I am a little bit radical (left-libertarian) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other (explain in thread) 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 16

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 10:31 pm

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt114521.html

^ This earlier thread questioned whether people with Asperger's tend to be institutionally conservative (i.e. favour the status quo) or socially conservative. Awesomelyglorious comes up - midway through the first section of the thread -with, what I think, is the awesomely glorious idea that Aspergian people tend to be radical in their politics .

Indeed, Baron Cohen noted one such individual:

Asperger syndrome: Gift or Curse? wrote:
Baron-Cohen... recalls one man with Asperger syndrome who portrayed his political views as 'green fascism': the belief anyone spoiling nature should be shot'

LINK!! !

My question is do people with Asperger's tend to be Radical, Reactionary, or Syncretic (i.e. "extreme") in their opinions?

Radical: Favours rapid, fundamental change.
Reactionary: Favours rapid backpeddling to former golden eras.
Syncretic: Combines extreme elements from opposite ends of the spectrum (i.e. "National Bolshevism"). Different from centrism (which combines moderate elements of the left and right) in that it combines the most extreme elements of both sides of the spectrum to undermine the status quo.

I admit that reactionary and radical are a bit redudant, since many reactionaries want to return to a past that never really existed (so they're effectively creating something new).

I'd also like to ask whether Aspergian politics tends to be a bit more ideological and systemized than most. I noticed, when debating libertarians on other forums at a much younger age, that while I rejected their ideology my own counter-politics was very much as systematic and rigid are their own (my politics has loosened since). Do people with Asperger's tend to focus on theoretical abstractions and systems more so than "common sense" and "pragmatism" when constructing a political worldivew?

Last edited by Master_Pedant on 16 Jun 2010, 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 10:52 pm

Even though reactionaries fail to restore the past and have bad ideas of the past, I don't think there is a redundancy. Reactionaries still approach political problems very differently than radicals even if they are filled with delusions in their approach.

That being said, is your poll all inclusive? Or am I misunderstanding the option system?

For instance, you don't take libertarianism to all levels, so there is no "radical libertarians", only those who are a little bit radical, however, there is a radical left, and radical right option.

I just ask, because cultural conservatism pisses me off, along with a large military and aggressive foreign policy, and "radical right" really just makes me think "fascist". I mean, left-libertarians really are fine with the term "radical left", but right libertarians don't identify very much with the right necessarily. I mean, I think most people would say that I am "radical" rather than a little bit so.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 10:55 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Even though reactionaries fail to restore the past and have bad ideas of the past, I don't think there is a redundancy. Reactionaries still approach political problems very differently than radicals even if they are filled with delusions in their approach.

That being said, is your poll all inclusive? Or am I misunderstanding the option system?

For instance, you don't take libertarianism to all levels, so there is no "radical libertarians", only those who are a little bit radical, however, there is a radical left, and radical right option.

I just ask, because cultural conservatism kind of pisses me off, along with a large military and aggressive foreign policy, and "radical right" really just makes me think "fascist". I mean, left-libertarians really are fine with the term "radical left", but right libertarians don't identify very much with the right necessarily.

Everything is fixed!

Everything should be as complicated as necessary, if not more complicated!

Last edited by Master_Pedant on 20 Jun 2010, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 10:56 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
Everything so be as complicated as necessary, if not more complicated!

Is that your motto??

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 10:57 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Master_Pedant wrote:
Everything so be as complicated as necessary, if not more complicated!

Is that your motto??

For this context, sure!

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2010, 11:22 pm

By the way, AG, were the 1979 Iranian Revolutionists radicals or reactionaires under your view?

countzarroff
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jun 2010, 5:42 am

fiscally radical left
socially conservative

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2010, 9:21 am

Master_Pedant wrote:
By the way, AG, were the 1979 Iranian Revolutionists radicals or reactionaires under your view?

Whatever they felt they were really.

Malachi_Rothschild
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jun 2010, 9:58 am

I'm pretty far left on most issues but can't stand the majority of other people who are because they're like sheep. They get upset if I think critically about any of their dogmas. I run into it frequently at the liberal arts college that I'm attending although lately the administration has begun to take my criticisms of the way that identity politics are handled more seriously.

I remember having that issue while I was still a vegan. Other vegans got angry when I openly stated that I have no issue with slaughtering animals for food, that I'm more concerned with how it's done and most concerned with how the animals have lived. I said I probably woudn't hesitate to eat hunted game and that, if I knew of a source for humanely slaughtered meat from animals that had lived in good conditions then I would readily eat it because I feel the financial support of humane practices is more beneficial than abstention.

I think the difference may be that people on the spectrum are less likely to think along party lines.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2010, 12:46 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Master_Pedant wrote:

Whatever they felt they were really.

Okay, did they approach problems the way radicals or reactionaires do?

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2010, 12:50 pm

Malachi_Rothschild wrote:

I think the difference may be that people on the spectrum are less likely to think along party lines.

While I'm still turned off by (when taken literally) incoherent statements by people on the left and right, I think there's something more than just dissidence to the party line. People on the Autistic spectrum probably approach politics in a much different manner than people with a mature mirror neuron system (neurotypicals). My hunch would be that people with Asperger's base politics more on anthropological or sociological abstractions of people and social systems rather than on an intutive concept of the person. This tendency probably lends itself towards political outlooks more intellectually consistent and systematic yet also more isolated from the real world.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2010, 1:37 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:

I would tend to guess reactionaries given that the response was to empower even more strongly the traditional religious authorities, even though there were questionable elements in such an interpretation.

Honestly though, I am really not that concerned with the question.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2010, 2:05 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Master_Pedant wrote:

I would tend to guess reactionaries given that the response was to empower even more strongly the traditional religious authorities, even though there were questionable elements in such an interpretation.

Honestly though, I am really not that concerned with the question.

What do you think of this thread's thesis - that a disproportionate amount of people on the autistic spectrum tend to subscribe to radical, reactionary, or syncreticist politics?

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2010, 2:07 pm

Syncretic considering that I want certain laws rescinded as well as new ones created that would both have sweeping and immediate effects.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2010, 2:07 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
What do you think of this thread's thesis - that a disproportionate amount of people on the autistic spectrum tend to subscribe to radical, reactionary, or syncreticist politics?

You mean that autistics tend to be more extremist? I already said that I believed this was true. Nobody who has voted has claimed to be mainstream.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2010, 2:10 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Master_Pedant wrote:

You mean that autistics tend to be more extremist? I already said that I believed this was true. Nobody who has voted has claimed to be mainstream.

But these are also only the people who post here in the political arena of the site. If you got people who were mostly apolitical (as much of the world is), you'd get much more mainstream and moderate responses. It's when one invests heavy time into looking into subjects that extreme responses are formed because of the nature of how ruined many aspects of society are due to poor policy and ill-conceived laws that have both become endemic to society but are still dregs on society (just, most people have learned to ignore it since they're not directly affected by it).

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson