Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 11:50 pm

I am going through an interest in the paranormal right now. My aunt is going to a seance next week, and I am going, too. I have also watched a few too many ghost shows on the Discovery Channel and Sy Fy.

I feel ghosts can plausibly exist, but probably not as "spirits" the way we think of them. Ghosts, if they do exist, are more like residual energy. Every object in the universe has a resonant frequency. So, too, I feel, can buildings house residual energy that resonates with the person's "spirit."

What do you think?

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 11:54 pm

lotuspuppy wrote:
I am going through an interest in the paranormal right now. My aunt is going to a seance next week, and I am going, too. I have also watched a few too many ghost shows on the Discovery Channel and Sy Fy.

I feel ghosts can plausibly exist, but probably not as "spirits" the way we think of them. Ghosts, if they do exist, are more like residual energy. Every object in the universe has a resonant frequency. So, too, I feel, can buildings house residual energy that resonates with the person's "spirit."

What do you think?

Superstition has a remarkable persistence in human culture.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

29 May 2010, 12:20 am

99 out of a 100 times ghost stuff have a reasonable explanation

there are some things that aren't tho

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 12:52 am

Most of the time there are perfectly rational explanations for ghosts. If there are occasions when they are "real" then I think our explanation for them is completely awry. I don't think they're "dead people."

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 1:24 am

my sister saw my dad literally "give up the ghost" on his deathbed. a thin gray mist floated around the ceiling for a few seconds before disappating. the hospice nurses said they'd seen it all before.

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 1:31 am

lotuspuppy wrote:

What do you think?

Watch Star Gate Universe on syfy instead.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 7:59 am

auntblabby wrote:
my sister saw my dad literally "give up the ghost" on his deathbed. a thin gray mist floated around the ceiling for a few seconds before disappating. the hospice nurses said they'd seen it all before.

They should keep a vacuum hose handy. It would be neat to study something like that..

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 8:07 am

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

They should keep a vacuum hose handy. It would be neat to study something like that..

I hope they make sure not to cross the streams.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 10:06 am

No. Life is based on material physical entities and processes. No ghosts, no demons, no spirits, no soul.

ruveyn

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 10:07 am

auntblabby wrote:

That thin grey mist is was either a gas or some condensate. It was NOT supernatural.

ruveyn

Last edited by ruveyn on 29 May 2010, 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 11:12 am

I do not believe in ghosts. Have we really left the medieval period? :arrow:

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 11:23 am

Aspiewordsmith wrote:
I do not believe in ghosts. Have we really left the medieval period? :arrow:

We never will. The medieval period is not so much a time in history as it is a state of mind, where Europeans sought to transcend themselves and become supernatural. We think we know better, but the desire to become supernatural appeals to lots of people.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 11:45 am

I could be wrong but I think this belief in the spirit world goes farther back than the medieval period.

Many cultures still today celebrate the dead or those whom they believe transcended to another world of their own.

I don't think superstition will die anytime soon as long as people miss their loved ones and enjoy celebrating them in their own ways.

Last edited by MissConstrue on 29 May 2010, 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 11:49 am

Aye, for example, i've read that in the syncretic version of buddhism / shinto in Japan, when someone dies, he becomes a kami that protects the household. =/ (It's usually the father, since it's a patriarchal society)

It should also be noted as such, that some people gain more "prestige" when they die. Or at least are remembered for it, i don't think i need to say more, right everyone? <.<

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 11:25 pm

ruveyn wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

That thin grey mist is was either a gas or some condensate. It was NOT supernatural.

i'd like to hear you expound on the possible nature of the gas or condensate.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 11:31 pm

lotuspuppy wrote:

What do you think?

Discovery Channel should air this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQDf0rj6nXc[/youtube]