homeschoolers don't do it to be religion anyway. Alot of parents do it to teach their children better and to keep them safe from violence. :? Just like mine did to save what tiny good/happy side is left in my phsycie. I'm mentioning this because it's true, not because I'm 'leaning toward' your side. You have prooved nothing to go against my experiances with the homeschoolers.

Last edited by LiendaBalla on 22 Mar 2010, 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 10:51 am

LiendaBalla wrote:
Sorry, but post after post of this "I'm so much better than YOU because of what I think" attitude from certain people is getting very tireing, so excuse me for feeling a little angry. :x

Alot of homeschoolers don't do it to be religion anyway. Alot of parents do it to teach their children better and to keep them safe from violence. :? Just like mine did to save what tiny good/happy side is left in my phsycie. I'm mentioning this because it's true.

You have prooved nothing. If you have a problem with someone's religion and different background, you are the one whoes full of it.

The abundant misspelling do, however, speak loads about home-schooling.

Caitlin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Mar 2010, 11:01 am

Careful panda... you're assuming again. I know those kinds of snappy comebacks are tempting, however they fall short of substance.

My spelling and grammar are impeccable, and I homeschool. Her spelling says a lot about her spelling. Nothing more, nothing less.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 11:06 am

:eye:
A come back...

Last edited by LiendaBalla on 22 Mar 2010, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 11:51 am

Well, here is what home schooling is about: http://www.conservapedia.com/Home_schooling

Quote:
Homeschooling is a practice done by good parents, so that their children don't become indoctrinated by liberal ideology

If you are "homeschooling" for any reason other than preventing your children from becoming indoctrinated by liberal ideology, then you aren't "homeschooling" and you aren't "good parents."

As you know: http://www.conservapedia.com/Public_school

Quote:
Public schools in the United States are liberal and atheistic government institutions that employ 3 million people and spend $411.5 billion annually at a cost of $10,770 per student.

And, you know that "liberal" is one of the dirtiest words on the planet: http://www.conservapedia.com/Liberal

If you read it on Conservapedia, then you know it's infallibly true, because Conservapedia is on the internet.