Page 1 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 7:37 pm

...you will believe in a God?

I'm just wondering since in my other thread it seems like its really hard for atheists to be convinced a God exists.

Does all suffering on earth need to end?
Do you need to physically see God?
Does science need to bend its rules all of a sudden?
A person punching themselves out from the grave? 8O

Your thoughts please...

you_are_what_you_is
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 7:49 pm

It certainly wouldn't be good enough for me to have some sort of 'personal experience of God' - if I started receiving what one could call 'messages from God', or anything like that, then I'd just assume that I'm hallucinating and need to seek psychiatric help.

The scientific view of the world has undergone many revolutions in the past. None of those would have encouraged me to believe in God had I lived when they occured, and I'm not sure why I should expect future revolutions to do so.

Lots of people returning from the dead, the end of all suffering, etc, could be evidence of interference from some higher intelligence.

Events in the future may convince me to believe in God according to certain definitions of the term, but I doubt I could ever believe in the God of the major monotheisms. I think such a God is impossible: a contradiction given the conditions of life. I know there are many people who have attempted the contradiction(s), but I don't consider any of them to have been successful.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 7:51 pm

I need a harem of bisexual women, a six car garage, and 200 billion dollars. You may pray for these things for me.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 8:03 pm

Pistonhead wrote:
I need a harem of bisexual women, a six car garage, and 200 billion dollars. You may pray for these things for me.

Last edited by jc6chan on 12 Jul 2010, 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thandurin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Jul 2010, 8:10 pm

Pistonhead wrote:

I was going to post a lengthy essay on what exactly it would take me to convert to whatever religion the OP is pushing but this will suffice.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 8:12 pm

Um... for the record, I do believe in God. Your other thread was just incredibly stupid.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 8:12 pm

jc6chan wrote:
"Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." Matthew 19:24

"Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven".

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 8:46 pm

Orwell wrote:
Um... for the record, I do believe in God. Your other thread was just incredibly stupid.

I don't see you ever debating AwesomelyGlorious

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 8:47 pm

Pistonhead wrote:
jc6chan wrote:
"Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." Matthew 19:24

"Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven".

Why? You think Hell is that great?

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 8:57 pm

Sure, we'll go with that. The lake of burning sulfur part isn't my favorite but at least I still retain free will. If you've read revelations you know that no impurity will enter heaven.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 9:07 pm

jc6chan wrote:
Orwell wrote:

I have debated him in the past on various issues. I normally don't get involved in arguing against the atheists on here because for me, faith is more of a personal thing. I don't have any proof for my religion, and I'm not interested in cramming it down others' throats when I still have my own questions to try to answer.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 9:14 pm

jc6chan wrote:
Orwell wrote:

He does not want to be wrong. :P

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 9:34 pm

As for what would convince me? I dunno, what could convince you to be an atheist? I mean, a complete revolution in one's ways of thinking is rarely perceived as to what it may be. As it stands, most of my view of reality is not very theistic or teleological when explaining the world, and few religions seem to match what I would consider reasonable in any sense. So... I think an outright paradigm shift has to happen, and this will require a plausible and compelling theistic interpretation of reality, and clear explanatory advantages of it over a non-theistic interpretation.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 9:45 pm

Reproducible results that directly point in a specific direction with regards to a defined deity.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 10:07 pm

Pistonhead wrote:
Sure, we'll go with that. The lake of burning sulfur part isn't my favorite but at least I still retain free will. If you've read revelations you know that no impurity will enter heaven.

Do you believe the Bible is true? That sounds like a stupid choice then. Besides, free will depends on how you see it. The Holy Spirit changes the way you think.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 10:09 pm

Of course I don't, but you'll believe it more than you'll believe anything from the non-existent book of atheism.