Page 20 of 25 [ 396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 25  Next

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2011, 7:26 pm

I am not really sure that the anti-semitic conclusion is "the Jews all must be punished", but rather that "the Jews carry blame for the situation".

In any case... I don't really feel interested in carrying the discussion further. I see some of the moral invocations you use to make your case as red herrings, and... well... to be honest, I didn't support half of LKL's arguments in their current form too strongly anyway.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2011, 7:28 pm

91 wrote:
01001011 wrote:
I am not interested in these hair splitting exercises. However, I am interested in what is the objective basis for judging which interpretation is more correct? (Indeed, how do you define a correct interpretation?)

The process is called exegesis.

Right, and the issue is that most theologians tend toward eisegesis, as they implicitly project assumptions maintaining their view of scripture onto the text itself. The scholars, however, tend towards much more difficult notions for their religions. This is why people who engage in Biblical criticism usually end up holding to more liberal interpretations of the text than conservatives usually justify.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2011, 10:23 pm

peterd wrote:
This is strident atheism? Arguing about the historical foundations of a single holy book when the earthshaking truth is that god never existed? Please...

You forget: all an atheist has to do to be considere 'strident' is to say out loud that they are an atheist.

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 4:26 pm

i would like to join your group

i do not believe in a deity but i will defend to the death anyones right to practice their religion even though i do not have the same views
as Voltaire said: "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
I have been very outspoken against deities recently in the forums in case none of you have noticed my absurdly long posts using religious text to help disprove religion

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 4:29 pm

I am with TheKing on supporting religions without conforming to them. I consider myself a Human Patriot and am proud of the cultural achievements and beauty of our species' diverse philosophies
I am an Atheist, but I believe that if a deity were to exist, it is not supernatural, but rather extra-terrestrial or extra-universal. So I don't know where I stand in relation to most other atheists

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 6:17 pm

Vigilans wrote:
I am with TheKing on supporting religions without conforming to them. I consider myself a Human Patriot and am proud of the cultural achievements and beauty of our species' diverse philosophies
I am an Atheist, but I believe that if a deity were to exist, it is not supernatural, but rather extra-terrestrial or extra-universal. So I don't know where I stand in relation to most other atheists

I have a somewhat similar position. I think the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob was an advance race of E.T. beings. Totally natural but very far beyond the capabilities of humans at that time. The Jews as a people resulted because these race of E.T.s violated the Prime Directive.

ruveyn

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 7:12 pm

in my heart, i completely agree with theking and vigilans' respect of religions. in my brain, i tell my heart to "stfu and keep pumping blood. RESPECT the importance of thinking." it seems to have listened.

(cartoon by Don Addis)

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 7:45 pm

Updated list:
Awesomelyglorious
Fuzzy
skafather84
Sand
Master_Pedant
DentArthurDent
Exclavius
Ergo Proxy
manifoldrob
Cheeseroyale34
LKL
MONKEY
Bethie
just_ben
MasterJedi
Vince
Sonariah
TheKing
dunbots
Kenjuudo
ryan93

Vigilans wrote:

As for "where you stand", all this means is that you are probably somewhere in the 6 on Dawkins' scale for disbelief.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectrum_o ... ormulation

This is perfectly fine. I think 6s are common among thinking atheists.

Last edited by Awesomelyglorious on 27 Jan 2011, 8:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 8:04 pm

Well according to that list, I'm a 7, can I join? 8) What does one do in this club anyways?

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 8:12 pm

thanx for adding me to the updated list

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 8:45 pm

dunbots wrote:
Well according to that list, I'm a 7, can I join? 8) What does one do in this club anyways?

Church, thrice weekly, four hour masses. Thinly sliced bread.

Kenjuudo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 7:15 am

I'm a strident atheist too. Please add me! :)

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 8:04 am

Add me! I'm a member of the local Skeptic club, converted 3 people to that crazy "rationality" cult, and I post on every religious thread!

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 12:00 pm

Fuzzy wrote:
dunbots wrote:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5tGpMcFF7U[/youtube]

dennet seems to think TED is our church. i don't see a problem with that.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 1:29 pm

waltur wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:
dunbots wrote:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5tGpMcFF7U[/youtube]

dennet seems to think TED is our church. i don't see a problem with that.

Amen?

I'd make a pilgrimage to a TED talk. My favorites are Dan Ariely and Aimee Mullins.

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 12:39 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
As for "where you stand", all this means is that you are probably somewhere in the 6 on Dawkins' scale for disbelief.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectrum_o ... ormulation

This is perfectly fine. I think 6s are common among thinking atheists.

I'm a number 10 on the scale

im beyond Atheist im an AntiTheist

Last edited by TheKing on 04 Feb 2011, 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.