Page 4 of 25 [ 396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 25  Next

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 10:11 pm

Exclavius wrote:
4. Thou Shalt Not impose thy morality upon thine neighbor.

I don't know about that, I think some of that is necessary to be imposed somehow, (and well, how about imposing atheism? :P ask Creationists if they think evolution is an atheistic imposition already) and Sand has a point about free-will.

Exclavius
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 10:17 pm

Re: Sand & #8
I did put the edit in there... Right at the bottom.

It also does kinda conflict with #1... unless you put a caveat on it.
But wait.. if there is no free will, what's the point of compiling a list, cause we're just gonna do what we're gonna do anyways.

Re: Greenblue
Dang... being a god-like law writer isn't all it's cracked up to be, eh? Just think of all the caveats that would be needed..... All those "unless this" "except that" etc.

Thou shalt not impose thy morality upon others, except for where it applies to this list.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 8:34 am

I suppose that on Sunday mornings, we will be listening to a Biologist read verses from Charles Darwin's Origin of Species, and then listening to sermons based loosely around the verses.

I wonder what our hymns will be like?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 9:25 am

pandabear wrote:
I suppose that on Sunday mornings, we will be listening to a Biologist read verses from Charles Darwin's Origin of Species, and then listening to sermons based loosely around the verses.

Science is not religion.

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 9:29 am

ruveyn wrote:
pandabear wrote:

Science is not religion.

ruveyn

And equally, religion is not science.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 2:11 pm

Sand wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
pandabear wrote:

Science is not religion.

ruveyn

And equally, religion is not science.

And the cake is a lie.

manifoldrob
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Jul 2010, 6:01 pm

Please sign me up as a card-carrying WP Strident Atheist! I am so glad there is such a group on WP. The first few posts I stumbled upon people mentioned their strong faith and I thought this place really is not for me. But I saw a link to this thread in someone's signature so all is well!

I have always been an atheist and ready to argue with any superstitious person at any time. I consider myself a radical atheist as defined by Douglas Adams (he and Richard Dawkins and Kurt Vonnegut are my heroes). I don't respect anyone's beliefs and I will dispute anyone's beliefs in God or gods just as quickly as they would dispute someone's belief in Odin or praying to Santa.

I am so glad you guys are here. Please count me in your numbers!

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2010, 10:09 pm

Sorry for being late. I added you, manifoldrob.

Members
Awesomelyglorious
Fuzzy
skafather84
Sand
Master_Pedant
DentArthurDent
Exclavius
Ergo Proxy
manifoldrob
Cheeseroyale34
LKL
MONKEY

Last edited by Awesomelyglorious on 12 Jul 2010, 8:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 12:59 am

manifoldrob wrote:
Please sign me up as a card-carrying WP Strident Atheist! I am so glad there is such a group on WP. The first few posts I stumbled upon people mentioned their strong faith and I thought this place really is not for me. But I saw a link to this thread in someone's signature so all is well!

I have always been an atheist and ready to argue with any superstitious person at any time. I consider myself a radical atheist as defined by Douglas Adams (he and Richard Dawkins and Kurt Vonnegut are my heroes). I don't respect anyone's beliefs and I will dispute anyone's beliefs in God or gods just as quickly as they would dispute someone's belief in Odin or praying to Santa.

I am so glad you guys are here. Please count me in your numbers!

Hi! Welcome here. You'll learn more about evolution and the bible more than anything here as an active strident atheist. Occasionally there's geopolitics but that tends to go on certain topics. Israel tends to be a focus since there are strident Zionists on the board and a lot of the lack of geopolitical stability ends up going back to Israel.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 3:05 pm

manifoldrob wrote:
Please sign me up as a card-carrying WP Strident Atheist!

Welcome newest member.

Cheeseroyale34
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jul 2010, 10:07 pm

Sign me up as a Strident Atheist too! I am willing to whip out my rationality and reason to combat superstition any day of the week!

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 10:11 pm

Cheeseroyale34 wrote:
Sign me up as a Strident Atheist too! I am willing to whip out my rationality and reason to combat superstition any day of the week!

As an atheist who has wandered these threads for a reasonable time I can assure you that rationality and reason is useless against people who are confirmed believers in much of the nonsense of religion. Very bright people here believe in a superpower and reason has no effect whatsoever on them.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 10:52 pm

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2010, 11:43 pm

Basically, I sign up anybody who asks, unless it is obvious that they are faking.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 1:47 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Basically, I sign up anybody who asks, unless it is obvious that they are faking.

ooh. Character background checks.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 8:08 pm

Can I join you??
I consider myself to have strong atheist (lack of) beliefs. And creationism annoys me.

Also @LKL, jesus and mo ftw